Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Im not giving up yet but it did surprise me to see that the Kings had the Oilers big guns playing so flustered. The best Oilers in this game were the bottom 6 players.

Im willing to bet that McDavid/Draisaitl and RNH will be much better in LA.

The support forwards (and Kulak) more than held up their end of the bargain. The big guns needed to get that extra goal to steal a game over a mediocre goaltending performance.

Next game will be telling, can't let old man Talbot steal a game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not even criticizing Skinner in just this game at this point.

He's sub 88% in the playoffs in his career through 14 playoff games he's appeared in.

The numbers don't lie and going back to that well again and again could be a main reason this team can't go far.

Call it hate but it's a reality that a sub 88% goaltender (after a reasonably big sample size) shows that this goaltender isn't likely to be someone you can depend on to help take you to the promised land.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How was the save % in those years?

You can choose to remain ignorant about the impact goaltendinf has in the playoffs.
Of course it has an impact. But they also have elite players at other positions who perform when it counts. We have some up front but that’s it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Draisatl save was the only good one he made. He was shit most of the night but the oilers opted not to challenge him.

That Holloway is our second leading goal scorer right now is laughable.
Thats just completely false. He made a massive glove save on Bouchard on the PP. He shut the door on McLeod on a breakaway. Can you name a single "big" save that Skinner made? I'll wait.

Reactions: Oilhawks

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
1st goal bouchard with a muffin up the boards can't do that shot ourselves in the foot
2nd goal just have to tip your hat to Kempe not much anyone could do
3rd goal brutal to allow a breakaway like that when we just clawed back. This was the worst goal for me
4th goal Skinner is screened but still has to have it
5th goal lucky bounce great shot.

Overall - I don't think we deserved this game, but also just such a pure LA kings baloney win... every chance they had they capitalized on

Going back to last series the last 3 wins for the Kings have all been in overtime. So gross

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
People refuse to acknowledge how horribly bad his move across is. One game in Carolina pregame Skinner is "working on edges" and he slides across 20feet wiping out in practice. The whole Canes team laughs. They blow 4 by him in first period.

Most contender teams fear the Oilers. The only thing they don't fear is Skinner. The great equalizer. Takes our generational spectacular talent and pummels into the dirt with his shit big game goaltending.
Where have people refused to acknowledge that? Again inventing narratives.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I’ll make a list/

Perry
Nuge
Ceci
McLeod
Nurse
And even bouch had some really bad moments

Thats your list? lmfao

Not wrong. Both Talbot glove saves on Drai and Bouchard's bomb on the PP are without question behind Skinner. He gets beat on the glove hand A LOT.
LMFAO When you know where the puck is going you dont have to tryy to save anything else (Save on draisdaitl when mcdavid opted not to shoot in the slot)

Bouchards was a slow pass and nobody was in front of talbot

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thats just completely false. He made a massive glove save on Bouchard on the PP. He shut the door on McLeod on a breakaway. Can you name a single "big" save that Skinner made? I'll wait.
McLeod made a piss easy move that any goalie could’ve stopped. Bouchard blast was completely unscreened.

Skinner stopped a breakaway of his own last game just before we made it 3-0. Satisfied?

Reactions: mcdingdong

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
That was a midget level mistake from a NHL defender…stop drifting and puck watching.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would take that bet too.

As weird as it is. Sometimes there is less pressure as the away team. Just go play your game
Thats a good point. :nod:

McDavid is too smart to continue to do what he did in this game. I think he watches the film and will know that on the rush there are 3-4 Kings right around him in their zone most of the time. So that means there are soft spots for his wingers. I think he will be taking advantage of that next game.

• Love
Reactions: AT14C and Ibanez

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He made one on Kempe that was actually a better chance that the shot he scored on. But that’s really all I can think of. Was really shaky and out of sorts all game. That one where Fiala hit the post and Skinner just flopped forward was indicative of his play all game. Every shot against was a clench moment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Knoblauch ain't pulling Skinner unless he gives up 4 in a period and then sometimes maybe not.

What does the team that heavily outworked the Kings, outplayed the kings, that got vast majority of scoring chances thing about the constant absolving of 5 goal Skinner? ANY other contender would have found other goaltendign, a starter, by now. Or at least use what else you have.

Kempe LOVES Skinner in net.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The support forwards (and Kulak) more than held up their end of the bargain. The big guns needed to get that extra goal to steal a game over a mediocre goaltending performance.

Next game will be telling, can't let old man Talbot steal a game.
Wasted a great Kulak blast and two Holloway snipes tonight. Not like we’re gonna get those all the time, just needed one from one of the McDraiNugeHyms and we escape with the W.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats your list? lmfao

LMFAO When you know where the puck is going you dont have to tryy to save anything else (Save on draisdaitl when mcdavid opted not to shoot in the slot)

Bouchards was a slow pass and nobody was in front of talbot
And yet both of those would beat Skinner. He gets beat on the glove hand routinely. Hell he gets beat on a weak slap shot from the sidewall by Fiala with no screen. You think Skinner has the lateral movement to save that Draisaitl shot? If there was a number smaller than zero that would be Skinner's chance of making that save.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Thats a good point. :nod:

McDavid is too smart to continue to do what he did in this game. I think he watches the film and will know that on the rush there are 3-4 Kings right around him in their zone most of the time. So that means there are soft spots for his wingers. I think he will be taking advantage of that next game.
I felt his wingers can do a better job of finding those spaces instead of just watching the McD show.

Reactions: Ibanez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn’t help that we gave em gifts all night too which lead to space to execute like that. Bouchs giveaway on goal 1 leads to pretty much a one timer in the slot with no one touching Kempe. Then the breakaway breakdown was self inflicted as well. The other goals the Kings made the plays.

One more play from one of our guys and we eke out the victory.
Yeah...thats what I saw too. Just too many soft plays.
It surprised me to be honest. I wasnt expecting that from this team at this point in time.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hate to bring this up, but 38 year old Smith or whatever would have won this game, handily.

Skinner has to be better. The bar is so f***ing low

Reactions: TB12 and Ibanez

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Of course it has an impact. But they also have elite players at other positions who perform when it counts. We have some up front but that’s it.

no team is winning with a goalie having a .800 sv%. It’s not even just one game. It’s a big enough sample size at this point to be concerned about.
Mdoesnt seem like a playoff performer

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And yet both of those would beat Skinner. He gets beat on the glove hand routinely. Hell he gets beat on a weak slap shot from the sidewall by Fiala with no screen. You think Skinner has the lateral movement to save that Draisaitl shot? If there was a number smaller than zero that would be Skinner's chance of making that save.
He was fully screened on the Fiala goal…now you’re just making crap up. Don’t need to do that lol, he played poorly enough.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Maybe.
I thought that Henrique and Hyman looked okay to pretty good.

I think that they need Holloway in the bottom 6. He adds speed and physicality and he seems to have some chenistry with Janmark who also had a good game.
Yes, Janmark did have a strong game.

Reactions: guymez

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Just got back from the game, too many big time mistakes from the Oilers that gave the Kings quality players very good chances. The kings just waited for the mistakes, and they were there and capitalized.I was impressed by the kings ability to stretch the ice a few times and get the oilers in their heels. The team needs to play a tighter more complete game. 4 shots in the 3rd is embarrassing, When Knoblauch was asked what he liked about hollowyas game he should’ve said he shot the puck.

Now Skinner - needed to be better. The two goals In particular are doughtys - I know he fanned on it but he just wasn’t strong enough. The other is the goal from the side wall, just can’t have that go in. So he’s a big reason, but the oilers made some big time errors in front of him and need to do better.

Reactions: Sanchez

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McLeod made a piss easy move that any goalie could’ve stopped. Bouchard blast was completely unscreened.

Skinner stopped a breakaway of his own last game just before we made it 3-0. Satisfied?
Did I say last game? Skinner was fine last game. He was downright dreadful tonight. The Fiala and Doughty goal were downright embarrassing. You say McLeod made a piss easy move but Doughty didn't even make a move and scored. In fact he didn't even take a shot.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
man, all those posts calling out Skinner "haters" in the latter part of the regular season..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad