OT: Molson Senators Overtime

SLam

Jul 22, 2006
Ottawa
Helllo Sens fans!
I'm a journalism student, and I'm looking into applying for an internship with the local Rogers Channel in Ottawa for their Sens Overtime show. I'm not from the area, so I was hoping fans on here could tell me what they think of the show, and anything that you know. (i.e. Is it any good? Are there any particular segments that you particularly enjoy? What is the general structure of the show like?)

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
The show is mainly aimed at kids as the stories are trivial or women who want to know how their favorite senator lives. I've only watched it around 3 times though so I may not be the best to ask.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
It fills the time nicely when I'm early for a game at the Sc'ank. I can't say I go out of my way to watch it at home though. It's mostly a 'get to know the player' show.

pdog1979

Aug 20, 2007
Overtime is a good show, but it could use a hefty injection of 'cool'. It's a little hokey, a little too 'community' for my likes. The show has lots of potential and it seems like they have great access to the players.

It generally includes 3 interviews (1 current player, 1 prospect, 1 'out-of-towner'), a hockey skills segment, 'Ask the Sens', an 'ask the fans' bit and highlights mixed in.

Here are my thoughts on the show:

- I'd like to see a more in-depth weekly recap of Sens action and more complete highlights from the past week. I do enjoy the plays of the week segment at the end of the show, but overall the show could use more highlights.

- I'd also like to see a 'Notes From the Farm' segment that looks at the minor league team, as well as an update on how other prospects are doing at other levels - CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

- Now that we are 15 years out, a 'This Week in Sens History' segment would be fun and could include interviews with former players/coaches/management. Perhaps a 'Where are They Now' segment, too.

- The 'Ask the Sens' segments are generally good

- Might be interesting - early in the year, anyway - to add a feature looking at all the recent upgrades at Scotiabank Place. I have heard that some new restaurants will be going in this year and other upgrades are being made.

- I must say that the hockey skills segments are pretty awful. The Sens use them between periods during A-Channel/Sportsnet broadcasts and they are not only poor in terms of production value, but just plain boring. I know this could be useful for coaches and whatnot, but I don't think it needs to be included in this show.

- As host, Ian Mendes does a pretty good job, tho he could also use a little 'oomph' of enthusiasm. The other reporters are generally adequate.

- The show could probably use a graphics upgrade. The 'Molson Senators Overtime' logo is pretty lame. The opening and closing credits look like they are out of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em 2!

Hope that is helpful. Good luck with the internship.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
You'd have to get in contact with Dave Davies at Rogers22. He's the producer of the show and calls the shots essentially on how it is run and who becomes a journalist for the show. I know he is usually looking for people, but the problem is many young interns or broadcasters-to-be get nervous around the players and can stumble when asking questions. If you think that you might be a bit intimidated, you'll be removed pretty quickly.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
- The show could probably use a graphics upgrade. The 'Molson Senators Overtime' logo is pretty lame. The opening and closing credits look like they are out of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em 2!

:biglaugh:

Most of the footage are out of the 2002-03 season including a huge hit from Redden on Justin William playing for Philly. I'm surprise there isn't more Yashin clips in the intro...:sarcasm:

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Personally I'm not a big fan of the ask the fans segment. They really don't provide anything other than awkward moments. "I like the Sens because....they're good...and stuff...Jason Spezza is like, really good." Or the guys who try to act really intelligent with their comments but end up saying something pretty pointless. I'd rather listen to a player's comments for another few minutes.

As pdog mentioned, a weekly farm update section would be INCREDIBLE. Maybe getting the scores and some action shots would really cap it off for us rabid fans.

It would be interesting to see a segment where a fan could win the chance to ask a 'question of the week' to the player in person. Obviously this would require a lot of organization and probably not feasible.

pdog1979

Aug 20, 2007
I agree that the 'ask the fans' can be lame at times, but I think there was a noted improvement this past year. I guess they decided to ask more than 5 people cause I thought the answers were a lot better.

Another idea for the show that would be a lot of fun could be a fan poll of, say, the Sens' greatest goal. Pick 5 highlights (Schaefer vs. DAL, Spezza vs. MTL, Vermette thru the legs, etc.) and have viewers vote online.

Speaking of online, the show could probably use a proper website, too.

senility

May 23, 2005
I agree that the 'ask the fans' can be lame at times, but I think there was a noted improvement this past year.

Agreed. Get rid of the interviews with idiotic fans telling us who their favourite player is and fill that time with more interviews or "day in the life" segments with players. I actually think they do a decent job with the player interviews and highlights, considering it's just a low budget cable access show.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While the big networks concentrate on the Ottawa teams, it would be nice to see Rogers or even the new RA hook into a number of the Bingo Sens games and have prospect profiles between periods for us junkies. Steve Loyd & Lee Versage could probably do a decent job on that kind of a broadcast.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I guess this show is probably cancelled now, eh guys?

RIP Molson Senators Overtime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad