Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You’re missing the point. If your team scores 4 goals in the playoffs- that should enough to win. This is just statistically true

It’s compete nonsense. Thinking that all there is to winning a hockey game is scoring 4 goals and you should automatically win is just plain dumb.

Imagine thinking that offense is the only part of a hockey game that matters at all lol.

Score 4 goals while giving up a million high danger scoring chances against, no you shouldn’t win every time. You still need to play defense.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It’s compete nonsense. Thinking that all there is to winning a hockey game is scoring 4 goals and you should automatically win is just plain dumb.

Imagine thinking that offense is the only part of a hockey game that matters at all lol.

Score 4 goals while giving up a million high danger scoring chances against, no you shouldn’t win every time. You still need to play defense.
So you are saying scoring 4 goals most teams don’t statistically win. You are wrong. Oilers didn’t give up a million high danger chances and Skinner’s high danger save % sucked- so your point makes zero sense. Moneypuck had Oilers winning at 65%. The loss is in goaltending.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So you are saying scoring 4 goals most teams don’t statistically win. You are wrong. Oilers didn’t give up a million high danger chances and Skinner’s high danger save % sucked- so your point makes zero sense. Moneypuck had Oilers winning at 65%. The loss is in goaltending.
Nope I never said that. Not at all. I’m the one who said that defense matters lol. Now you’re trying to take credit for that and add it to your argument lol.

You claimed that the only factor was that if you score 4 goals you should automatically win. Now you’re completely changing the argument after being called out for blabbering nonsense.

I didn’t realize that you were being dishonest in your original claim and that you’d act even more dishonest if called on it lol.

This is stupid and pointless. If you want o keep making up things that I never said in every reply go ahead. I’m done. G

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I’m not even sure what you are talking in regards to Bouchard. That’s just bias and keying in on every error. He is, with an XGAR of 88%, the best on the team for balancing risk reward. Ekholm gets all the credit for “helping” Bouchard- yet no one seems to recognize Ekholm playing the best hockey of his career alongside Bouchard.

On that play you are referring to- Foegele made a weak play down low, then Drai did a fly by.

Not to necro this thread, but only saw this comment today.

This is a really odd drive-by... you couldn't have been reading the thread I was responding to. If you were, you'd know I was actually defending Bouchard by laying some blame on Foegele for not giving Bouchard a decent (like on the halfwall) pass option and instead turning his back and skating out of the zone.

Guymez and others were trying to talk me out of that, placing blame squarely on Bouchard for forcing a pass that wasn't really there and suggested glass-and-out was the safe/correct play there, I mean, sure I kinda agree... but implicit in my argument is that Bouchard sometimes sees plays that others don't see... That was my point about Bouchard, his risk reward equation is going to be influenced by the way he approaches the game, which is offense/possession driven and influenced by the plays he can make.

I certainly don't think I'm keying in on every error... we were talking about one play where he screwed up (I think we all agree on that) which led to a goal. He's offensively minded, wired to have us keep the puck on our sticks, so he's going to force things from time to time... you take the good with the bad.

To that point... what an absolute f'n rocket last night.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Well here we are, Just 1 win away from a showdown with the Canucks. Lets get the job done, then its time to show Vancouver who the best fans are, the most iconic team outside of the East is, and what it feels to play the Oilers in a playoff series.

bring on these tools. They will always take a backseat the to Edmonton when it comes to hockey.

https://x.com/nhlspotlight/status/1784780424507695113

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well here we are, Just 1 win away from a showdown with the Canucks. Lets get the job done, then its time to show Vancouver who the best fans are, the most iconic team outside of the East is, and what it feels to play the Oilers in a playoff series.

bring on these tools. They will always take a backseat the to Edmonton when it comes to hockey.

https://x.com/nhlspotlight/status/1784780424507695113
This is weird, the Nucks still have to win their series. The Oilers do too, but one team has dominated, the other has been good but very fortunate.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not to necro this thread, but only saw this comment today.

This is a really odd drive-by... you couldn't have been reading the thread I was responding to. If you were, you'd know I was actually defending Bouchard by laying some blame on Foegele for not giving Bouchard a decent (like on the halfwall) pass option and instead turning his back and skating out of the zone.

Guymez and others were trying to talk me out of that, placing blame squarely on Bouchard for forcing a pass that wasn't really there and suggested glass-and-out was the safe/correct play there, I mean, sure I kinda agree... but implicit in my argument is that Bouchard sometimes sees plays that others don't see... That was my point about Bouchard, his risk reward equation is going to be influenced by the way he approaches the game, which is offense/possession driven and influenced by the plays he can make.

I certainly don't think I'm keying in on every error... we were talking about one play where he screwed up (I think we all agree on that) which led to a goal. He's offensively minded, wired to have us keep the puck on our sticks, so he's going to force things from time to time... you take the good with the bad.

To that point... what an absolute f'n rocket last night.
If I could jump in...I think more than anything it was just a disagreement on how we saw that specific play.
I didnt even want or expect Bouchard to put it off the glass...just put it in a place that Foegele could transition the puck up ice. Where he did end up puting the puck was not at all conducive to any meaningful transition. It was a pass that looked far too leisurely considering the urgency of the situation.

Just for the sake of clarity (not necessarily directed at you) I also dont think for a minute that Bouchard should be expected to play mistake free.
Thats an obvious impossibility for any player.
That said...my point of focus was on Bouchard was his lingering tendency (on defence) to make a leisurely play instead of making an assertive play.
That has been something that has been in Bouchards game since he arrived in the NHL. Its much better than it used to be for sure buy my main point was that I would like to see him eliminate that particular element from his game.
That is why that specific play (mentioned above) stood out to me.

I also dont view players through a polorized lens. Good or bad...hate the player or love the player.
That is something that tends to happen on these boards all too often.
Looking through that lens suggests that any and all criticism of a player is unacceptable which IMO is a nonsense perspective.
Doesnt matter to me if the player is Draisaitl, McDavid, Nurse or Bouchard or any other player.
We should be able to point out positives and negatives in a players game without being labelled as a hater..

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Oilers scored 4. The team isn’t just McDavid. Team scores 4- your goalie needs to do his part.
and then Skinner lets in 1 goal over 2 games, including none in a 1 to 0 win. Hockey is a team sport, you win as a team, you lose as a team. Having the best player doesn't guarantee you anything. The hate for certain Oiler players on this board is disgusting (Nurse, Ceci, Bouchard, Foegel, McLeod, Skinner, RNH, etc.), how about just cheering and supporting your team?

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad