OT: Team made up of BC born players.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
BC+Flag.jpg

I was just thinking, what if there was a tournament between teams that only consisted of local players. What would the BC team look like? I know we would be in tough against Ontario/Quebec but I think it would be an interesting exercise.

Some local boys include:
Forwards
RNH
Evander Kane
Milan Lucic
Jamie Benn
Andrew Ladd
Ryan Johansen
Troy Brouwer
Kyle Turris
Brett Connolly
Sam Reinhart
Max Reinhart

Defense
Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis
Jason Garrison
Willie Mitchell
Justin Schultz
Brent Seabrook
Karl Alzner
Eric Brewer
Morgan Rielly
Griffin Reinhart

Goalies
Carey Price
Jason Labarbera

Doesn't look as bad as I thought, the D looks especially good and impossible to score against. :yo: Offensive depth is pretty bad but the top end talent isn't terrible. What would the lineup look like? Would you put RNH as 1st line C based on pure talent someone with more experience?

What about an all time team? What would the teams of other provinces look like? Minnesota and Michigan churn out so many players, they would be pretty competitive too.

I think someone needs to assemble these teams in NHL '13 to simulate the results.

Last edited:

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Does someone like D. Keith who grew up in BC (?) count?

I think you can make a case for some players that were born somewhere else but spent most of their careers/lives here in BC, but a quick check on Wiki shows that Keith was already 14 by the time he moved to BC. I'm not sure he should count.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I think the rule should be that they have to spend at least the majority (up to age 16) of their childhood in BC.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Lucic-RNH-Benn
Ladd-Turris-Kane
Brouwer-Johansen-Connolly
McMillan-Horcoff-Kobasew

Hamhuis-Weber
Seabrook-Garrison
Alzner-Mitchell
Gorges-Schultz

Price
LaBarbera

I know I have Benn and Kane playing their off-wings, but we have to stack the top lines just to generate any decent offence. I guess you could also put Benn as first line C and have Kane on 1st line RW with RNH as 2nd line C.

Our defense looks pretty solid but the O leaves much to be desired.

Lucic-Benn-Kane
Ladd-RNH-Turris

Last edited:

StringerBell

Gorges is better than Brewer, and I'd probably want Schultz over him too at this point TBH.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/active-nhl-players-born-in-british-columbia-2011-12-stats.html

Just checked what the other provinces have in terms of talent. We're not as bad off as it looks. Ontario is far and away the best in terms of Offense, but I think we have the best D-corps. In goal, we are among the best as well. If we played a structured defensive trap game, we could beat most of the other teams.

One trend I have noticed is that BC hockey development has gotten drastically better in the last 5-10 years versus the decade immediately before. Connolly, Reilly, Kane, RNH, Turris, Benn, Reinharts, Lucic, Schultz are all relatively young and will be great players one day if not already, but before this recent group there is a complete lack of talent. In fact the only standout forwards over 25 years of age are Ladd, and Morrison.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Wow, they (well guess) can field a shift, and not to shabby either:

Marchand Crosby Gordon

A. MacDonald Johnson

J MacDonald

Nick the Viking

Aug 7, 2006
Republic of Colwood
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/active-nhl-players-born-in-british-columbia-2011-12-stats.html

Just checked what the other provinces have in terms of talent. We're not as bad off as it looks. Ontario is far and away the best in terms of Offense, but I think we have the best D-corps. In goal, we are among the best as well. If we played a structured defensive trap game, we could beat most of the other teams.

One trend I have noticed is that BC hockey development has gotten drastically better in the last 5-10 years versus the decade immediately before. Connolly, Reilly, Kane, RNH, Turris, Benn, Reinharts, Lucic, Schultz are all relatively young and will be great players one day if not already, but before this recent group there is a complete lack of talent. In fact the only standout forwards over 25 years of age are Ladd, and Morrison.

...that are still playing.

Sakic, Yzerman, Kariay, and Dr. Recchi all could have played on Team-BC within the last decade...not to mention Scott Neidermeyer on D

StringerBell

Can't really credit BC's player development for Yzerman's success.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Can't really credit BC's player development for Yzerman's success.

Yes if you follow some basic guidelines we would lose Yzerman but gain Brind'Amour. You could also make a case for Brett Hull as well, born in Ontario, spent his early years in Chicago, and his teen years in North Van (not sure exactly what the split is). When passed over by major junior he played in the BCJHL.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Sakic, Yzerman, Kariay, and Dr. Recchi all could have played on Team-BC within the last decade...not to mention Scott Neidermeyer on D

While these guys (minus Yzerman) give us some bigger names and a legit all-star first line, I don't think the depth on the rest of the team would have held up. At the very least goaltending would be a huge weakness, with Price being the first legit starter since Andy Moog.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009

Yeah, I'm aware that we have had great players but I am specifically talking about a 10-15 year dark period where little to no offensive talent was churned out after those guys. When I look at BC's active players, there's a real lack of scoring depth.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Ontario is ridiculous on offense:
Steven Stamkos
Claude Giroux
Jason Spezza
James Neal
John Tavares
Joe Thornton
Eric Staal
Tyler Seguin
Logan Couture
Rick Nash
Corey Perry

And this is just the top 10 or so.

Their D ain't so bad either;
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Campbell
Bieksa
Burns
Del Zotto
Fowler
Subban

Goaltending is the only position we have a clear advantage in; Mike Smith vs. Carey Price. I know Smith was outstanding this past season but he hasn't put up consistent stats like Price has, neither does he have the pedigree.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Price is the first BC Goaltender to come along in a while that I would feel comfortable with in a best-on-best competition. Although Quebec continues to maintain their advantage in the goaltending department, IMO.

BC has a solid group, though. I would love to see an Inter-Province Tournament of some kind...a real "Canada Cup".

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I can remember about 5 years ago when this potential roster looked absolutely putrid. Now it looks like a bit of a dark horse. Lots of younger stars coming up like RNH, Price, Weber, Benn, etc. Good to see!

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I think the most tightly contested game with the most hatred between us would be the Alberta vs BC or BC vs. Sask. games.

Ontario vs. Quebec would probably be the game with the most hatred for each other overall.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
What about an all time team?
Post-expansion:

Kariya - Yzerman - Neely
Recchi - Sakic - Anderson
G. Courtnall - Ronning - R. Courtnall
Adams - Peter McNab - Morrison
Walter
Deadmarsh

Doug Bodger
Doug Lidster
Barry Beck
Bob Rouse
Murray Baron
Joe Reekie

Andy Moog
Cesare Maniago

Bold = players who have played at home during their careers.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Haha, i think Saskatchewan puts a better roster together than Alberta.

As is, I think Team Ontario takes the cake. The forwards are too young on BC. In two years? I'd bet on team BC.

Last edited:

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC
Team BC would rely on all the players buying into playing a hard-working, grinding defensive style. We have a lot less skill than the other provinces, but have great hitting and the best defense in my opinion, to go with above-average goaltending.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Haha, i think Saskatchewan puts a better roster together than Alberta.

As is, I think Team Ontario takes the cake. The forwards are too young on BC. In two years? I'd bet on team BC.

Ontario's only weak point is goal-tending, Mike Smith is good but last season could have been a product of playing behind one of the most structured defensive team in hockey or a fluke season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad