News Article: Oskar Lindblom's fall and rise

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Great job, Alexander. Only got to see Oskar at the WJC and it's pretty clear he has the skill, brains and strength to play well in the NHL.

Thank you very much for all your coverage this year.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Excellent article!

This 2014 draft has me really excited. Sanheim, NAK, Lindblom, Friedman... All have potential to be steals if things go well.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Good read. Please save a few for the slow period in the summer. It is going to be a long offseason.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another year in the SHL would be just fine, as long as he gets more PT. Should find a speed skating coach and work on that aspect of his game, but looks like a solid find - this is the kind of drafting they need to rebuild this franchise - you find stars with the top picks, but you need solid depth players out of your middle round picks instead of having to spend $2-3M on 2nd and 3rd line wingers, and 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen.

If he turns out to be a 20g, 40 point winger who plays responsible defense he'll be a steal where he was drafted.

For some reason he makes me think of Sharp, whose production has far exceeded expectations based on raw skills.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Nicely done Appleyard! I like the thorough summary approach which is helpful for folks like myself that have not been following Lindbolm. Keeps us up to date.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yes thank you very much Appleyard, great write up.
Oh I'm sure he will work to improve speed, other than that, high hockey iq,good defensively, good in corners, good net front presence, he sounds like at least a third liner, and more speed, first or second liner.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yes thank you very much Appleyard, great write up.
Oh I'm sure he will work to improve speed, other than that, high hockey iq,good defensively, good in corners, good net front presence, he sounds like at least a third liner, and more speed, first or second liner.

The thing that gets me slightly giddy (more than just thinking he is a well rounded, defensively responsible kid who could be a 3rd liner) is the flashes of brilliance you see from him offensively as well.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of pro level hockey player have hands good enough to occasionally wow.

But he made multiple plays this year vs men who for the most part have been playing in the third best league on earth for multiple years that were breathtakingly good.

The last game of the season vs Modo and the 2nd game of the play-in he dominated both games as a 3rd liner.

AntiqueFarflungGuernseycow.gif

WeirdEnergeticFlies.gif

http://gfycat.com/QueasyNextKentrosaurus# (this one would not let me use as a gif for some reason.)

His goal vs Djurgarden just after the WJC was also probably the best goal I saw a Brynas player score all season.

1:40-1:59 of these highlights:

http://www.brynas.se/shl-arena/39066/

Walked through 4 guys like they were not there.

There was more stuff like that in the season that never got on Brynas's highlight reels either.

A diving backhand pass to Brodecki that the later rang off the post after Lindblom had made a block in his own zone, stolen the puck from the player the rebound off him went to, went past a player at center, was brought down from behind and while sliding on his stomach put 20ft across the ice to the tape of Brodeckis stick was insane.

I mean, you see those glimpses from his that make you think if it comes together he could really be a 2nd line guy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I appreciate the article! I agree with a previous poster though - save some for the summer when I'll be scrounging everything for Flyers info!

We have 7 picks in the first 100, 10 overall. We'll have lots of youtube to scrub. :)

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Another year in the SHL would be just fine, as long as he gets more PT. Should find a speed skating coach and work on that aspect of his game, but looks like a solid find - this is the kind of drafting they need to rebuild this franchise - you find stars with the top picks, but you need solid depth players out of your middle round picks instead of having to spend $2-3M on 2nd and 3rd line wingers, and 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen.

If he turns out to be a 20g, 40 point winger who plays responsible defense he'll be a steal where he was drafted.

For some reason he makes me think of Sharp, whose production has far exceeded expectations based on raw skills.

Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg say hello. Detroit is / was the best at finding gems in the later rounds.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
The thing that gets me slightly giddy (more than just thinking he is a well rounded, defensively responsible kid who could be a 3rd liner) is the flashes of brilliance you see from him offensively as well.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of pro level hockey player have hands good enough to occasionally wow.

But he made multiple plays this year vs men who for the most part have been playing in the third best league on earth for multiple years that were breathtakingly good.

The last game of the season vs Modo and the 2nd game of the play-in he dominated both games as a 3rd liner.

AntiqueFarflungGuernseycow.gif

WeirdEnergeticFlies.gif

http://gfycat.com/QueasyNextKentrosaurus# (this one would not let me use as a gif for some reason.)

His goal vs Djurgarden just after the WJC was also probably the best goal I saw a Brynas player score all season.

1:40-1:59 of these highlights:

http://www.brynas.se/shl-arena/39066/

Walked through 4 guys like they were not there.

There was more stuff like that in the season that never got on Brynas's highlight reels either.

A diving backhand pass to Brodecki that the later rang off the post after Lindblom had made a block in his own zone, stolen the puck from the player the rebound off him went to, went past a player at center, was brought down from behind and while sliding on his stomach put 20ft across the ice to the tape of Brodeckis stick was insane.

I mean, you see those glimpses from his that make you think if it comes together he could really be a 2nd line guy.

Interesting to see how the opposition is always focused on the puck instead of marking their man. Hockey 101 to me.

doesn't Peter Forsberg own modo??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad