OT summer vacation in Finland

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So me and my so are going to do a Finland tour in the summer.

This is the plan:
Ferry to Turku

Two nights in Turku
Train to Tampere
One or two nights in Tampere
Train to Vaasa
Two nights in Vaasa
Train to Helsinki
One night in Helsinki
Ferry home

Vaasa I know has good second hand but what can't be missed in Turku and Tampere?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Any museums that should be visited? Went to the pharmacy museum in Turku this winter, which was nice.

I know pretty much nothing about Tampere except manse-rock.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Any museums that should be visited? Went to the pharmacy museum in Turku this winter, which was nice.

Spy museum is pretty interesting. Though, you should only go there if you have energy to read 'cos there are a lot of written stories. There are tours as well so maybe they tell the best ones.

I've heard that the hockey museum is a waste of time.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Spy museum is pretty interesting. Though, you should only go there if you have energy to read 'cos there are a lot of written stories. There are tours as well so maybe they tell the best ones.

I've heard that the hockey museum is a waste of time.
Spy museum is more my gf's jam. Remember if the texts are also in Swedish or English? I did the unholy thing and got myself a Swedish gf.. The police museum in Tampere is also a must as she works at the Swedish one..

She is also a rollercoaster junky.. Would Särkänniemi in Tampere or Linnanmäki in Helsinki be the best bet? It's summer so I am guessing both will be full of those odd annoying short creatures.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Spy museum is more my gf's jam. Remember if the texts are also in Swedish or English? I did the unholy thing and got myself a Swedish gf.. The police museum in Tampere is also a must as she works at the Swedish one..

She is also a rollercoaster junky.. Would Särkänniemi in Tampere or Linnanmäki in Helsinki be the best bet? It's summer so I am guessing both will be full of those odd annoying short creatures.

I am pretty sure there were texts at least in English. I think you should contact the museum and ask just to be certain.

I haven't been to Särkänniemi in many years so I don't know much about it. I'm sure there is a rollercoaster. Linnanmäki at least has several.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Will we have to book our trains in advance, do trains between Helsinki and Tampere (Pendelino), Tampere and Vaasa (Intercity) or Vaasa Turku (probably intercity to Tampere with change there) usually sell out?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Will we have to book our trains in advance, do trains between Helsinki and Tampere (Pendelino), Tampere and Vaasa (Intercity) or Vaasa Turku (probably intercity to Tampere with change there) usually sell out?

I doubt they sell out but the earlier you book, the cheaper the tickets are.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004

I like the Vapriikki complex, which includes the ice hockey museum and video game museum. Pyynikki observation tower with the famous doughnuts is also a must for me, when visiting Tampere in the summer. That area has some nice nature walks as well. The Pyynikki stairs are also famous within the Finnish hockey lore as a place where the Tampere teams have done some serious conditioning.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I like the Vapriikki complex, which includes the ice hockey museum and video game museum. Pyynikki observation tower with the famous doughnuts is also a must for me, when visiting Tampere in the summer. That area has some nice nature walks as well. The Pyynikki stairs are also famous within the Finnish hockey lore as a place where the Tampere teams have done some serious conditioning.
Ooh! Videogame museum! We are both big geeks. Finnish doughnuts need to be introduced to my gf!

Vapriikki was interesting as I have tried explaining why Tampere is Manse and there seems to be a manserock exhibition there too!

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: CPFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad