Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He did though. It went to OT. The team in front of him managed just 5 shots in the last 22:07 of the game. There were other reasons we lost beyond goaltending.
He didn’t play well but yeah that was a pitiful third period and beyond especially with Talbot not playing great.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tough spot the Oilers always seem to find themselves in come playoff time.

Sticking with Skinner for Game 3 has all the makings of a classic, boneheaded “he got us here, he deserves a chance” sports move, despite the warning bells of recent history. If my confidence in him is shot after the second game, I can’t imagine his teammates private thoughts are much better.

On the other hand, tossing out a wild card that doesn’t have much wild upside in it like Pickard and having him bomb likely sees Skinner shaken and puts the Oilers in a 3-1 hole.

Tired of this team giving off the stench of dire straights after a single bad loss.
0% chance skinner doesn’t start next game. His numbers look a bit worse because of a lot of puck luck for LA especially in game 1 but he’ll get the chance to bounce back next game.

If he drops the next one there will be a conversation.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
0% chance skinner doesn’t start next game. His numbers look a bit worse because of a lot of puck luck for LA especially in game 1 but he’ll get the chance to bounce back next game.

Can’t blame it all on luck. He has been bad. You don’t allow 9 goals against in 2 games with the lack of chances against if you are playing good. He will get another few chances. I don’t see the coaching staff sitting him. We are going to stick with him for better or worse. We can hope he figures it out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can’t blame it all on luck. He has been bad. You don’t allow 9 goals against in 2 games with the lack of chances against if you are playing good. He will get another few chances. I don’t see the coaching staff sitting him. We are going to stick with him for better or worse. We can hope he figures it out.
Skinner was fine last game with a couple fluke goals late, not sure why we are counting those. Yeah he wasn’t great last night… that’s not what scares me. McDavid was completely neutralized. That’s what scares me.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

I agree that he starts. I hope he rebounds, but I also kind of want to hit fast forward on that. Here’s hoping he turns in the kind of unexpected performance that fends off these doubts for another few days.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Skinner was fine last game with a couple fluke goals late, not sure why we are counting those. Yeah he wasn’t great last night… that’s not what scares me. McDavid was completely neutralized. That’s what scares me.
Cause he didn’t play good game 1 either. He played fine but that’s it. 2 games in and he has had a fine game and a bad game. That’s not a great look overall. Analytically he has been the worst goalie in the playoffs. Yes some of that is “bad luck”.

Reactions: Zguy370

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently it is. It was all last playoffs. We mortaged the entire playoffs on giving Skinner every start because he asked for them and a coaching staff stupid enough to give him every start. Hope KK is smarter but I would be surprised if we saw Pickard get any start.
Skinner tried doing the Mike Smith "play me so I can redeem myself" and failed miserably in last year playoffs. Hopefully Knob isn't stupid to do that too

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Cause he didn’t play good game 1 either. He played fine but that’s it. 2 games in and he has had a fine game and a bad game. That’s not a great look overall. Analytically he has been the worst goalie in the playoffs. Yes some of that is “bad luck”.
But he did. He effectively allowed two goals before the worst pairing in Oilers history gifted the Kings a couple freebies.

Speaking of unless Knoblauch breaks up that pairing he shouldn’t be taken seriously as a coach. Nurse getting beaten by Kopitar is comically bad. The Kings sure made us look slow.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Except with McD neutralized, team depth stepped up and still got 3 goals from Kulak, Holloway (2), but then goaltending let in another bagful of goals, 2 games in a row.

I do agree that McD neutralized will be a concern if it occurs again, but for now the goaltending is more concerning, as it was coming in to the series.

You can only give the other team 3 wins, that was one. If Skinner gives LA a second one, then it’s gonna get a lot worse around here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Except with McD neutralized, team depth stepped up and still got 3 goals from Kulak, Holloway (2), but then goaltending let in another bagful of goals, 2 games in a row.

I do agree that McD neutralized will be a concern if it occurs again, but for now the goaltending is more concerning, as it was coming in to the series.

You can only give the other team 3 wins, that was one. If Skinner gives LA a second one, then it’s gonna get a lot worse around here.
Depth scoring is a rarity for this team, not the norm. The top guys were mostly ineffective. If that’s the case going forward we are toast.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But he did. He effectively allowed two goals before the worst pairing in Oilers history gifted the Kings a couple freebies.

Speaking of unless Knoblauch breaks up that pairing he shouldn’t be taken seriously as a coach. Nurse getting beaten by Kopitar is comically bad. The Kings sure made us look slow.
He allowed 2 goals on an expected 2 goals in the first 2 periods. Thats not good, thats playing average.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He allowed 2 goals on an expected 2 goals in the first 2 periods. Thats not good, thats playing average.
You know that’s not the be all end all of stats, right? But since we are going there what was our xG in the third period and OT? With five shots in total it had to be pretty small.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know that’s not the be all end all of stats, right? But since we are going there what was our xG in the third period and OT? With five shots in total it had to be pretty small.
Expected including special teams all game was 3-2 for us. We lost 5-4. Talbot let in one more than he should have, Skinner let in 3.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He’s cost the team 2 years in a row by being unable to make any saves, I’m getting close to hoping he gets bought out and his nhl career fails.

He can’t even stop a slow shot from the point sliding along the ice
Keep cheering for this fraud
"Hoping that his career fails" and shitting on fellow fans for hoping that their teams' goalie does well? Some of you take this sports fandom thing way too seriously.

Reactions: NedPlimpton

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Just imagining Skinner's psyche crumbling even further as LA fans serenade him is giving me anxiety. I don't know how the team can even think about playing confidently in front of a goaltender where 1 out of every 4 shots, regardless of where they're coming from, is guaranteed to go in.

Skinner says he learned from last year's playoffs and is ready this time around. He needs to quit lying to himself and admit that the moment is too big for him and he doesn't have it in him to step up and be that guy. He's had 1, maybe 2, passable performances over a dozen games. Not good enough.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Still frustrated, but honestly I'm not mad. Just a missed opportunity.

Skinner needs to be better, but nothing I saw from the Kings last night scares me for the rest of the series, sincerely.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Nuge continues to be a #1 overall draft pick career passenger, unable to carry or drive play at 5on5 unless spoon fed by McD. Disappointing game from him outside of the d-zone and our 2nd line has become completely uselss 5on5 in part due to him.

In game 3, I hope we get depth scoring and our big guns rip as well. It's rare we get the two during the same game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"Hoping that his career fails" and shitting on fellow fans for hoping that their teams' goalie does well? Some of you take this sports fandom thing way too seriously.
I just don’t understand wanting Skinner to fail. If Campbell doesn’t play like the worst goalie in the league Skinner doesn’t even play in these playoffs.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I just don’t understand wanting Skinner to fail. If Campbell doesn’t play like the worst goalie in the league Skinner doesn’t even play in these playoffs.
The issue is thinking Skinner was or was going to be good enough. Holland had a chance to acquire a goalie at the deadline and didn't do it. He and along with many posters thought Skinner was good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad