Oskar Sundqvist is on pace for 20 goals. Is the Ryan Reaves trade JR’s worst?

Rutherford’s Worst Trade

• Total voters

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
See above title.

Unnecessary trade that was bad from
day one.

Easily my vote for JR’s worst trade.

I agree with you, but you should add the Brassard trade. I'd be interested in seeing the % of votes that would get.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Taking everything into account, the Perron trade. Sundqvist is likely a case of an ok player scoring on a bad team, but I don't watch the Blues much. Either way, he ain't ever gonna be on Barzal's level.

Yeah, I know. Perron got us Hags.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Gotta go with Brassard. Reaves is actually solid in Vegas too so it´s not like we were trading for a useless player there... Brassard is pure trash tho.. acoording eye-test, stats, charts, everything. And the price for him was pretty big.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think you can judge a trade in hindsight by the end result, which is how the player played for you or the other team...you have to judge by who the players were at the time of the trade and the cost and whether the trade met the stated goal...by that measure Lovejoy-Despres was the worst with Sprong-Pettersson a close second...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Nah. I wanted Sunqqvist to work but he plateaued with the Pens and was passed by Rowney.

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nah. I wanted Sunqqvist to work but he plateaued with the Pens and was passed by Rowney.

Yeah, there was nothing Sundqvist did here that suggested he'd be more than a 4th line checker. It would be like bemoaning the Scott Wilson trade if Wilson ended up scoring 20 goals some day.

I don't think any of his trades have been overly bad. They may not have worked, but I don't think he's had any "Chiarelli trades Hall for Larsson and the pick that landed Barzal for Reinhart" bad. Where JR could be criticized is some of his recent FA signings either because they were bad (Johnson, Hunwick) or because they were unnecessary (Grant).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, there was nothing Sundqvist did here that suggested he'd be more than a 4th line checker. It would be like bemoaning the Scott Wilson trade if Wilson ended up scoring 20 goals some day.

I don't think any of his trades have been overly bad. They may not have worked, but I don't think he's had any "Chiarelli trades Hall for Larsson and the pick that landed Barzal for Reinhart" bad. Where JR could be criticized is some of his recent FA signings either because they were bad (Johnson, Hunwick) or because they were unnecessary (Grant).

I mean, he had a pretty good AHL season before we traded him.

I don’t know. The stage was set for him to have a solid camp and be our 4C for a long time.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No, the Reaves trade wasn't the worst, it was dumping him off after having him that was even worse. I'm not sure why we had to give up a first to get Reaves. But yeah, the whole series of trades was dumb. I mean I am ok with Reaves for Sundqvist, but the 1st...that just pissed me off.

We're literally using Garrett Wilson in that same way and Reaves is still better. Reaves was fine, he wasn't used correctly. Also, Oskar is still slow, he fits in the West. I bet if he played in the East, he wouldn't be producing as well.

But I want to point out that Teddy Blueger is likely better and we're jobbing the f*** out of him in WBS. If we are going to be mad about anything, it's the moronic usage of Teddy Blue. Kid absolutely deserved a shot even when we had Cullen and Brass out and Grant was hurt too.

PS: In that same game...

Oskar scored a goal and is on pace for 20 on his team.
There's another ex penguin that scored that is on pace for 29 goals with the games played in Anaheim only.

lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, he had a pretty good AHL season before we traded him.

I don’t know. The stage was set for him to have a solid camp and be our 4C for a long time.

There's some irony there, considering your views on Sprong.

Sundqvist never showed anything at the NHL level to suggest he'd be more than basically what Rowney was, regardless of what he did in the minors. You, of anyone, should realize that since you've pointed out Sprong producing so much in the AHL didn't mean it would translate at the NHL level.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sundqvist never showed anything at the NHL level to suggest he'd be more than basically what Rowney was, regardless of what he did in the minors. You, of anyone, should realize that since you've pointed out Sprong producing so much in the AHL didn't mean it would translate at the NHL level.

I’m just saying there was some upside. Also Rowney was 27 and Sundqvist was 22. It was just a stupid trade at our most needed position to get “heavy”.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Oskar is just not an impressive player by any stretch of the imagination, the other guy on the other hand, never spent nearly as much time developing as Oskar has and will be better. Good for Oskar though, dude is still not that fast and he works in the West.

Oddly enough, Olli belongs in the West as well and watch him be a solid top 4 in that conference.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m just saying there was some upside. Also Rowney was 27 and Sundqvist was 22. It was just a stupid trade at our most needed position to get “heavy”.

If you're going to bemoan that trade for one of the assets going the other way, you're better off being upset about downgrading the first for a 2nd (which they wasted on Lauzon). IMO, Sundqvist isn't the big deal of the two assets given up.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I didn't like the Brassard trade because i felt like they gave up too much in the goalie prospect and team chemistry with Cole. I always said they could've traded something else.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brassard trade is easily the worst in result. Until they trade Brass for a Cup piece this year of course.

Maybe you could argue the Reaves one was the worst in principle. But for the most part it was pretty inconsequential.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The longer JR waits, the worse that return for Brassard will be and JR should be on the hot seat for a lot of the shit this season and last with the coaching staff getting residual blame for their shit.

But giving up what he did, moving away a lot of the sand paper that made the Pens a pain in the ass to play against (Cole might not be a world beater, but the guy was a pain to play against, JJ was Rutherford's replacement for Cole, I think 99.9% of us would rather have Cole) this team still isn't the same from it. Losing Cole, Bones (FA), etc.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I don't remember all this hate when the Brassard trade was made ... are we talking about the trade per se or as it pan out? Because the worst trade for me was Despres for Lovejoy, but it worked out pretty good with Lovejoy having an important part in the 2016 Stanley Cup.

At the time of the trade having Brassard as 3c made the three-peat more then a dream, but Brassard never clicked and then the injury, but I hoped that a healthy Brassard in a contract year would light up this season ...

Last year Sundqvist couldn't even be a main stay in the St. Louis line up, I don't think that the Pens would had been patient with his development (see Sprong) and give him the time he needed. This team is in desperate win now mode, so it prefer safe player like Wilson than develop a Blueger.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right now I don't see how it's not Brassard. More expensive than most of the other bad trades and more damaging in terms of failing to fix team needs.

Also, as pointed out, Sundqvist was a 22 year old who'd spent the last year looking like a worse fit in our system than Carter Rowney and therefore being surpassed by Carter Rowney. Nothing was set for him to take our 4C job that season and its worth noting he didn't do that with St Louis that season either.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think all of the Perron trade, the Reaves trade and the Brassard trade are contenders in here, assuming you're looking at the trades in hindsight. If you're just looking at the trades at the time, the Despres trade is the worst followed by the Reaves trade. The Brassard and Perron trades weren't bad at the time, they just didn't work here.

I'd probably put a higher emphasis on the trades at the time than how they panned out (I don't think Brassard and Perron not panning out means the original trade was horrible), so I'd rank them:

1. Reaves trade
2. Despres trade
3. Perron trade
4. Brassard trade
5. Pouliot trade (because they got literally nothing for him and Pouliot can play everyday)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
5. Pouliot trade (because they got literally nothing for him and Pouliot can play everyday)

Pouliot would have been our 8th dmen (at best) if we'd kept him and would have either ended up in WBS or (much more likely) claimed on waivers for even more literally nothing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pouliot would have been our 8th dmen (at best) if we'd kept him and would have either ended up in WBS or (much more likely) claimed on waivers for even more literally nothing.

The telling thing about that being the #5 on that list is that JR has not made more than 4 bad trades as the Penguins GM.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The telling thing about that being the #5 on that list is that JR has not made more than 4 bad trades as the Penguins GM.

I guess - but I don't think it belongs on the list at all. Plenty of mistakes with Pouliot, but if there was one about trading him, it would be not trading him earlier.

But yeah, he's generally been pretty safe when trading... just as long as the 1st isn't involved. I'm going to superstitiously hope we don't trade our 1st this season as, Kessel aside, all of those trades seem to fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad