Confirmed with Link: Oskari Salminen goalie elc

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
WINNIPEG, May 6, 2022 - The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have agreed to terms with goaltender Oskari Salminen on a two-year, entry-level contract with an average annual value in the NHL of $925,000. His contract will begin in the 2022-23 season.

Salminen, 22, spent the 2021-22 season with Jukurit of the Finnish Liiga where he was coached by Jets alumni Olli Jokinen. The native of Kotka, Finland played 55 games for Jukurit and had a 29-14-11 record with nine shutouts, a 2.07 goals-against average, and a .920 save percentage. Salminen led the Liiga in wins (29), saves (1,260), minutes played (3,194), and he was tied for first in shutouts (9).
Salminen has spent his entire professional career in Finland, including playing parts of three seasons in Liiga for Jukurit and KooKoo. He has played 85 games in Liiga and compiled a 39-23-19 record with 11 shutouts.
Oskari Salminen
Goalie
Born Sep 22 1999 -- Kotka, Finland
Height 6.04 -- Weight 220 -- Shoots L

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
WINNIPEG, May 6, 2022 - The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have agreed to terms with goaltender Oskari Salminen on a two-year, entry-level contract with an average annual value in the NHL of $925,000. His contract will begin in the 2022-23 season.

Salminen, 22, spent the 2021-22 season with Jukurit of the Finnish Liiga where he was coached by Jets alumni Olli Jokinen. The native of Kotka, Finland played 55 games for Jukurit and had a 29-14-11 record with nine shutouts, a 2.07 goals-against average, and a .920 save percentage. Salminen led the Liiga in wins (29), saves (1,260), minutes played (3,194), and he was tied for first in shutouts (9).
Salminen has spent his entire professional career in Finland, including playing parts of three seasons in Liiga for Jukurit and KooKoo. He has played 85 games in Liiga and compiled a 39-23-19 record with 11 shutouts.
Oskari Salminen
Goalie
Born Sep 22 1999 -- Kotka, Finland
Height 6.04 -- Weight 220 -- Shoots L

Well the org needs to start to think about what to do for goaltending as Helle only has a couple of years left. This seems like a good low risk move that could pay off if he cab transition well to NA.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets I am sure will do everything possible to lock up Hellebuyck on another long term contract.

I'm sure they will as well but Helle will ultimately be the one to decide if he wants to stay or not. The Jets need to have some contingencies in place if he doesn't stay.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I'm sure they will as well but Helle will ultimately be the one to decide if he wants to stay or not. The Jets need to have some contingencies in place if he doesn't stay.
I'd also be concerned about locking up too much term and money in an aging Helley, just as I am concerned about such contracts for any player approaching their 30s.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He has good numbers. Not expecting much but not a bad addition to the organization.

Finnpressive!

More goalies = better, especially if Berdin is looking around for other opportunities and/ or Comrie signs elsewhere. This looks a Moose move for a team that may be losing some confidence in Holm.

Reactions: hn777

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Finnpressive!

More goalies = better, especially if Berdin is looking around for other opportunities and/ or Comrie signs elsewhere. This looks a Moose move for a team that may be losing some confidence in Holm.
Nah, it’s Holms first season in North America. IMo, had more to do with Berdin.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Nah, it’s Holms first season in North America. IMo, had more to do with Berdin.

Agreed. Berdin likes to play, and wants to be considered the starter. He kind of got lost in the shuffle of goaltenders this season due to injury and other goalies stepping up. With Holm, Cormier, and Desrosiers stepping up, the crease may be too crowded. He needs to fight for his crease. As it is, not sold on him as a starter.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Salminen was really good for Jukurit. Big, athletic and has great glove hand. Makes me think of Pekka Rinne. Has some inconsistency issues and in the playoffs he lost his #1 spot to Karolus Kaarlehto. Jukurit signed 2 other goaltenders for next season so it seems Salminen is not coming back to Jukurit and instead staying in NA.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Agreed. Berdin likes to play, and wants to be considered the starter. He kind of got lost in the shuffle of goaltenders this season due to injury and other goalies stepping up. With Holm, Cormier, and Desrosiers stepping up, the crease may be too crowded. He needs to fight for his crease. As it is, not sold on him as a starter.

Berdin hasn't been great the last 2 years and I doubt he has interest in another season the AHL. This guy should split starts with Holm next season... a shame about Berdin though... always liked his personality and entertaining style of play.

Reactions: hockeyarena

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Salminen has been named finalist (top 3) for Liiga's Best Goaltender Award.
He probably doesn't win it though.
Can you give us any scouting report on this guy?

Edit: you already did, sorry. Thanks.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Salminen finished 3rd in voting (15 first place votes) for "Best Goaltender" award.
Former Jets Legend Olli Jokinen won the award for the best coach.
It's very difficult to call Olli Jokinen a Jets legend. He did play here. Was underwhelming. Eventually lost his job to Scheifele. What I find remarkable about Jokinen is he only played in the playoffs once in an 18 year career.

You have to wonder if the Jets aren't thinking that Salminen and Holm might be their tandem for next year. Holm was mediocre in his first year, but maybe having someone who is able to communicate with him in a common language will help him improve as a goaltender.

At this point Jared Moe is looking like the Jets best goalie prospect.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
It's very difficult to call Olli Jokinen a Jets legend. He did play here. Was underwhelming. Eventually lost his job to Scheifele. What I find remarkable about Jokinen is he only played in the playoffs once in an 18 year career.

You have to wonder if the Jets aren't thinking that Salminen and Holm might be their tandem for next year. Holm was mediocre in his first year, but maybe having someone who is able to communicate with him in a common language will help him improve as a goaltender.

At this point Jared Moe is looking like the Jets best goalie prospect.
It was a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad