Czech Republic: OT: Coming to Praha

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hello! As there are lots of train work in Europe I have cpme to the conclusion that I won't make it to France or Italy in October so I will likely go to Praha instead.

Any good tips?

I blew lots of money in Copenhagen this summer so cheap options are very appreciated.

How are the thrift stores in the city?
Any must try restaurants?
Museums worth visiting?
Any signature pastry or dessert? I've understood the trdelnik isn't:D

Cheap hotel that is not awful? I am a bit too old and comfortable to share in a hostel...

Thanks in advance!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava

Erm... do you intend to arrive naked? :huh: Might be too cold for that.

Otherwise, it's a post-Communist country, so it should definitely be possible to live and board there affordably. Yeah, even in (or close to) Prague, if you don't insist on camping smack in the center of Wenceslas Square.

I would advise looking at booking.com. (Better option than hostels.com, which you intend to avoid, and perhaps also better than Airbnb.)

Enjoy! It's a great city, in more senses than one. I typically visit there once a year, in the fall, too, but probably not to attend hockey this year. (Now, if "my" LA Kings were playing, that would be different!) Because my relatives live close by and I stay overnight with them, I can't give you specific accommodation hints.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Haha, I figured you meant something like Lidl discount stores, and yeah, there are lots & lots of such stores all around Prague.

(When I was in Copenhagen, I almost starved to death – everything was so expensive. I hear Sweden isn't much better in that regard. Scandinavia is tough for visiting Western Europeans and Americans, too, but for visitors from post-Communist Europe, it can really be a drastic experience for their wallets.)

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Haha, I figured you meant something like Lidl discount stores, and yeah, there are lots & lots of such stores all around Prague.

(When I was in Copenhagen, I almost starved to death – everything was so expensive. I hear Sweden isn't much better in that regard. Scandinavia is tough for visiting Western Europeans and Americans, too, but for visitors from post-Communist Europe, it can really be a drastic experience for their wallets.)
Sweden is much, much better than Copenhagen. In Copenhagen we paid more for breakfast than for all three meals in Malmö(which is cheap for Sweden).

Do Lidls stores have a naked dresscode in Czechia?!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Do Lidls stores have a naked dresscode in Czechia?!

I must disappoint you, but quite the opposite, at least during the recent virus wave. (Face coverings were mandatory; fortunately, that is no longer – and, hopefully, never again will be – required).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I find a reasonable 4 star hotel (Don Giovanni) by the Zelivského metro station. It costs just €20 more for four nights than some of the shabby places I've been looking at near the centre.

How is that area? Seems to take 20 minutes to get to the centre so distancewise it is ok.

Seems to be cross the road from Faterson's naked Lidl.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Everything is across some sort of Lidl or other. I haven't heard of any truly problematic areas in Prague, especially not so relatively close to city center. Prague is post-Communist but extremely civilized (mesmerizing, too). I should be there in late October this year (too late for the NHL game).

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Everything is across some sort of Lidl or other. I haven't heard of any truly problematic areas in Prague, especially not so relatively close to city center. Prague is post-Communist but extremely civilized (mesmerizing, too). I should be there in late October this year (too late for the NHL game).
I'll be there like the day after or so

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Seems to be a couple of arcades there, nice! They're pretty much extinct in Sweden.

But one thing I've been warned of are the fake supermarkets with marked up prices. What are some local super markets with normal prices?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The bus is now booked! Found a promo code saving me around €60 that I can use to get a nicer hotel. Psyched with all the weird stuff Prague has to offer.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ended up booking Royal Court in Nové Mesto. Seems good enough, decently cheap. Missed out on a big promo on a much more luxorious place, but meh. Will just sleep and possibly eat breakfast there.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Definitely check out this playlist from Honest Guide, it's by far the best series out there for people visiting Prague IMO. They often try to introduce alternative locations/places that you won't find in regular guides. They offer great tips and always include maps in the video description.

There's quite a lot of them around Prague. Not a thrifting guy myself but after a quick search here are some of the best reviewed ones.
Three of those are part of the Prague Thrift Store chain and should be very tourist friendly. Cesta domů is probably the most "authentic" and cozy experience.

Any must try restaurants?
Traditional Czech cuisine:

Mincovna on the Old Town Square - They offer great beer and traditional Czech dishes made in a very simplistic and modern style for good prices. It's located right in the center of Prague, on the main square. All in all, one of the best value for money restaurants in Prague.

Clasic beer pubs:
U Hrocha, U Zlatého tygra, U Houdků - My personal top 3. Old school Czech atmosphere, fantastic beer and food. Those can get pretty crowded come evening, so consider that.

Mediterranean cuisine:
Marina Ristorante - Not on the cheap side but you get a top notch quality in a stylish environment with one of the best views Prague has to offer.

Museums worth visiting?
There obviously the National Museum on the Wenceslas Square, they offer a great variety of exhibitions. National Technical Museum is great one as well. Here's a nice list.

Any signature pastry or dessert? I've understood the trdelnik isn't:D
My favourite = ovocné tvarohové knedlíky (fruit filled dumplings with quark and sugar)
Here are some of the other signature ones.

I hope you'll enjoy Prague, have a pleasant stay :)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Definitely check out this playlist from Honest Guide, it's by far the best series out there for people visiting Prague IMO. They often try to introduce alternative locations/places that you won't find in regular guides. They offer great tips and always include maps in the video description.

There's quite a lot of them around Prague. Not a thrifting guy myself but after a quick search here are some of the best reviewed ones.
Three of those are part of the Prague Thrift Store chain and should be very tourist friendly. Cesta domů is probably the most "authentic" and cozy experience.

Traditional Czech cuisine:

Mincovna on the Old Town Square - They offer great beer and traditional Czech dishes made in a very simplistic and modern style for good prices. It's located right in the center of Prague, on the main square. All in all, one of the best value for money restaurants in Prague.

Clasic beer pubs:
U Hrocha, U Zlatého tygra, U Houdků - My personal top 3. Old school Czech atmosphere, fantastic beer and food. Those can get pretty crowded come evening, so consider that.

Mediterranean cuisine:
Marina Ristorante - Not on the cheap side but you get a top notch quality in a stylish environment with one of the best views Prague has to offer.

There obviously the National Museum on the Wenceslas Square, they offer a great variety of exhibitions. National Technical Museum is great one as well. Here's a nice list.

My favourite = ovocné tvarohové knedlíky (fruit filled dumplings with quark and sugar)
Here are some of the other signature ones.

I hope you'll enjoy Prague, have a pleasant stay :)
Thanks a bundle. Have been checking out Honest guide for a couple of years! Very good videos.

Reactions: Voodoozz

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have some problems quickly calculating the currency (almost 2,5 czech per SEK) but clothes are at most 15% cheaper than in Sweden. Maybe the market in the central station or Little Hanoi is worth a visit :D

Groceries are dirt cheap.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
One thing that is very wrong here.. No multipacks of Fidorkas! Tomorrow I will need to hunt down the best priced ones to bring home. If only I remember where I bought them for 8...

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad