OT Non-Ski Resort Thread Part ∞+ 5 part 2. Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
People like you should have your license permanently revoked.

Just because you're in the left lane doesn't give you the right to go as fast as you want.

:laugh: That is a drastic over reaction. Also, they implemented a law just recently prohibiting the very thing I described. I have been driving for 12 years without a single accident or major violation, 1 speeding ticket near 10 years ago.

Just because you are in the left lane doesn't give you the right to go as slow as you want.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
:laugh: That is a drastic over reaction. Also, they implemented a law just recently prohibiting the very thing I described. I have been driving for 12 years without a single accident or major violation, 1 speeding ticket near 10 years ago.

Just because you are in the left lane doesn't give you the right to go as slow as you want.

Left lane, fast. Right lane, slow.

That's how most places drive, except for Vancouver. People just drive however they want.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

There is nothing worse than going 15 KM/h over in the left lane and passing a bunch of people, only to have some ********* ridiing your ass because he wants to go 25 km/h over and thinks he's entitled to it. It's the absolute worst. Scum of the earth. And it happens all the time. That's great that you want to go 170 and think you should be able just because you're in the left. Good for ****ing you. **** off.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
There is nothing worse than going 15 KM/h over in the left lane and passing a bunch of people, only to have some ********* ridiing your ass because he wants to go 25 km/h over and thinks he's entitled to it. It's the absolute worst. Scum of the earth. And it happens all the time. That's great that you're in the left lane and want to go 170. Stay the **** back.

I don't think I've ever gone 170 in a car. 150 maybe. Certainly not in traffic....But if you want to project your issues with someone else on me, that's fine. I can take it.

But if you are going 95 in an 80, and someone faster is coming behind you, what's the harm in moving over to let him pass? That is what the law requires you to do. Only takes a few seconds.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I don't think he said he drives as fast as he wants.

I think of it like this, if you are a safe and conscientious driver, you are good. Never lose control.

Except that is scientifically incorrect. There is a limit to how fast your reactions are, no matter how 'safe' you drive, if you are going too fast you won't have enough time to react to things that happen. Period.

Silicon Valley, anyone watch?

Yes. Excellent show.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I don't think I've ever gone 170 in a car. 150 maybe. Certainly not in traffic....But if you want to project your issues with someone else on me, that's fine. I can take it.

But if you are going 95 in an 80, and someone faster is coming behind you, what's the harm in moving over to let him pass? That is what the law requires you to do. Only takes a few seconds.

There is no legal requirement to move over because someone wants to exceed the speed limit. None whatsoever. That's my point. If I'm going 75 in an 80 then yes, you are correct. But I have no legal obligation to move over just because some ****** wants to go 160.

The fact that you have this attitude indicates that my projections are accurate.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
There is no legal requirement to move over because someone wants to exceed the speed limit. None whatsoever. That's my point. If I'm going 75 in an 80 then yes, you are correct. But I have no legal obligation to move over just because some ****** wants to go 160.

Why do you keep taking it to the extreme? I don't go 160 or 170 or 520.

The Island Highway limit is 120, usually no traffic, and the most I'll go is 135. Might creep up to 140 but back off a bit once I notice it. Not that any of this matters. The signs on the highway say, in clear english "Keep Right, Let Others Pass"

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The fact that you have this attitude indicates that my projections are accurate.

It's the law. If you are driving slower than the normal speed of traffic (not the posted limit), you are required to keep in the right lane.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
AFAI Understand, you can go fast so long as you adjust yourself to plan ahead. I'm not really an optimist, for example I won't tailgate in the HOV lane going 110 because anything can happen that makes the car in front of me slam the brakes suddenly. However, I'll make myself available to go 140 if there is no one in front of me for say 300-400 metres. That's usually enough time to react when I'm going that fast.

The most important thing when driving is to expect the unexpected, that way you are never caught offguard. However, I actually drive for a living.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Why do you keep taking it to the extreme? I don't go 160 or 170 or 520.

Becuase it doesn't matter.

There is a very strong and annoying misconception that is commonly held, that you alluded to in your previous post: the idea that people going 'too slow' in the left need to make room for faster idiots. That is completely, unabashedly incorrect. You are not required to move over if you are going the speed limit. If I am going 95 in a 90 and you want to pass me, then tough **** for you. I am under 0 - ZERO - obligation to make room for you just because 5 KM/h over the limit is too slow for you. And whether it's 5 or 100 or 1 makes no difference. The limit is the limit.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh on you but this is a very prominent and annoying myth that we have in our culture that is really a pet peeve of mine. You have no legal right to go over the speed limit. Whether it's left lane, right lane, middle lane, super lane, hyper lane, whatever. No legal right. Ever. Period.

The Island Highway limit is 120, usually no traffic, and the most I'll go is 135. Might creep up to 140 but back off a bit once I notice it. Not that any of this matters. The signs on the highway say, in clear english "Keep Right, Let Others Pass"

Yes, it does, you are correct. But guess what? The signs also say, in clear English, "speed limit 120 KM/h." You don't get to flagrantly ignore one sign and then get mad at others for ignoring a different one. It's exactly that hypocrisy that drives me insane. If you aren't going to listen to the sign that says you can't go over 120 then I don't have to listen to the sign that says I have to let you pass. End of story.

Picking and choosing which laws you feel like following and then having contempt for people who choose to follow different laws is just simply asinine.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yes, it does, you are correct. But guess what? The signs also say, in clear English, "speed limit 120 KM/h." You don't get to flagrantly ignore one sign and then get mad at others for ignoring a different one. It's exactly that hypocrisy that drives me insane. If you aren't going to listen to the sign that says you can't go over 120 then I don't have to listen to the sign that says I have to let you pass. End of story.

Picking and choosing which laws you feel like following and then having contempt for people who choose to follow different laws is just simply asinine.

I guess that puts us in the same boat then, doesn't it? :laugh:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
People who drive in the left lane being "speed police" are literally worse then hitler.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
People who drive in the left lane being "speed police" are literally worse then hitler.

It's called being courteous. If there is someone behind you who was driving faster than you, and can go faster, move over.

The worst is when you hit a clump formation, and are totally blocked off. This of course is highway driving principally. On small roads do what you like as long as you aren't driving stupidly slow.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
There is nothing worse than going 15 KM/h over in the left lane and passing a bunch of people, only to have some ********* ridiing your ass because he wants to go 25 km/h over and thinks he's entitled to it. It's the absolute worst. Scum of the earth. And it happens all the time. That's great that you want to go 170 and think you should be able just because you're in the left. Good for ****ing you. **** off.

Becuase it doesn't matter.

There is a very strong and annoying misconception that is commonly held, that you alluded to in your previous post: the idea that people going 'too slow' in the left need to make room for faster idiots. That is completely, unabashedly incorrect. You are not required to move over if you are going the speed limit. If I am going 95 in a 90 and you want to pass me, then tough **** for you. I am under 0 - ZERO - obligation to make room for you just because 5 KM/h over the limit is too slow for you. And whether it's 5 or 100 or 1 makes no difference. The limit is the limit.

Not really?

I have no contempt for people driving over the speed limit.

Based on the language above, I would argue the opposite.

The laws regarding the speed limit offer no exemption for persons who are travelling in the left lane.

I didn't saw the speed limit doesn't apply in the left lane. Not once did I even imply that. I understand you can get a speeding ticket driving in the left lane, and honestly feel kinda silly having to say this.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Based on the language above, I would argue the opposite.

In every quoted example I admit to going over the limit, myself.

Try again?

I didn't saw the speed limit doesn't apply in the left lane. Not once did I even imply that. I understand you can get a speeding ticket driving in the left lane, and honestly feel kinda silly having to say this.

You should feel silly. Because it is silly to complain that someone going 120 in a 110 is breaking the law by not making room for you going 135, when you yourself are breaking the law by going that fast. That's all my point ever was.

Remember, you're the one who posted this:

It's the law. If you are driving slower than the normal speed of traffic (not the posted limit), you are required to keep in the right lane.

"It's the law." :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Yes, and going the speed limit is also the law.

Understand?

When you're breaking the law you have no right to complain about other people breaking a different law. End of story.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think if there is a situation where everyone can have what they want with one small gesture why not go for it?

Exactly. Yes, there are many crazy, over-aggressive drivers on the road. They need help, or to be punished, or take their licenses away. But feeding into their anger by doing the things that pisses them off does not help anyone. The road is safer for everyone when everyone is aware of everyone else on the road.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
In every quoted example I admit to going over the limit, myself.

Try again?

You should feel silly. Because it is silly to complain that someone going 120 in a 110 is breaking the law by not making room for you going 135, when you yourself are breaking the law by going that fast. That's all my point ever was.

Remember, you're the one who posted this:

"It's the law." :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Yes, and going the speed limit is also the law.

So what you're saying is, two wrongs make a right?

"Yeah, I am supposed to move out of your way, but you aren't supposed to be going that fast, so I'm in the right"

LOL

Anyways I believe I have made myself clear and no need to take up the OT thread with more of our bickering. Good night.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I think if there is a situation where everyone can have what they want with one small gesture why not go for it?

I grew up in Kelowna, so I drive back there 4-5 times a year.

Every time, I am faced with this situation:

- Speed limit is 110 (It's mostly 120 now, but nvm that for now)
- Right lane is going about 100 or so, mostly because of slow big rigs and the like.
- I move over to the left lane, driving at about 120, to pass a bunch of vehicles.
- Within seconds, there is someone driving 3 feet behind me, clearly wanting to drive like 150 and thinking I should move over for them.
- They can go **** themselves; I am passing lots of trucks and it doesn't make "everyone have what they want" for me to move over and be stuck behind a tractor trailer going 90 just because ******* mcgee wants to drive 150 and I don't want to go that fast.

So that's my point. And I stand by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad