Oshawa Generals 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I can understand why they would make such a trade. Oshawa gave up many draft picks in their Memorial Cup run last season and need to acquire high draft picks to replace them. Petschenig had some value and they decided to trade him to get some high draft picks. Graves has lesser value, and was able to be acquired for a lower draft pick (the pick will likely be higher than the 15th round if he plays for them) and it still gives them a veteran defenceman. It is a smart move in my opinion, since Oshawa will be a rebuilding team this year.

Question for Gen fans:

Why would the team trade an overage D-man named Petschenig and then turn around and acquire an overage D-man named Graves?

Last edited:

core33

Feb 22, 2015
Bang on Pete's, needed the draft picks bad, move makes total sense. But very sad to see him not graduate as a Gen.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Essentially they replaced Petschenig with Graves, paid way less to acquire Graves then Saginaw did to obtain Petschenig. It works for the Generals because of their need for quality draft picks in the coming drafts, while the difference between Petschenig and Graves is minimal.

I know the OHL is about winning and such, and you have to make the deals best for the club, however it would have been nice to see Will stick around given his tenure with the team, especially know that they've brought in another OA defenseman to replace him.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Essentially they replaced Petschenig with Graves, paid way less to acquire Graves then Saginaw did to obtain Petschenig. It works for the Generals because of their need for quality draft picks in the coming drafts, while the difference between Petschenig and Graves is minimal.

I know the OHL is about winning and such, and you have to make the deals best for the club, however it would have been nice to see Will stick around given his tenure with the team, especially know that they've brought in another OA defenseman to replace him.
petschenig played 18.54 mins a game while Graves played only 9.26 mins

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
What I'm saying is they play similar styles, regardless of how the player was utilized by their coach last season. The game is played on the ice not on a sheet of paper, and the difference between Graves and Petschenig is minimal. Throw in the fact the Generals get a 2nd and 4th in 2016 for Petschenig as soon as he dresses for Saginaw and only give up a 5th in 2017 for Graves, its a win/win situation. They receive a player who is in a similar mold as a player they traded but at a much cheaper cost. Petschenig is slightly better then Graves as he can contribute more offensively and has slightly more mobility and slightly better puck skills, but the difference between the two is not astronomical.

HockeyHockeyHockey1

Jul 21, 2015
I have the Generals back end looking something like this,

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Templeton
Moor - Robertson
Stillman - Smereck
Kotsovos

Ideally Graves is not a top pairing defender, but more so a complementary D on the second pairing with a Desrocher. However his stay at home, physical type of defense will pair well with Vande Sompel and his offensive/sometimes risky play.

I know some are probably wondering why bring in an OA defender when Appleby, Mistele and Pedersen are considered the returning OA's. 1. Mistele is no lock to come back, not by a long shot, In reality its probably 50/50 at best. While his skating could use some work, he really has nothing left to prove in the OHL. I believe Pedersen, Appleby and Graves are OA's. 2. With such a young defense core guys like Robertson, Smereck, Moor, Stillman, Templeton are not guaranteed ice or even roster spots. I think bringin in a guy like Graves, whom you know to be a steady stay at home, veteran defender is a smart move by Hunt, with a lot of uncertainty on the blue line.

So that's the D, looks like goalies will be Appleby (until he is possibly traded) and Brodeur. How do you see the fwds shaping up?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The forward group is, to be polite, pretty skimpy. Not counting overagers, they only have 8 players signed so far:

DalColle (96) Manchurek (96) Cirelli (97)

Harding (97) Huether (97) Commisso (98)

Studnicka (99) MacLean (99)

To put it in perspective, only 4 of the 12 forwards that dressed in the last Memorial Cup game are still around. Camp will see a competitive battle for the remaining 6 openings for sure.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Gens 6th round pick Jaimen Allison has signed with the OJHL Mississauga Chargers. The D-man will get a ton of ice time to develop.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
As far as forwards go, I believe Generals 5th round pick in the most recent draft Sullivan Sparkes has a good shot at cracking the line up. Put up 48 goals and 40 assists for 84 points in 62 games with the Waterloo Wolves Minor Midget AAA team. I was really surprised Sparkes slipped to the Gens in the 5th round, he looked good in two playoff games with the GOJHL Waterloo Wolves as a call up.

On Jamieson, its most definitely ideal that he plays with the Chargers this season, but as we saw with Cirelli there is still a chance that despite signing with a Jr. A club he could make the Generals. Jamieson was a defender I was high on last season while scouting Minor Midget, he's going to open alot of eyes during training camp and the pre season.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
As far as forwards go, I believe Generals 5th round pick in the most recent draft Sullivan Sparkes has a good shot at cracking the line up. Put up 48 goals and 40 assists for 84 points in 62 games with the Waterloo Wolves Minor Midget AAA team. I was really surprised Sparkes slipped to the Gens in the 5th round, he looked good in two playoff games with the GOJHL Waterloo Wolves as a call up.

On Jamieson, its most definitely ideal that he plays with the Chargers this season, but as we saw with Cirelli there is still a chance that despite signing with a Jr. A club he could make the Generals. Jamieson was a defender I was high on last season while scouting Minor Midget, he's going to open alot of eyes during training camp and the pre season.

4 forward spots open, 1 possibly going to Mistele/Pedersen/Turner, Lofquist is a ? right now. Looking at some of the Gens prospects, it looks like if anyone will crack the team it will be some kids from the 98 group or a few walk on's. Whats the word on kids like Luke Keenan or Zachary Senecal?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

4 forward spots open, 1 possibly going to Mistele/Pedersen/Turner, Lofquist is a ? right now. Looking at some of the Gens prospects, it looks like if anyone will crack the team it will be some kids from the 98 group or a few walk on's. Whats the word on kids like Luke Keenan or Zachary Senecal?

Scratch that, 3 spots available. Lofquist commits to the Gens

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
TuckerFan1: The difference in our job number openings is you are trying to come up with 12 forwards and I'm going for 14 to allow for a couple of spares. No big deal.

Thanks for the Lofquist announcement, let's hope he's another Lindberg, no pressure. LOL.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011

What intrigues me is whether you think Mistele comes back as that's a big hole to fill if he doesn't.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Luke Keenan has a lacrosse scholarship to Princeton, I'm not 100% on if that includes him playing hockey there as well, but at this point he's headed to Princeton so I don't think will see him.

However should he opt to play hockey instead, he is capable of playing in the Generals bottom six next season and would have an impact.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
What intrigues me is whether you think Mistele comes back as that's a big hole to fill if he doesn't.

I'm at odds with the last OA spot. Obviously Mistele is the preferred choice since he provides a good deal of offense (which this team will need) and he brings a lot of energy, which is great to have when the team will be fairly young/new. To be fairly honest though, I wouldn't be upset if Pedersen was brought back too. The past couple of seasons, the Gens have played a real intimidating game of hockey. My concern is that this year, a lot of players will come into games against the Gens and see that they wont have to be held accountable by guys like Smith, Brown, McCarron, and Petschenig. Pedersen isn't the same size as those guys, but he is a tough player and would lessen the load that Graves will probably have to deal with. Will he put up points like Mistele? Probably not, but I would expect to see increased numbers from an OA forward who would likely play in the top 6.

Training camp can't come soon enough

HockeyHockeyHockey1

Jul 21, 2015
I'm at odds with the last OA spot. Obviously Mistele is the preferred choice since he provides a good deal of offense (which this team will need) and he brings a lot of energy, which is great to have when the team will be fairly young/new. To be fairly honest though, I wouldn't be upset if Pedersen was brought back too. The past couple of seasons, the Gens have played a real intimidating game of hockey. My concern is that this year, a lot of players will come into games against the Gens and see that they wont have to be held accountable by guys like Smith, Brown, McCarron, and Petschenig. Pedersen isn't the same size as those guys, but he is a tough player and would lessen the load that Graves will probably have to deal with. Will he put up points like Mistele? Probably not, but I would expect to see increased numbers from an OA forward who would likely play in the top 6.

Training camp can't come soon enough

When you say the last OA spot, do you see it as:
1. Appleby
2. Graves
3. Mistele/Pedersen

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Yup, barring anymore trades of course. I think we can keep 4 (?) OA's on the roster, but I don't think the Gens are in a position this season to be sitting veteran players,

Kind of... To start the season you can carry 4 overagers on the roster but only 3 can dress per game, there is a deadline for this though I believe it's by late November you must cut your OA's down to 3

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Here's my updated depth chart for the Gens. These are not lines, I am leaving out any OA for now and I'm expecting Dal Colle to return:

Dal Colle (96) Lofquist (96) Manchurek (96)

Cirelli (97) Harding (97) Huether (97)

Commisso (98) Studnicka (99) MacLean (99)

Sparkes (99)

So, about 4 more players need to be signed to allow for a couple of spares. A number of free agents at camp will have a legit chance to make the club.

HockeyHockeyHockey1

Jul 21, 2015
Here's my updated depth chart for the Gens. These are not lines, I am leaving out any OA for now and I'm expecting Dal Colle to return:

Dal Colle (96) Lofquist (96) Manchurek (96)

Cirelli (97) Harding (97) Huether (97)

Commisso (98) Studnicka (99) MacLean (99)

Sparkes (99)

So, about 4 more players need to be signed to allow for a couple of spares. A number of free agents at camp will have a legit chance to make the club.

Because these three 2015 draft picks have signed doesn't necessarily mean they will play this year with the club does it? Would the line up include three 16 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad