O'sullivan have a real shot at the calder?

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
I think that if Patty O gets big minutes and powerplay minutes, he could possibly score 50 pts. As someone mentioned, it all depends :dunno: I think its safe to say he's going to hit 40. LA fans should just be happy if he settles well. As a Wild fan and a karmicly-paranoid kinda guy (if'n that even means anything in English), I have that slight itch of a fear that he'll tear it up. No sense crying anymore over spilt prospects ... er ... traded prospects.

As for Malkin scoring at a PPG clip ... if Crosby is feeding him the puck, its certainly possible. Why wouldn't Pittsburgh put him on the powerplay and give him lots of ice time? They've nothing to lose. Of course, he has yet to set foot in NA to play hockey.

The Big E

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I realize that a lot of rookies don't score more than 60 points in their rookie seasons. However, with the way the game has opened up, there's a better than average chance that we're going to see rookies score higher and higher totals. That's part of the fun about this.

Agreed.

I lost a bet last year when, before the season started I insisted that there was no way Crosby would score 100 points as a rookie. The game opened up more than I thought and Crosby scored a lot of points in the 20 to 25 meaningless games that the Penguins played to finish off last season. And low and behold, TWO rookies scored 100 points (on really bad teams too.)

Malkin might not be that good. Or, he might miss a lot of games to injury. Whatever the case, after the impressive numbers O'Sullivan put up as a rookie in the AHL last year, I sure wouldn't count him out.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
hahahahahahahahahahaha.......that's good. O'Sullivan, will definitely score more than 50 to 60 points. I could easily see O'Sullivan putting up numbers that you've got Malkin putting up. Don't underestimate O'Sullivan. He's going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder and I'm willing to bet he's going to do some outstanding things this year.

hahahahaahahahahaha....I would like to put money on this with you.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
If he cracks LA's top 6 this year, IMO the Calder is his to loose...

I've been a fan of his ever since he started junior. I've seen him play probably 8-9 times live and I think he's a hell of a talent... Kings fans have a lot to look forward to with this kid.

Canuck Flop

Aug 9, 2006
So Many Prospect Options

Well it's true that many from that class have already had some huge success at the NHL level, but maybe that's not what everyone is looking for here. I think the big question now is, who is the best "Prospect" now of the remaining group who will contribute this year. I'd rank the group like this

Malkin (even if he doesn't play)
O'Sullivan
Brule
Wolski
Kopitar
Penner
Hudler

Penner, I just don't see the huge upside for a big player in today's NHL. Kopitar could be a fantastic center, but for at least 2 years he'll be behind Conroy for ice time. Hudler isn't too well known to me, but it seems he has a logjam to fight through as well to make the top 2 lines (even with Shanahan out).

If I had to pick a prospect for a fantasy draft, Malkin would still be the guy with the highest potential, I think Wolski is just below the top 3, but the difference between O'Sullivan and Brule? That one has me stumped. A lights-out AHL prospect LW vs. a gifted centerman setting up Nash? O'Sullivan may have the better numbers (AHL vs. WHL talent comparison) but who will perform better overall?

Vic Rattlehead*

Well it's true that many from that class have already had some huge success at the NHL level, but maybe that's not what everyone is looking for here. I think the big question now is, who is the best "Prospect" now of the remaining group who will contribute this year. I'd rank the group like this

Malkin (even if he doesn't play)
O'Sullivan
Brule
Wolski
Kopitar
Penner
Hudler

Penner, I just don't see the huge upside for a big player in today's NHL. Kopitar could be a fantastic center, but for at least 2 years he'll be behind Conroy for ice time. Hudler isn't too well known to me, but it seems he has a logjam to fight through as well to make the top 2 lines (even with Shanahan out).

If I had to pick a prospect for a fantasy draft, Malkin would still be the guy with the highest potential, I think Wolski is just below the top 3, but the difference between O'Sullivan and Brule? That one has me stumped. A lights-out AHL prospect LW vs. a gifted centerman setting up Nash? O'Sullivan may have the better numbers (AHL vs. WHL talent comparison) but who will perform better overall?

It's a shame you forgot Toivonen. He played so well last year, that I see him being topb3-5 for the Calder trophy. He also has a better defence in front of him to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad