OT: Is San Francisco's Chase Center the prototype for the 21st Century?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sadly whatever the Sharks decide to do in the future, they will be hard-pressed to compete with this.

UOVBZENQIZCG5BHTGR25FHX53I.JPG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...vately-financed-arena/?utm_term=.cf20486c141b

To help offset the costs, the Warriors will transition from being Oakland tenants to San Francisco landlords. The complex features 580,000 square feet of nearby office space and 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Uber will move its new headquarters to the office complex within months of the arena’s opening, and the Warriors anticipate the entire entertainment district will be ready for the 2020 NBA playoffs.

Chase Center itself appears to be a cash cow, to say the least. Eyeing a larger presence in the Bay Area, Chase signed a 20-year deal worth a reported $300 million for naming rights. The multiuse building will be deployed as an 18,000-seat basketball arena, a large-concert venue and a theater-like space that can scale between 2,000 and 5,000 seats for smaller shows. That versatility will accommodate 200 events per year — vastly increasing its revenue potential — with changeovers from the theater setup to the full arena taking less than 24 hours.

Reactions: Roadrage

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sharks did engage in talks with them about joining them there but opted to remain in the SAP center. Must have crunched the numbers.

I did wonder if being in SF was better financially than being in SJ.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Sharks did engage in talks with them about joining them there but opted to remain in the SAP center. Must have crunched the numbers.

Were they planning to be tenants at Chase or co-owners?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Is the final version of the arena hockey compatible

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Were they planning to be tenants at Chase or co-owners?

That part is unclear. SJ Sharks owner is a Billionaire, so if he wanted in on the redevelopment of the area, he could afford the $500 million investment which the Warriors owners were planning on. But, that might be where negotiations bogged down. All reports is that it's going to be a major cash cow for the Warriors and their owners. It also includes an entertainment district with Uber moving their HQ into a building there as well.

In terms of pure revenue, I'd imagine that Chase Centre would vastly outdo SAP Center hands down. NBA owners can be tenants in an NHL building (Boston/Philly), but it doesn't work out the other way as the NBA has much better TV revenue to draw from.

I think before the plans were finalized, they would be wise enough that if hockey was going to be there that they would adjust the plans to make it hockey compatible and allow for at least 17K fans to fill the arena. Barclay's was supposed to be like that too, but the financial crisis hit and they tried to save $200 million by scaling it back.

Personally, I never understood that. Is it a major viewing experience upgrade at basketball games and concerts compared to arenas that are built to accommodate hockey? I have no personal experience in those arenas so I can't say. Just seems odd to simply eliminate that possibility down the line. One day SJ Sharks owner might want to sell, and they could add them to the arena down the line.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Personally, I never understood that. Is it a major viewing experience upgrade at basketball games and concerts compared to arenas that are built to accommodate hockey? I have no personal experience in those arenas so I can't say. Just seems odd to simply eliminate that possibility down the line. One day SJ Sharks owner might want to sell, and they could add them to the arena down the line.
Land is expensive in San Francisco.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Land is expensive in San Francisco.
I live in Vancouver. Know the cost of land in SF.

Your comment would support the notion of building arenas that can accommodate both sports properly wouldn’t it?

Reading the OP, it says chase center can accommodate small concerts of 2-5k. The rental cost would be pretty high for such small concerts wouldn’t it?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I live in Vancouver. Know the cost of land in SF.

Your comment would support the notion of building arenas that can accommodate both sports properly wouldn’t it?

Reading the OP, it says chase center can accommodate small concerts of 2-5k. The rental cost would be pretty high for such small concerts wouldn’t it?
Not if they don't think there's a good chance NHL team would join them at the term they want.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
From what I've read here in years past, it's about the difference in costs for the roof, which is the most expensive part of the building.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad