Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
From San Jose Mercury columnist, Mark Purdy:

MercPurdy 11:01pm via Web I can confirm that MLB has told Oakland to get A's lease done or have A's play at AT&T next season -- but even A's don't expect it to happen

MercPurdy 11:03pm via Web
Of course, if Oakland remains as inept as it's been through whole A's ballpark process, the city might blunder into sending the team to SF.

MercPurdy 11:04pm via Web
More likely, Oakland will wake up & give A's what team wants--a short-term lease to keep playing at O.co Coliseum. Will likely happen soon.

MercPurdy 11:10pm via Web
MLB has right to force Giants to agree, just as MLB is keeping A's out of San Jose. @fifthstarter Did the Giants agree to this first?

MercPurdy 11:16pm via Web
Yanks & Mets shared Shea Stadium in 70's during a Yankee Stadium remodel @keno_ @fifthstarter that's crazy. Too many games to share a season

MikeWarren421 11:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
@MercPurdy @keno_ @fifthstarter Angels and Dodgers shared too while Anaheim stadium was being built.

That could make Giants really hate the Athletics.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Schedules have already been released so they would have to rework a huge part of the schedule if the two teams had to play in the same stadium.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I can confirm that MLB has told Oakland to get A's lease done or have A's play at AT&T next season -- but even A's don't expect it to happen

That could make Giants really hate the Athletics.

How ironic that would be. The Giants don't want the A's moving to San Jose, putting them further away. A's may not be able to get a lease for next season and the short term solution is the A's moving into the same stadium as the Giants.

Can't get much closer than that :)

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So is that Twitter exchange saying MLB could force SF to accept Oakland in the SF stadium, but cant force them to accepting Oakland in SJ??

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, what? If the Giants are adamantly against letting the A's move into San Jose, there's no flipping way they'd be cool with letting them use their ballpark, maybe even even if they got a prohibitively huge share of the gate.

Unless it's a heavy handed threat to try to force the Giants to acquiesce on San Jose.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Purdy's overnight tweets include that the team is looking for five year deal, while the city is offering 8 year term.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't get the big deal with moving to San Jose. AT&T Park is 16 miles from where the A's play. As a reference, HP Pavilion (Errr SAP Center) is 48 miles from AT&T Park. They would actually be moving the A's FURTHER from the Giants.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't get the big deal with moving to San Jose. AT&T Park is 16 miles from where the A's play. As a reference, HP Pavilion (Errr SAP Center) is 48 miles from AT&T Park. They would actually be moving the A's FURTHER from the Giants.

That's were all the corporate money is.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I still think this market should essentially be similar to how MLB handles NYC/Chicago/LA, as a shared market with no distinctions, but that might just be me.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I still think this market should essentially be similar to how MLB handles NYC/Chicago/LA, as a shared market with no distinctions, but that might just be me.

Most sane people think that. Problem is that the A's already conceded the territory to the Giants years ago in order to keep them in town.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm not too familiar with the area since I'm an East Coaster... but San Jose is a wealthy area right?

Silicon Valley, nothing else really needs to be said about it. Certainly more money in San Jose than Oakland.

The issue I have with the Giants standing tough on this is that they were ceded San Jose in an act of goodwill by the Athletics when the Giants were having their own issues in getting their stadium built. They're technically within their rights to do this, but that doesn't make them any less of ***** for doing so.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Move them to Vancouver! I believe Montreal, Vancouver and San Antonio are the only cities in Canada/USA with a baseball ready stadium.

Vancouver/Seattle divisional matchup would work very well. :)

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Most sane people think that. Problem is that the A's already conceded the territory to the Giants years ago in order to keep them in town.

This leads me to another question, was it shared before that then? (Not necessarily asking you, but rather everyone else in this thread.)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Is it me or has the stadium well run dry for MLB?

The A's desire to get out is nothing new and the threat it appears MLB is making is to move the team to an exsisting team's stadium? - though short term.

In additon, the only city that wants to build a stadium in in someone else's exsisting territory. If this trend goes on I'd love to see how they handle TB when their lease is up though that's a long time from now.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Is it me or has the stadium well run dry for MLB?

The A's desire to get out is nothing new and the threat it appears MLB is making is to move the team to an exsisting team's stadium? - though short term.

In additon, the only city that wants to build a stadium in in someone else's exsisting territory. If this trend goes on I'd love to see how they handle TB when their lease is up though that's a long time from now.

The problem is that none of the current suggestions are big enough for MLB. They did it to themselves as well. Every market besides Montreal is under 2.5 million people.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm not too familiar with the area since I'm an East Coaster... but San Jose is a wealthy area right?
Yeah. The main reason why the bay areas is the richest in the US. But it's new money. Your average person in Upper Bergen, Morris or Somerset Counties would turn their nose up at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad