OT: If the NCAA allows payment for college athletes, will this effect college hockey players?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
lets say the NCAA allows players to be paid, usually from money making sports such as football and basketball...

will this decision include athletes in other sports such as ice hockey?

don't know if this will work for college hockey players since most of then are white males and come from privileged backgrounds...compared to their football and basketball counterparts who are mainly black males from low income, unprivileged backgrounds...

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
No one has any idea how any system related to direct payment of players by universities (basically in the form of salary) would work, but that's really not the immediate issue that's being discussed right now.

Assuming that the ability of athletes to earn direct income from third-party sources proceeds as expected (i.e. the NIL - Name, Image, and Likeness - issue), there's no reason NCAA hockey players wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. Some obvious income streams for them would include off-season hockey camps, endorsements, and whatever revenue they can earn through online channels.

Reactions: DaveG

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Does anybody know why hockey is the only sport where drafted but unsigned players are allowed to play in the NCAA (maybe baseball players too, although they have to sign soon after the season or reenter the draft IIRC)? Like would that be the NCAA or NBA/NFLs discretion to decide?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Does anybody know why hockey is the only sport where drafted but unsigned players are allowed to play in the NCAA (maybe baseball players too, although they have to sign soon after the season or reenter the draft IIRC)? Like would that be the NCAA or NBA/NFLs discretion to decide?
I always thought that this would be the best thing that could happen to the NBA would be to draft after (or before) their freshman year and let them go to college like the NHL does. This would keep players that might not be ready in college but not keep those that are out of the NBA.

Reactions: DaveG

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I always thought that this would be the best thing that could happen to the NBA would be to draft after (or before) their freshman year and let them go to college like the NHL does. This would keep players that might not be ready in college but not keep those that are out of the NBA.
I was guessing it was because college aged hockey players have other options for leagues to play in (CHL, Europe, AHL), whereas college football and basketball have a near monopoly on the NFL/NBA pipeline. Like, if drafted-but-unsigned players couldn't play in the NCAA for hockey, the talent level would be awful because nobody who was drafted at age 18 could play in it and there are plenty of other leagues for those players to play in.

I was just curious if it was the NCAA massaging their rules to protect the NCAA hockey talent level, or if the NFL and NBA have valid reasons for not allowing drafted-but-unsigned players to still play in the NCAA.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I was guessing it was because college aged hockey players have other options for leagues to play in (CHL, Europe, AHL), whereas college football and basketball have a near monopoly on the NFL/NBA pipeline. Like, if drafted-but-unsigned players couldn't play in the NCAA for hockey, the talent level would be awful because nobody who was drafted at age 18 could play in it and there are plenty of other leagues for those players to play in.

I was just curious if it was the NCAA massaging their rules to protect the NCAA hockey talent level, or if the NFL and NBA have valid reasons for not allowing drafted-but-unsigned players to still play in the NCAA.
the NBA has the G-League, that's why some of the rules regarding 2 way contracts and related issues were implemented

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Baseball and hockey draft early you can be drafted and not be a pro
Football and baseball- you become a pro when you enter the draft

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Allowing schools to pay student athletes does not mean all schools will. Free market will dictate that only schools that needs to attract the best of the best recruits and have program that makes tons of money will pay these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad