Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I said Oilers in 6, only because they take the Kings lightly every single year

this is never gonna be a sweep...probably not even a 5-gamer
But they don't. The Oilers were Hells Bells intensity in this gqme. For sure played good enough to win and dominated facets of the game, absolutely dominated special teams. The Oilers were so good in this game they Outchanced the Kings on the 4 Kings PP's. The Oilers had edge in chances even on Kings man advantage. Scoring chances something like 16-7 Oilers. Kings score 5.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Oilers played a great 20 minutes in a game where their goalie was shaky AF all game. That’s a recipe for a loss 9 times out of 10.

Skinner needs to be way better, Nurse needs to be way better, Ceci needs to sit, they need to find a way to free up McDavid and Nuge needs to wake TF up as well.

Come out in game three and play like they did for the second period all game and bury these losers.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think the bolded is the rub of it

We should be happy that they made the playoffs and enjoy the ride. The team as is still far too inconsistent to be a serious contender

Hopefully some weakspots excised by the new GM
I think this is an overreaction IMO

Skinner was the weakest link tonight but McDavid was neutralized and the defense played soft...they can and will tighten up and the big boys need to show up

even a vet team like the Bruins lost at home to the Leafs

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Oilers 2nd best defensive dman (after Ekholm) is once again eating popcorn in the pressbox instead of being a positive factor on the ice for the Oilers.

Get Stecher in there... at least give this team a chance at having as good of a defensive roster as possible because the D needs some improvement as well.

You score 11 goals... you should win those 2 games.

I think there's a very good chance Stecher can make a difference out there defensively.

Stetcher should absolutely be in there after whatever the f*** Ceci and Desharnais were doing all game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Nuge simply MIA tonight. You have to get more from a veteran like that. Holloway was much better with far less experience. That is something that RNH should take note of.

Reactions: guymez

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
The Oilers 2nd best defensive dman (after Ekholm) is once again eating popcorn in the pressbox instead of being a positive factor on the ice for the Oilers.

Get Stecher in there... at least give this team a chance at having as good of a defensive roster as possible because the D needs some improvement as well.

You score 11 goals... you should win those 2 games.

I think there's a very good chance Stecher can make a difference out there defensively.
Damn..I forgot about Sketcher. Yeah, why not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was no surprise at all to me to see Nurse swimming on his stomach as Kopitar skates in to win the game.

Reactions: Dieseloil

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kopitars goal was also the only actual scoring chance the Kings generated in more than 2 periods.

You give stuff up sometimes even when you're good. Other good teams get saves.
Did we even have any scoring chances in the third and OT? We played timid hockey, Kings stayed composed and waited for the patented Oiler mistake.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't believe in this team winning 16 games.

16 games boys! Do you?

Oilers will scratch this series out and lose in 6 next series MARK MY WORDS

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Skinner is 85.7% through 2 games.

That's not even good enough for 80's goaltending.

Oilers are lucky they have faced Talbot who is 86.7% so far... if the Kings had a better goaltender this series would be in far more jeopardy.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Nuge is invisible. I don’t get the love for him.
He’s a nice guy. Easy to like and on a good contract. He excels on the pp. lots to like about the guy

But yeah he’s Casper the friendly ghost in the playoffs

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think this is an overreaction IMO

Skinner was the weakest link tonight but McDavid was neutralized and the defense played soft...they can and will tighten up and the big boys need to show up

even a vet team like the Bruins lost at home to the Leafs

I appreciate your positivity, but both Ullmark and Swayman are much better than Skinner (and Pickard for that matter).

They will go as far as Stewey takes them

Reactions: iCanada

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nuge simply MIA tonight. You have to get more from a veteran like that. Holloway was much better with far less experience. That is something that RNH should take note of.
Holloway had an amazing game. Really good to see.
His confidence should be sky high moving forward.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I agree with this.
Skinner wasnt the whole problem in this game. The Kings deserved this win. Their big time players out preformed the Oilers big time players. That might have been one of the worst games from McDrai I have seen in some time. The Kings absolutely neutralized McDavid. He was basically a non factor. Constantly trying to beat 4 or 5 Kings players one on one. Played right into their hands.
RNH was invisable. Hymen was the best top line player in this game for the Oilers.
If not for Holloway the Kings win this game fairly easily.
Kings top players aren’t on the level of ours. But yeh, they made the plays tonight. Kempe with that bat out of mid air for goal 2. Byfield with the bat to Kopi in OT. They’re quick bang bang plays that they executed on. Meanwhile our guys found it difficult to get much going all game. We needed a couple of surprise Hollywood snipes to even have this tied.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I agree with this.
Skinner wasnt the whole problem in this game. The Kings deserved this win. Their big time players out preformed the Oilers big time players. That might have been one of the worst games from McDrai I have seen in some time. The Kings absolutely neutralized McDavid. He was basically a non factor. Constantly trying to beat 4 or 5 Kings players one on one. Played right into their hands.
RNH was invisable. Hymen was the best top line player in this game for the Oilers.
If not for Holloway the Kings win this game fairly easily.

I thought the oilers drove the majority of the play.

Skinner let in 2, arguably 3 soft goals.

I don't think he's going to have a game like this again in the series. Oilers win this series in 5-6 with the way they have played if the goaltending is even reasonable IMO.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
100%
Their big guns were very good.
I was surprised to see the Oilers big guns look so ineffective. They pounded McDavid every chance they got.
Kopitar has been one of the most underrated stars in the NHL for at least a decade. That was a perfect shot over the shoulder-- like the famous Gretzky-Vernon shot back in the 80's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad