Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I just don’t understand wanting Skinner to fail. If Campbell doesn’t play like the worst goalie in the league Skinner doesn’t even play in these playoffs.
Some posters would rather be right about their stance on a player so they can tell everybody they're right when the player fails than cheer for that player they don't like to do well. Actually hoping for a player to be a failure, literally said in that I quoted, is just about as low as it gets as a sports fan. That goes beyond just being critical of a player, a player that does deserve criticism btw.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some posters would rather be right about their stance on a player so they can tell everybody they're right when the player fails than cheer for that player they don't like to do well. Actually hoping for a player to be a failure, literally said in that I quoted, is just about as low as it gets as a sports fan. That goes beyond just being critical of a player, a player that does deserve criticism btw.
At least the board is happy that Skinner didn’t play well. Because that’s the true Stanley Cup. Never mind that Vegas is about to gravy train to the Cup again.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Skinner was fine last game with a couple fluke goals late, not sure why we are counting those. Yeah he wasn’t great last night… that’s not what scares me. McDavid was completely neutralized. That’s what scares me.
lol at being worried about 97 he is the last guy to be worried about

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He’s cost the team 2 years in a row by being unable to make any saves, I’m getting close to hoping he gets bought out and his nhl career fails.

He can’t even stop a slow shot from the point sliding along the ice
And you shit on me for being negative? This is such a ridiculous post. Getting close to HOPING he fails? Jesus

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Perry was garbage all game, if that was Holloway, Knoblauch would have benched him for the entire game.

Also, Kings played Doughty almost 30 minutes, really tells you that they don't care about a potential next round. This is their stanley cup and why I did not want to play them.
LMAO so you wanted Vegas? CMON

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Im a negative poster but I have never outright hoped a player failed. Like wtf is that.

Like we can be negative all we want but at least we should be hoping to being proved wrong on their player and cheer for them to succeed. Hoping for failure is wild.

lol at being worried about 97 he is the last guy to be worried about
McDavid and Draisaitl are the only 2 players I am not worried about.

Reactions: CupofOil

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Kopitar came flying in. At some point you have to have trust in your teammates to be doing their part. In that case Foegele definitely didn't do his part.
Bouchard should have banked it off the glass or if he was insistent on making the pass put some real juice on it.

Even after he made the pass he didn't hustle.

Bouchard is being exposed

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Except with McD neutralized, team depth stepped up and still got 3 goals from Kulak, Holloway (2), but then goaltending let in another bagful of goals, 2 games in a row.

I do agree that McD neutralized will be a concern if it occurs again, but for now the goaltending is more concerning, as it was coming in to the series.

You can only give the other team 3 wins, that was one. If Skinner gives LA a second one, then it’s gonna get a lot worse around here.
When your best forward on the night is a young player (with very little big game experience and 3 years of injury problems) then you know there is lots of blame to go around. RNH is an example-sure, good PK guy but you need more from him.

Anyway, my guess is the Oilers put together a much stronger game on Friday and go ahead in the series but no way can you play that kind of defense again in front of a mediocre goaltender and expect to win.

The Kings are better than people give them credit for. We need a "Kostin" type goal to beat them in their own barn.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Basically the entire top two lines didn’t do anything at even strength. Not a great sign when we are going on the road.
Okay but thats not McDavid being neutralized. McDavid was all over the puck, setting his line up for chances. Talbot made some great saves and Henrique wasn't great.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
How do you give up a breakaway in overtime?

Totally agree with this.

Kopitar's goal was a snipe show, Kempe's first was as well - some nights you'll stop those, but some nights you won't. Kempe's second was completely unstoppable. Doughty's goal was pretty weak, knees down first Skinner, then push if required. Fiala's goal is also a mystery, if that wasn't deflected it's a poor goal whether Skinner saw it or not... the shot was from so far out there wasn't much movement required, a blind butterfly stops it, unless the butterfly has holes in its wings.

So to me the goaltending was so-so, but not entirely at fault. Kulak's pinch on Doughty's goal was a big mistake. Desharnais' failure to get backing up fast enough was the 2nd error on that play and then Skinner capped it off with a third error.

In OT... yeah, WTF Nurse didn't play it well, but he was the only guy back. Where was Ceci? Why were all three of our forwards so nonchalant in the neutral zone when we didn't have the puck... get goal side guys, get in a lane, pick up a man... they were just waiting to see what would happen next. Idiocy! You should know what happens next when you play such passive defense.

And Bouchard was Bouchard... offensively gifted, defensively aloof. He made a bad pass to Foegele on Kempe's first, Foegele needs to be more aware there too, but Bouchard coulda made a safer choice (glass). And on the 2nd Kempe goal, yeah a bad bounce, but that bad bounce was because he was trailing the passing lane... his poor positioning caused the reactionary pop-up and baseball goal... this falls under "you make your own luck in this game" IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Okay but thats not McDavid being neutralized. McDavid was all over the puck, setting his line up for chances. Talbot made some great saves and Henrique wasn't great.
But they didn’t generate any goals. McDavid and Draisatl haven’t scored at even strength so far, nor has RNH. All of them and their wingers need to step up.

Reactions: AT14C

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
At least the board is happy that Skinner didn’t play well. Because that’s the true Stanley Cup. Never mind that Vegas is about to gravy train to the Cup again.
People counted Vegas out. Looks like they are wrong because they are now up 2-0 in a series against a very good Stars squad.

If we man up and beat these pesky Kings, (who now have loads of momentum in this series BTW) we are likely going to have to go up against the Golden Cheats again. I'm pretty sure we all know how that ends up going.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I still think we can take LA but if Skinner is going to be this version of Skinner we aren’t getting past the second round.

Second line again is getting absolutely crushed. Getting heavily outscored 5v5 and they are getting destroyed analytically, and really the eye test too. That line needs a shakeup.

Janmark and Holloway had absolutely great games. They were everywhere in a positive way. Crushing that we waste a game by our 4th line like that.

Top line has looks and looked pretty good but Henrique looked nothing like he did game 1.

Third line had some positive moments and they also had some negative. Perry doesn’t seem to be able to play at the pace they need on that line right now.

Third pair seemed alright. Good goal by Kulak and Desharnais had some really good PK moments.

Nurse and Ceci did Nurse and Ceci things and I don’t think that will change. Just have to hope we can outscore whatever the f*** they are trying to do.

Ekholm and Bouchard had an off night. Bouchard with questionable decisions and Ekholm was having issues covering for him.

Skinner is…Skinner looks like he did against Vegas last year. Was there some unlucky bounces? Sure. Did he let in a bad goal or two? Absolutely. The thing with him right now is he is slow to react so a lot of the unlucky bounces find their way in cause he isn’t even close to being where he needs to be. He is playing like a backup right now, saving the ones he should but not really saving the others. It’s concerning that he is already playing like this and it’s only game 2.
I agree the second line is trash. This is why i'm asking for Mcdrai together. I truthfully believe the second line is better with drai subtracted.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Im a negative poster but I have never outright hoped a player failed. Like wtf is that.

Like we can be negative all we want but at least we should be hoping to being proved wrong on their player and cheer for them to succeed. Hoping for failure is wild.

McDavid and Draisaitl are the only 2 players I am not worried about.
McDavid, Hyman and Ekholm for me. Draisaitl could step it up a bit. For all the complaining Kane was getting in the GTD, he was at least trying to get something going. Foegele, McLeod, RNH are still playing pre-season hockey and trying to minimize injuries.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Apparently it is. It was all last playoffs. We mortaged the entire playoffs on giving Skinner every start because he asked for them and a coaching staff stupid enough to give him every start. Hope KK is smarter but I would be surprised if we saw Pickard get any start.
Why do you keep saying this? Which goalie doesn't want to start?
Criticize Skinner's game all you want and I'd agree with you but to criticize him for wanting to start is bizarre, to be quite frank, and you've been saying this for a few years.

Reactions: Drai Fi

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree the second line is trash. This is why i'm asking for Mcdrai together. I truthfully believe the second line is better with drag subtracted.
It has nothing to do with Draisaitl.
Nuge is just playing awful right now and Foegele is playing too perimeter.
Swap Nuge and McLeod for a bit and see if that helps.

Criticize Skinner's game all you want and I'd agree with you but to criticize him for wanting to start is bizarre, to be quite frank, and you've been saying this for a few years.
It sounds like he is more shitting on the reason coaching staff gave him the starts. Thats literally what Woody said. "We gave him the starts cause he asked for them"/

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
If you were to write a script on how the Kings would win a game, last night was exactly how it would happen.

Got goalied again. Talbot made that incredible save on Drai from McD at that PP at the end of the 2nd. Stu lets one in from 60 feet on the ice. Between the Kempe open look and Doughty’s goal you would expect one to be saved.

Kings had not much going. But capitalized on everything they got and then some.

Mcd was trying to do too much. They were soft and hesitant coming out of the gate. Almost like they knew Stu was going to let them down. Henrique had a “controller disconnected” mpment

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It sounds like he is more shitting on the reason coaching staff gave him the starts. Thats literally what Woody said. "We gave him the starts cause he asked for them"/
Is there a goalie that goes up to a coach and says "I don't want to start, put the other guy in"?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Still frustrated, but honestly I'm not mad. Just a missed opportunity.

Skinner needs to be better, but nothing I saw from the Kings last night scares me for the rest of the series, sincerely.
I have to agree with this. The Kings have had a ton of puck luck, a ton.

The Oilers didn't play well and we lost by 1

One thing I've learned with cup teams is how to they respond after a loss. If we don't look great we should be worried

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I feel meh about this loss. While a sweep would be nice we also don't want a huge window of time for the team to kill between series where they risk falling off.

Looking at playoffs like climbing a huge mountain. I didn't get too excited after game one just like you wouldn't celebrate the first pitch on a climb...also not letting the loss get to me in the same way.

I do wish Skinner would play a little larger.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The issue with Skinner wanting all the starts is, he shits the bed the next game. He wants to be like Mike Smith but underdelivers when he gets the redeem me starts.

I still think we would have won the cup with Smith in net last year

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is there a goalie that goes up to a coach and says "I don't want to start, put the other guy in"?
No? But usually your coaching staff is smart enough to go "We are starting the other guy cause you are off your game right now". Thats whats being shit on.

Reactions: Canovin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad