OT: NBA Team Values 2019: Knicks On Top At $4 Billion

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
To quote:

"The average NBA team is worth $1.9 billion, up 13% over last year and three times the level of five years ago. The New York Knicks lead the way, worth $4 billion by Forbes’ count, up 11% from a year ago. (And owner James Dolan says he’s been offered even more: a cool $5 billion.) The club is tied with the New York Yankees as the second-most-valuable U.S. sports franchises after the Dallas Cowboys, which is worth $5 billion."

Source: www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/02/06/nba-team-values-2019-knicks-on-top-at-4-billion/#58fe9907e667

Full List: www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#tab:overall

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Was expecting Lakers to get a higher increase in value with Lebron arrival.

Reactions: Morrison

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Surprised the Celtics are 5th at $2.8 bill

They dont own the stadium or have a piece of it. They are purely tenants at TD Garden. So they dont get the stadium/real estate boost.

Also is how NYK are on top. Big boost from Madison Square Garden, especially with the massive renovation they just did

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Knicks are guaranteed money making machine even when the product is awful.

I guess Lakers are too, but New York is bigger.

Knicks = TML yeah a large wealthy market size are key here. Still impressed how they continue to maintain loyalty despite lack of success in a city with so many alternatives. To be valued as much as the Yankess is quite an accomplishment.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Knicks = TML yeah a large wealthy market size are key here. Still impressed how they continue to maintain loyalty despite lack of success in a city with so many alternatives. To be valued as much as the Yankess is quite an accomplishment.
Well, not really because NBA is a much bigger global brand than MLB.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Well, not really because NBA is a much bigger global brand than MLB.

NBA is more popular but MLB has about twice the revenues. If anything I would expect those more global fans to be less loyal to a specific team and follow hottest one (GSW). Knicks seem to maximize profits while Yankees despite having more revenues invest a lot back to remain competitive on the field.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like the Lakers are just much more of a global brand. I Think more people know of the Lakers than would know the Knicks. At least in the present time. But than again New York is the capital of the world

Reactions: Morrison

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My monthly "there is no way in hell the Atlanta Hawks, New Orleans Pelicans, Memphis Grizzlies, Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, and along with a couple more are worth over a billion dollars" post.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like the Lakers are just much more of a global brand. I Think more people know of the Lakers than would know the Knicks. At least in the present time. But than again New York is the capital of the world

According to Forbes Lakers brand is worth more than Knicks.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Its still not the same setup as the Knicks where one entity owns 100% of the basketball team, hockey team, and arena

Never claimed it was. Was just correcting a point you were trying to make about the Lakers. I could see Anschultz eventually gaining majority control in the future if he wanted it.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Never claimed it was. Was just correcting a point you were trying to make about the Lakers. I could see Anschultz eventually gaining majority control in the future if he wanted it.
The Buss family, like Mark Davis, don't have a lot of money on their own. Their assets are Lakers, and thats it. So yea I can see it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Its still not the same setup as the Knicks where one entity owns 100% of the basketball team, hockey team, and arena

MSG is expected to complete separation of its sports and entertainment assets sometime in Q1 of 19. Arena will remain under MSG control while Knicks, NYR will form the core of the new spinoff sports company.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The Raptors are worth 1.6 billion.. that's more than Forbes has for the leafs and Habs. MLSE must be laughing at all the media that used to write articles about how they should sell the Raptors and focus on the leafs :laugh:. Vancouver owners made a big mistake not holding on to the grizzlies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
more than likely AMG Global as the new entity may have a piece, see the thread about SMG/AEG merging into one with help from ONEX, TL, WILL Staples eventually be folded into the new entity is the question

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
NBA is huge in NYC. When the Knicks are good, they are by far the hottest ticket in town. When they are bad, they have enough die-hards, even though many pay more attention to the Lebron's and Durant's.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Raptors are worth 1.6 billion.. that's more than Forbes has for the leafs and Habs. MLSE must be laughing at all the media that used to write articles about how they should sell the Raptors and focus on the leafs :laugh:. Vancouver owners made a big mistake not holding on to the grizzlies.
I didn't read the article, but I would think a big part of it was the price paid for the Clippers that everyone at the time was crazy. If all ~30 NBA teams were put up for sale today, doubt they all get the full value Forbes is claiming. Doubt there is someone out there who is willing to pay $4B for the Knicks.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The grizzles are in one of the least valuable us markets even grit and grind could not save them from being worth less than New Orleans maybe some owners regret the nba going there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad