Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah...thats what I saw too. Just too many soft plays.
It surprised me to be honest. I wasnt expecting that from this team at this point in time.
Brain farts by our D are disappointing. Like there’s no reason Bouch should be giving that giveaway. No reason Ceci should be batting the puck into center ice. No reason Nurse should be booting a puck into our net. Yeh there’s some bad luck there but also some stupidity we need to get out of our game.

Reactions: guymez

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Game 3 is massive for Skinner. Will we see the Skinner of earlier this year, who was able to shake off a bad game and come back with a confident effort his next start, or will we see last year's playoff version, where his confidence was completely shot and he never recovered. Pretty big game in his young career, it's showtime.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
McLeod made a piss easy move that any goalie could’ve stopped. Bouchard blast was completely unscreened.

Skinner stopped a breakaway of his own last game just before we made it 3-0. Satisfied?

Meanwhile doughty didn’t even make a move or shoot the puck on his partial breakaway and it still went in!

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
It's not even criticizing Skinner in just this game at this point.

He's sub 88% in the playoffs in his career through 14 playoff games he's appeared in.

The numbers don't lie and going back to that well again and again could be a main reason this team can't go far.

Call it hate but it's a reality that a sub 88% goaltender (after a reasonably big sample size) shows that this goaltender isn't likely to be someone you can depend on to help take you to the promised land.
Exactly, how many times have we heard goaltending saving a series?? In Edmonton it's non existent

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The support forwards (and Kulak) more than held up their end of the bargain. The big guns needed to get that extra goal to steal a game over a mediocre goaltending performance.

Next game will be telling, can't let old man Talbot steal a game.
They sure did. Unfortunately it was a wasted effort

Talbot made a couple of really good saves on Draisaitl but I blame that more on the predictability of the play they kept trying to run. Talbot knew exactly what was going to happen and he also knows that Draisaitl has to be perfect to score. So he can just push off and make himself big.
Still good saves but the Oilers big guns looked stubborn to me by contuing to do the same thing over and over.

Reactions: AT14C and Oilhawks

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Here's my sober non emotional thoughts. Georgiev and Talbot both bounced back for wins after wearing the goat horns for their teams. Skinner has a good outlook mentally. I believe in him to have a good bounce back next game.

1 game in a long journey, sadly we didn't go 16-0

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The support forwards (and Kulak) more than held up their end of the bargain. The big guns needed to get that extra goal to steal a game over a mediocre goaltending performance.

Next game will be telling, can't let old man Talbot steal a game.
Not gonna agree on this one. McD had 5 assists game one. Drai has been productive in both games. Our big guns are among league leaders in playoff pts. At some point you need a save, you need any save.

Skinner has one of the worst playoff save % again this season and needs to be remembered he's playing against the Kings. If Skinner was facing the Oilers his GAA would be around 8.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was fully screened on the Fiala goal…now you’re just making crap up. Don’t need to do that lol, he played poorly enough.
Fully screened by one guy on a shot from the boards near the blue line? Man thats literally a shot where you just have to go into the butterfly and it will hit you. If he can't see past that screen then he is in severe trouble. He's going to get about 50 screens a game tougher than that one.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Wasted a great Kulak blast and two Holloway snipes tonight. Not like we’re gonna get those all the time, just needed one from one of the McDraiNugeHyms and we escape with the W.
Ya on all 3 of those goals I was thinking... wow never saw that before from these guys... you get 3 of those type goals in one game and you NEED to win it because those aren't goals that will be repeated any time soon.

Definitely a game where the Oilers threw the win away vs the Kings beating them,

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Played bad. McDavid kept trying to create an individual effort highlight skating into 3-4 kings. Letting 2 breakaway goals by old timers Doughty and kopitar lol. Couple swiss cheese skinner goals. Got zero bounces around the net, and LA got multiple fluke plays to score. And hey, we still almost won.

Remove heads from butts and get with the program for game 3 please.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Meanwhile doughty didn’t even make a move or shoot the puck on his partial breakaway and it still went in!
I think Stu makes that save if Nuge doesn't get his stick there, but still a save you want.

Fully screened by one guy on a shot from the boards near the blue line? Man thats literally a shot where you just have to go into the butterfly and it will hit you. If he can't see past that screen then he is in severe trouble. He's going to get about 50 screens a game tougher than that one.
He did say post game he didn't see a thing

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Brain farts by our D are disappointing. Like there’s no reason Bouch should be giving that giveaway. No reason Ceci should be batting the puck into center ice. No reason Nurse should be booting a puck into our net. Yeh there’s some bad luck there but also some stupidity we need to get out of our game.
I completely agree with you here.

I know it wont happen but I would be quite happy if this was Nurses last playoff as an Oiler.
That money could be well used to solve some issues this team still has.
I would much rather have 2 quietly solid dmen instead of Nurse's high event (erratic) game that only occasionally pays off.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's my sober non emotional thoughts. Georgiev and Talbot both bounced back for wins after wearing the goat horns for their teams. Skinner has a good outlook mentally. I believe in him to have a good bounce back next game.

1 game in a long journey, sadly we didn't go 16-0
Hey I hope you're right. Seeing Skinner crack this badly this quick though isn't exactly instilling much confidence after he cracked in the majority of the games in last year's playoffs.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Thanks for demonstrating you never have an actual reply. You stated there would be no difference starting Pickard. Pickard has a decent glove hand. Skinner Glove hand is so slow he's still moving it up in the dressing room.

This is a joke.

What isn't a joke is that Kings were exploting Skinner glove hand all night. How do you NOT see that. Its on the Kings dressing room wall. You think Kempe doesn't know? He owns Skinner always.

Maybe I don’t think you’re deserving of a reply when all I get from you is arrogance and patronization. I mean your literal first response was a veiled insult.

I mean even if I entertain your fantasy, I’m sure the Kings know Pickard’s weaknesses too. I’m sure they would shoot to them as well. They may not be his glove hand, but he’s definitely weaker on his blocker and along the ice.

But I know better than trying to convince you otherwise.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1714025343324.png

Seriously Nurse.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Game 3 is massive for Skinner. Will we see the Skinner of earlier this year, who was able to shake off a bad game and come back with a confident effort his next start, or will we see last year's playoff version, where his confidence was completely shot and he never recovered. Pretty big game in his young career, it's showtime.
He did have bounce back games last year in playoffs.

Went .886 to .917, .893 to .904, .848 to .968, and .826 to .962.

What he and our Team D needs to do this year is not have so many bounce back situations. Won’t get there with shit turnovers and blown coverages there and won’t get there with goals from bad angles either.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not gonna agree on this one. McD had 5 assists game one. Drai has been productive in both games. Our big guns are among league leaders in playoff pts. At some point you need a save, you need any save.

Skinner has one of the worst playoff save % again this season and needs to be remembered he's playing against the Kings. If Skinner was facing the Oilers his GAA would be around 8.

Oh I'm not absolving Skinner. I'm not a fan

But on a night where they needed one more goal to cover up for his ineptitude, they couldn't get it done,.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Skinner, as predicted, says he played okay and he didn’t impact the game. He isn’t going to get better until he starts being more competitive and admitting he sucked and getting better. MJ fans from the Last Dance see this. Clearly nothing motivates Skinner because he thinks he is good every game

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Stu makes that save if Nuge doesn't get his stick there, but still a save you want.

He did say post game he didn't see a thing
That doesn't exactly reassure me of anything though. He needs to be able to find pucks through screens and that was a pretty pedestrian screen. Wait until there's 4 or 5 bodies in a lane and not just one from one of the lowest percentage scoring spots in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Oilhawks

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
We've given up 9 goals in 2 games to one of the weakest teams in the playoffs... Yeah. That's bad. Skinner needs to be better than that and this team still can't stop beating itself!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ya on all 3 of those goals I was thinking... wow never saw that before from these guys... you get 3 of those type goals in one game and you NEED to win it because those aren't goals that will be repeated any time soon.

Definitely a game where the Oilers threw the win away vs the Kings beating them,
Yeh there was an opportunity to take advantage of great goals from unusual suspects. Tough to see that go to waste. One or two plays go differently and we would have been on our way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've said this many times but look at Skinner on pt shots. Most times if he's screened he doesn't even try hard to look around the screen. he just kind of hopes its not going in. Its incredible how dangerous any screen is on him and the Oilers are excellent at boxking out and moving guys out of there. But Byfield and PLD are hard to move.

btw Kings should park Laferriere and Lizotte. Both just awful. you can't be both small and making bad decisions. Laferriere -3, dragging down any line he's on. Lizotte with the dumb as rocks penalty on Draisaitl leading to a goal. Might be time for Kings to pull Kaliyev out of the trasn heap and see if he's got anything.

Laferriere might be a player but he's not ready for this intensity.

Reactions: iCanada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad