Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They scored 4 goals as a team, who f***ing cares who scored. But I guess what you’re indirectly saying (which I kinda agree with sadly) is that 4 goals isn’t enough production when Stu is in the pipes.

But in the play offs it should be and that’s the issue.
The depth guys rarely score. Most of the top six hasn’t scored at even strength. That’s not good enough.

Reactions: JohnnyBerts

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still think that playing Skinner against the Avs with a shit team in front of him in game 82 was a brutal decision. If Skinner is doubting himself and he continues to shit the bed we are toast unless Pickard gets the nod soon and plays great. If Skinner sucks the rest of the way he needs to be gone before the start of next season.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Funny to see the difference in out look from one game to the next from some on here. This is a marathon there is going to be ups like game one and downs like last night. Scoring is up this season, and a random google says on 17% of series end in a sweep. And I wonder what the percentage is in the cap era when the teams are more competitive to win atleast one game.

Reactions: NeverForget06

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still think that playing Skinner against the Avs with a shit team in front of him in game 82 was a brutal decision. If Skinner is doubting himself and he continues to shit the bed we are toast unless Pickard gets the nod soon and plays great. If Skinner sucks the rest of the way he needs to be gone before the start of next season.
Replace Skinner with Nurse in your post and I agree.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Zero killer instinct. The game was there for the taking but the Kings knew all they had to do was wait for the inevitable Oilers screwup. I knew as soon as it went to OT we weren’t winning.

Did the Oilers ever consider scoring?

Was there time to? 3 goals against in 16 minutes. Interestingly, the one OT they've won in the last two years was with Campbell in net, he at least prevented them scoring on 3 shots in 10 minutes to eventually let Hyman score.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The vast majority of OTs end early. This is hardly an Oilers exclusive problem. Why not be that team that attacks aggressively instead of playing timid hockey? The Kings saw their opportunity and took it. The Oilers looked like they never left the locker room.

Oilers got the first shot and had some zone time and 4 attempts at net with 2 scoring chances, both of which HD chances.

LA scored on their first shot and first chance which wasn't even considered HD (though I'd disagree there, I don't think Skinner got adequately set up to make a save, but I'd think that would be considered a HD scoring chance, but one you'd expect your goalie to save 2 times out of 3 or 3 times out of 4).

Oilers started the OT better, but never got a chance to build on it.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Skinner NEEDS to be better, its as simple as that.
Also Holloway should play more. 2 goals last night and Kane (hasn't played that well) getting more minutes is just yeeesh.

Color me surprised the pairing of Ceci and Nurse were on ice for the OT goal against. Not sure where the f*** Ceci was and Nurse somehow getting out of position despite being the last man to cover our own end is just so tiresome to watch at this point. He's played in the league for years and STILL makes these mental mistakes of a rookie. Beyond inexcusable.

Both defense and goaltending need to be better if this team wants to win. (Exactly what I said of the 2 that worries me)

Reactions: Skar

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You realize that air headed play in the NZ and your goalies SPCT can be correlated correct? Getting one perfectly placed Shot On Goal on a major defensive breakdown a minute or two into OT also doesn't tend to be good for your GAA or SPCT.

You can blame Skinner on the Fiala goal for sure, or even the Doughty goal, but there wasn't much he, or any goalie, was gonna do on Kopitar's last night.

Except many goalies do stop chance like that. They actually stop chances like that more than half the time even.

I wouldn't complain about goals 1 or 5, if it wasn't also for goals 3 and 4, coupled with literally zero saves on what some may call a five alarm scoring chance. No goalie that you'd expect to lead a team on a playoff run should have allowed all 4 of those goals. 2 at most would be reasonable, and the team would have won if he limited those 4 to only 2.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
McDs line had a quiet night unfortunately. But the Kings big guns made plays all game. Doughty, Kopi, Kempe, Fiala all factored in. We got surprise contributions from Holloway and Kulak, and our core could have had us pulling away.

I’m not convinced McD is fully healthy and haven’t been for most of the year. all season long he’s had more pucks tipped off his stick on zone entries, intercepted passes, and missed shots wide of the net on good looks than in all of his last few seasons combined. Healthy McDavid wins the Art Ross every year with ease.

Of course he had 5 pts last game and is at the bottom of the list of reasons why they lost last night, but it makes me worried about their fate in these playoffs because this team needs him to carry them at times and be might not be healthy enough to do it.

Reactions: TheNumber4

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He wasn’t great this game, there’s no denying that. But the team as a whole was nowhere near as good as they were in game 1. They let the Kings get comfortable instead of piling on them early like last game.

Simply pinning everything on the goalie is absolving the rest of the team.

If you look at the underlying numbers, the team was actually significantly better defensively in Game 2 than they were in Game 1.

Granted they were much worse offensively, but that defensive effort should only have yield 2 or 3 goals against. Not 5. Let alone the fact Skinner was so terrible on a couple attempt in the third period that it shouldn't even have gone to OT if the Kings players could hit an empty net.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Except many goalies do stop chance like that. They actually stop chances like that more than half the time even.

I wouldn't complain about goals 1 or 5, if it wasn't also for goals 3 and 4, coupled with literally zero saves on what some may call a five alarm scoring chance. No goalie that you'd expect to lead a team on a playoff run should have allowed all 4 of those goals. 2 at most would be reasonable, and the team would have won if he limited those 4 to only 2.
Yep, if its a single questionable goal you can forgive or move past. Its hard to ignore 4.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't see why that would be an issue. Game 1 was basically a 2 goals against night for him, before a few stupid, fluky things happened.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Skinner NEEDS to be better, its as simple as that.
Also Holloway should play more. 2 goals last night and Kane (hasn't played that well) getting more minutes is just yeeesh.
Kane hit on Doughty sparked the Oilers I agree Holloway deserves more ice time but to single out Kane is unjustified

Reactions: brentashton

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
People saying they aren't panicking because it's 1-1, I get it but that's not really the point.

Majority of people panicking and getting mad aren't going so because we think the Oilers will lose to LA. No one cares about this series; we will win. The issue is we have cup expectations and if this is the goaltending and defensive idiocy you get against LA, it doesn't speak highly of our chance of success against high level opponents.

The team needs to stomp LA out in 5, convincingly, before there's much belief that we have a shot at going deep. It's not direspect to LA, but everyone knows we are the better team. If we're going to have a 6 or 7 game slog against these guys then what are we even doing here. Had 82 games to get the fundamentals down, still giving up umpteen breakaways, brain dead coverage, and scuffed inconsistent goaltending.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Skinner has to get turfed if he finishes another playoffs with save% that doesn't start with a 9.

This team could be champions with mediocre goaltending. No team can win with a liability like Skinner between the pipes, though.

I'm really hoping that Knob has the courage to play Jean Luc in game 3. He won't be any worse between the pipes, and he's a much better puck handler.

Reactions: brentashton

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Funny to see the difference in out look from one game to the next from some on here. This is a marathon there is going to be ups like game one and downs like last night. Scoring is up this season, and a random google says on 17% of series end in a sweep. And I wonder what the percentage is in the cap era when the teams are more competitive to win atleast one game.
If the players were as fragile as the fans, they'd fold at the first bit of adversity.

Seriously, I believe that if people can't handle some ups and downs, being a sports fan might not be for them.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1714065113040.jpeg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It goes past that. They played their last 5 regular season games with zero intensity to end the season and completely mailed it in for the last 2 games. That kind of stuff can carry into the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers got the first shot and had some zone time and 4 attempts at net with 2 scoring chances, both of which HD chances.

LA scored on their first shot and first chance which wasn't even considered HD (though I'd disagree there, I don't think Skinner got adequately set up to make a save, but I'd think that would be considered a HD scoring chance, but one you'd expect your goalie to save 2 times out of 3 or 3 times out of 4).

Oilers started the OT better, but never got a chance to build on it.
Lmao those were high danger chances? Compared to Kopitars breakaway?

The Oilers generated a paltry five shots on net after period two. The Oilers have been abysmal in overtime in the McDavid era: 1-1 vs the Sharks, 0-2 against the Ducks, 0-3 against the Jets, 1-4 against the Kings, 0–1 against the Avs, 1-0 against the Flames.

At some point you have to start questioning if this team has it. That’s a terrible record in playoff overtime.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
People saying they aren't panicking because it's 1-1, I get it but that's not really the point.

Majority of people panicking and getting mad aren't going so because we think the Oilers will lose to LA. No one cares about this series; we will win. The issue is we have cup expectations and if this is the goaltending and defensive idiocy you get against LA, it doesn't speak highly of our chance of success against high level opponents.

The team needs to stomp LA out in 5, convincingly, before there's much belief that we have a shot at going deep. It's not direspect to LA, but everyone knows we are the better team. If we're going to have a 6 or 7 game slog against these guys then what are we even doing here. Had 82 games to get the fundamentals down, still giving up umpteen breakaways, brain dead coverage, and scuffed inconsistent goaltending.

Why is it cup expectations though? The goaltending isn’t good enough to get out of the west let alone march through 4 rounds. I love watching Edmonton play but come on, you can see they have significant holes to fill.

It’s the same story in Toronto, just because a player has a godly 69 goals - without a stellar goaltender and D core, you aren’t winning the cup. Just have to be realistic sometimes.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Skinner has to get turfed if he finishes another playoffs with save% that doesn't start with a 9.

This team could be champions with mediocre goaltending. No team can win with a liability like Skinner between the pipes, though.

I'm really hoping that Knob has the courage to play Jean Luc in game 3. He won't be any worse between the pipes, and he's a much better puck handler.
If we get anything above .900 goaltending this year or the past 2 years then we have a good chance of winning the cup. .875 goaltending sends you golfing in May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad