News Article: OT: Red Sox leaving Pawtucket

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/s...always-had-mccoy-stadium.html?ref=topics&_r=1

Tremendous read in the New York Times on McCoy Stadium.

Maybe it was time. Maybe.

Still, the ends to which the new owners avoided use of “McCoy” in their statements of scripted exuberance could only wound the Bucket faithful.

But the next time you’re driving along I-95 in spring or summer, exit in Pawtucket. Risk the five minutes it takes to reach McCoy. Enjoy the free parking. Splurge for a $13 box seat. And buy the ghost beside you a beer, before all of this slips into the sinkhole of memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Well, this makes Larry's next move significantly easier.

And jogging at that age, even beyond 40 really is bad. Walking.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, this makes Larry's next move significantly easier.

And jogging at that age, even beyond 40 really is bad. Walking.

4127-500h.jpg
:cry:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Pathetic news.

PawSox was a fun family event. Reasonable prices, laid back environment. Guess they weren't making enough profit for the greedy Larry Lucchino who even needs to maximize profit on a minor league development team.

Whoops. Just saw the second page. I definitely don't believe in karma. But if I did....

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pawtucket isn't going anywhere until 2017 so why are we even discussing something that's not happening until then.

Because when they leave Pawtucket after the 2016 season they need a ballpark. Where that new ballpark will be should be known by end of the summer.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I've driven out to McCoy a couple times (was planning on it next week perhaps), so if they're going to move I'd rather see it be to Providence.

As long as they don't rename the team to something stupid like Yard Goats

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I've driven out to McCoy a couple times (was planning on it next week perhaps), so if they're going to move I'd rather see it be to Providence.

As long as they don't rename the team to something stupid like Yard Goats
They could rename it the "Polar Bears" since that seems to be their new logo instead of red socks.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
They could rename it the "Polar Bears" since that seems to be their new logo instead of red socks.

That is because unofficially they're the Pawsox. You know paw as in bears have paws.

No different than the Sabres having a buffalo for a logo. Wtf does a buffalo have to do with a sword (in a vacuum).

I half want them to move just so it'll blow up in their faces. No chance they make as much money in Worcester as currently in Pawtucket

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
{Mod}

Hey I love Worcester :)

I don't want to see the Pawsox leave Rhode Island.

They've been the PawSox as long as I've been alive (longer in fact) but I'm not opposed to them moving, so long as they remain in New England. I understand what they mean to the state of Rhode Island and the City of Pawtucket. But tbh, if they ended up at a new ballpark in Worcester I'd love that. You'd have the AAA Sox and the Bravehearts for baseball in the summer. And believe me, Worcester would be ALL OVER the chance to get them, especially after just losing the AHL Sharks. Getting hockey back is on the city's agenda as well, but at this rate it won't be the AHL. However it could be the ECHL affiliate of the Bruins, which would be the ideal. Having the AAA Red Sox and the AA Bruins would be a coup for Worcester.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
McCoy is the baseball equivalent to XL, and nothing has changed there except renovations on what, exactly.

if you read the Pawsox letter to its fanbase, there's no mention of any specific location in the Commonwealth, and where does Worcester fit into that.....

how many times can any facility, an arena/ballpark be renovated or even proposed just as Providence building one for them, or even Hartford's proposed stadium hasn't even hit shovel to dirt, and that's sooner than this.

in this day and age arenas/stadiums are being fought tooth and nail even after passing the approval stage.... Wasn't the Dunkin Donuts Center among the initial renovated arenas, it took CIA in Portland multiple years to be done without changing the aesthetics of the existing facility, Mass Mutual in Springfield is another, isn't it also true that even TD Garden is undergoing renovations, and this has already been discusseds in the Sox thread when the Pawsox were bought in February, I don't see a need to split out the Pawtucket issue because it's already been decided that the Providence contract and subsequent discussions over said ballpark. the intention is not leaving RI, JUST McCoy.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
McCoy is the baseball equivalent to XL, and nothing has changed there except renovations on what, exactly.

if you read the Pawsox letter to its fanbase, there's no mention of any specific location in the Commonwealth, and where does Worcester fit into that.....

how many times can any facility, an arena/ballpark be renovated or even proposed just as Providence building one for them, or even Hartford's proposed stadium hasn't even hit shovel to dirt, and that's sooner than this.

in this day and age arenas/stadiums are being fought tooth and nail even after passing the approval stage.... Wasn't the Dunkin Donuts Center among the initial renovated arenas, it took CIA in Portland multiple years to be done without changing the aesthetics of the existing facility, Mass Mutual in Springfield is another, isn't it also true that even TD Garden is undergoing renovations, and this has already been discusseds in the Sox thread when the Pawsox were bought in February, I don't see a need to split out the Pawtucket issue because it's already been decided that the Providence contract and subsequent discussions over said ballpark. the intention is not leaving RI, JUST McCoy.

ummm...that's very not true

CFjFNw4UsAAtVdB.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

McCoy was built as a corrupt WPA project in the late 30's by Pawtucket Mayor Thomas McCoy and the stadium wound up coating more than Notre Dame Stadium built at roughly the same time. It was expanded in 1999 but the main grandstand is pretty much as it was built.

If Providence falls through the Red Sox will look at other options and Worcester would jump to the top of the list and Foxborough a dark horse.

Pawtucket is floating an idea of building a new park where Narraganset Park once stood.

4c2Zpgc.jpg

Skeffington was the point man in Rhode Island and told Lucchino to keep a low profile. It remains to be seen who will replace Skeffington.

Downtown stadiums seem to work the best in New England as we have seen successes in Manchester, Portland and Lowell. We also saw failures in Old Orchard Beach and Norwich, CT. New Britain is moving to Hartford next year and construction is on schedule to open next April.

We should know by the end of the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad