OT: The non-Video Game, Game Thread

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I've played board games more than I care to remember and the people I played with were "expert-level" board gamers. This made a game like Arkham/Eldritch Horror un-enjoyable. Took entirely too long to setup and too long to read through all the erratas through the play-through. You'd have the "experts" jumping back and forth between the same locations over and over again knowing the odds of favorable outcomes and correcting casuals who just wanted to play the game but continued to lose sanity in the witch house or some other place they had no business being in.

We basically broke Dracula. Virtually impossible for Dracula to win with competent hunters. Had to house-rule Marvel Heroes to make it enjoyable.

Given that our gaming group started to have more wives/gfs we started to move away from games like Arkham to games that casuals could participate in and yet "experts" could still enjoy. This is reflected in my list below. A good game should be able to merge casuals with experts and create a unique gaming experience each time.

Favorites:
Citadels (Love this game but entirely depends on your group)
Through the Ages
Agricola
Galaxy Trucker
Puerto Rico
Cosmic Encounter (Yes. I know this errated all to hell and can be complex but it's my favorite game and I can't help but mention it. Plus, no one but me loves this game in our group)
Bohnanza (super casual, easy)
RA (friends enjoyed it, me less so)
Recently we've been playing some game where you draw two decks, meld them and play. Forget the name.

Also substitute drunk expert for any place above where casual is referenced.

i like you

we would get along

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
These are the two best versions of Clue you can own AINEC:

10472138_10152997999055709_5572326760032448262_n.jpg

Forget lead pipes and candle sticks and libraries and such not, what could be better than:

"It was Mialee in the Forgotten Crypt with the Ring of Magic Missiles"

or

"Bernadette dog eared the Comic Book in the Laundry Room"

False. This is the best version of Clue you can own

MOV_5f0e710c_b.jpg

Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Madeline Kahn, and Martin Mull FTW.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
BanginLikeaBiscuit is still alive, people. I can verify. He very gracefully lost at the games we played tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad