Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s only 1-1 and I expected this to go 6 so I’m not super down right now. I thought the people saying 5 were crazy the kings are too greasy for that.

I didn’t like that 3rd goal from skinner. If you go for the poke check there you better get it and he needs to have the bottom of the net sealed off there. Just a bad read and bad form.

That being said he played good enough for the team to win. Top 6 didn’t get enough going 5 on 5. They had so many chances to take a lead and never could.

Nurse and Ceci had a bad night. Nurse on that OT goal was just terrible. It’s overtime in the playoffs you need to way more dialed in than that.

Good news is the 4th line looks unbelievable. The big guys will probably have better puck luck coming and skinner will rebound to some extent.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still think we can take LA but if Skinner is going to be this version of Skinner we aren’t getting past the second round.

Second line again is getting absolutely crushed. Getting heavily outscored 5v5 and they are getting destroyed analytically, and really the eye test too. That line needs a shakeup.

Janmark and Holloway had absolutely great games. They were everywhere in a positive way. Crushing that we waste a game by our 4th line like that.

Top line has looks and looked pretty good but Henrique looked nothing like he did game 1.

Third line had some positive moments and they also had some negative. Perry doesn’t seem to be able to play at the pace they need on that line right now.

Third pair seemed alright. Good goal by Kulak and Desharnais had some really good PK moments.

Nurse and Ceci did Nurse and Ceci things and I don’t think that will change. Just have to hope we can outscore whatever the f*** they are trying to do.

Ekholm and Bouchard had an off night. Bouchard with questionable decisions and Ekholm was having issues covering for him.

Skinner is…Skinner looks like he did against Vegas last year. Was there some unlucky bounces? Sure. Did he let in a bad goal or two? Absolutely. The thing with him right now is he is slow to react so a lot of the unlucky bounces find their way in cause he isn’t even close to being where he needs to be. He is playing like a backup right now, saving the ones he should but not really saving the others. It’s concerning that he is already playing like this and it’s only game 2.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Ty Conklin was a better goalie then Skinner

Anyone that’s thinking Skinner can magically turn into a good goalie really has to take their googles off.

Pickard game 3, he can’t be any worse cause Skinner is the worst goalie in the playoffs.

Time to admit it fans.

Not my fault Skinner against the kings of all teams
Ain't winning No Cup with this dud in nets, that's for sure. Look at his playoffs stats, post those, the proof is in the pudding!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
La is the highest scoring 5v5 team in the playoffs and there are teams who have played 3 games. This is a massive concern that needs to be corrected quick. If LA is doing this to us even if we make it out, we are getting swept by the next team if we play like this.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Oilers had twice as many High Danger scoring chances. 17-8 to be precise. I figured the Kings only had 7 chances, I was one off. The Oilers were the better team in every stat line. had the edge in play. Add to that the Oilers scoring chances are coming from some of the highest scoring players in the league, or in the world. Talbot as others have said made 5 stops in this game Skinner would be waving at.

heres a thing. kings didn't generate even ONE scoring chance on their 4PP's while giving up two. You think the Oilers weren't better? The Oilers were better in 5 on 5, on the PP, and on the pk. That doesn't leave anything.

Oilers had twice as many High Danger scoring chances. 17-8 to be precise. I figured the Kings only had 7 chances, I was one off. The Oilers were the better team in every stat line. had the edge in play. Add to that the Oilers scoring chances are coming from some of the highest scoring players in the league, or in the world. Talbot as others have said made 5 stops in this game Skinner would be waving at.

heres a thing. kings didn't generate even ONE scoring chance on their 4PP's while giving up two. You think the Oilers weren't better? The Oilers were better in 5 on 5, on the PP, and on the pk. That doesn't leave anything.

Yes they were superioron special teams. But from the end of the second to the game ending in OT the oilers generated 5 shots on net. 5. With the game in the balance and the ability to put the choke hold they only mustered 5 shots. This was not as dominant a performance as you make it out to be.

Reactions: MessierII

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Losing last night hurts. We could have gone into LA looking to close out the series and now I feel like we are going into LA hoping for a split.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
"I know who I am. I know my game and I’m going to get back to work."

He needs to stop with the tony Robbins shit and take responsibility.

Who you are Stuart is a guy who let's in 5 goals per playoff game. You need to have metamorphosis not stay the same.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pickard's lateral movement is pretty weak. I'm not sure he's an upgrade on skinner. The counter argument is for the playoffs is all you need one guy to get hot. Maybe Pickard can do it? I'd probably give Skinner another game.

Goaltending is questionable for a lot of teams right now.
Pickards lateral movement is miles better than Skinner. It's pretty much the only advantage he has over Skinner

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
"I know who I am. I know my game and I’m going to get back to work."

He needs to stop with the tony Robbins shit and take responsibility.

Who you are syuary is a guy who let's in 5 goals per playoff game. You need to have metamorphosis not stay the same.
He lacks self awareness

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Some interesting stats.
Holloway only got 9:42 TOI despite his production.
Nurse managed to play the game without a single hit. Henrique had 9.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
It’s only 1-1 and I expected this to go 6 so I’m not super down right now. I thought the people saying 5 were crazy the kings are too greasy for that.

I didn’t like that 3rd goal from skinner. If you go for the poke check there you better get it and he needs to have the bottom of the net sealed off there. Just a bad read and bad form.

That being said he played good enough for the team to win. Top 6 didn’t get enough going 5 on 5. They had so many chances to take a lead and never could.

Nurse and Ceci had a bad night. Nurse on that OT goal was just terrible. It’s overtime in the playoffs you need to way more dialed in than that.

Good news is the 4th line looks unbelievable. The big guys will probably have better puck luck coming and skinner will rebound to some extent.
He did not play well enough for the team to win this is delusional

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

orangewinter

Jan 14, 2021
I still don't think skinner is the answer if this team want to win the Stanley cup , Hopefully Knoblauch is not like Woodcroft in the playoffs when it comes to Goaltenders.

Reactions: Pavel10

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
We all know this team is no defensive juggernaut but if McLeod buries that breakaway or Nuge does something/anything, if Perry isn’t utter dogshit, if the pp connects, if, if, if..
This team is built for offence and always has to outscore their mistakes, nothing new here. I picked them in 5, hopefully this is the loss that pisses them off and now it’s time to get to work.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
That fourth goal was just beer league. Did the Colorado game affect his mindset?

We all know this team is no defensive juggernaut but if McLeod buries that breakaway or Nuge does something/anything, if Perry isn’t utter dogshit, if the pp connects, if, if, if..
This team is built for offence and always has to outscore their mistakes, nothing new here. I picked them in 5, hopefully this is the loss that pisses them off and now it’s time to get to work.
Agree on Perry, other than the pest ability, he's been dissapointing. Nuge may as well be Ryan Nugent Hollowman.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Average defense and piss poor goaltending

Can he be worse seriously?
Pickard can certainly be worse than Skinner. But there is only one way to find out. I would maybe give one more start to Skinner and hope he rebounds and then switch it up if he continues to struggle. It's going to be a long series

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
This place is just as bad as Facebook today. I really hope the team isn’t ready to throw in the towel like most of you seem to be. It was one loss did we actually expect the Kings to just roll over? 1 game does not a seven game series make. Chill out and enjoy the ride lots of hockey to be played still.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Tough spot the Oilers always seem to find themselves in come playoff time.

Sticking with Skinner for Game 3 has all the makings of a classic, boneheaded “he got us here, he deserves a chance” sports move, despite the warning bells of recent history. If my confidence in him is shot after the second game, I can’t imagine his teammates private thoughts are much better.

On the other hand, tossing out a wild card that doesn’t have much wild upside in it like Pickard and having him bomb likely sees Skinner shaken upon return and puts the Oilers in a 3-1 hole.

Tired of this team giving off the stench of dire straights after a single bad loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad