Oshawa Generals 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
HockeyHockeyHockey1, the signing doesn't necessarily mean the player will play in the OHL next season. However in the Generals case all three of their 16 year old signees should be with the club next season. Studnicka is their 1st rounder he's there for sure. McLean is an American born player who was headed to the NCAA, but chose Oshawa instead, so its unlikely they'd woo him into signing then not play him. An in Sparkes case he's talented enough to play a depth role and develop, and should contribute next season.

Here's my projected line up as we sit today,
Dal Colle - Cirelli - Studnicka
Lofquist - Harding - Pedersen
Manchurek - Commisso - Huether
McLean - ?? - Sparkes

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Moor
Templeton - Stillman
Robertson

Appleby
Broduer

*I know I'll get flack for a few things.. 1) Studnicka on the #1 line, 2) Graves as a top pairing defenseman and 3) Who my OA's are.

1. Studnicka has the ability to come in an be impactful right from the get go. I would argue if Studnicka played in the GTHL or OMHA last season an had more exposure he would have been a Top 10 pick. Also keep in mind Michael Dal Colle was given top 6 minutes as a rookie an thrived in the role, its not out of the realm of possibility that Studnicka is afforded the same opportunity.

2. In having Graves as a top pairing defender, I see the pairing more of a need to off-set Vande Sompel's lacking defensive play. Not knocking Vande Sompel, he is what he is defensively and he improved their significantly last season. However pairing him with a reliable, stay at home defender like Graves, allows him to make those calculated risks. It also allows Desrocher to play in a more offensive role on the 2nd pairing/1B pairing, rather then either play a stay home roll alongside Vande Sompel and it spreads out the talent more.

3. I've gone with Appleby, Pedersen and Graves as my OA's because well.. I still don't understand why most people think Mistele will be back.. he's a 20 year old NHL draft pick of a team with not a lot of prospect forward depth. Yes Manchester won the AHL title, but their forward core was mainly older journeymen AHL players or players who project to be third/fourth line grinders with the exception of Adrian Kempe and Jordan Weal (whom is expected to make the Kings next season or need to clear waivers). The knock on Mistele is his skating, but simply put his skating won't improve to the level it needs to be if he's playing in the OHL again, his skating will improve as he adjusts to the speed of the pro game. On Pedersen, fans may be disappointed with his offensive production last season, but none the less Pedersen was a keep cog in the Gens Memorial Cup run playing in a third line checking role, rather then the top six role he was playing in Kitchener. With consistent power play, penalty kill and 5 on 5 ice, expect Pedersen to have a big offensive year this season.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
HockeyHockeyHockey1, the signing doesn't necessarily mean the player will play in the OHL next season. However in the Generals case all three of their 16 year old signees should be with the club next season. Studnicka is their 1st rounder he's there for sure. McLean is an American born player who was headed to the NCAA, but chose Oshawa instead, so its unlikely they'd woo him into signing then not play him. An in Sparkes case he's talented enough to play a depth role and develop, and should contribute next season.

McLean - ?? - Sparkes

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Moor
Templeton - Stillman
Robertson

Appleby
Broduer

*I know I'll get flack for a few things.. 1) Studnicka on the #1 line, 2) Graves as a top pairing defenseman and 3) Who my OA's are.

1. Studnicka has the ability to come in an be impactful right from the get go. I would argue if Studnicka played in the GTHL or OMHA last season an had more exposure he would have been a Top 10 pick. Also keep in mind Michael Dal Colle was given top 6 minutes as a rookie an thrived in the role, its not out of the realm of possibility that Studnicka is afforded the same opportunity.

2. In having Graves as a top pairing defender, I see the pairing more of a need to off-set Vande Sompel's lacking defensive play. Not knocking Vande Sompel, he is what he is defensively and he improved their significantly last season. However pairing him with a reliable, stay at home defender like Graves, allows him to make those calculated risks. It also allows Desrocher to play in a more offensive role on the 2nd pairing/1B pairing, rather then either play a stay home roll alongside Vande Sompel and it spreads out the talent more.

3. I've gone with Appleby, Pedersen and Graves as my OA's because well.. I still don't understand why most people think Mistele will be back.. he's a 20 year old NHL draft pick of a team with not a lot of prospect forward depth. Yes Manchester won the AHL title, but their forward core was mainly older journeymen AHL players or players who project to be third/fourth line grinders with the exception of Adrian Kempe and Jordan Weal (whom is expected to make the Kings next season or need to clear waivers). The knock on Mistele is his skating, but simply put his skating won't improve to the level it needs to be if he's playing in the OHL again, his skating will improve as he adjusts to the speed of the pro game. On Pedersen, fans may be disappointed with his offensive production last season, but none the less Pedersen was a keep cog in the Gens Memorial Cup run playing in a third line checking role, rather then the top six role he was playing in Kitchener. With consistent power play, penalty kill and 5 on 5 ice, expect Pedersen to have a big offensive year this season.

Macker you don't see Jalen Smereck in this lineup? Why would they sign a 2013 pick and not consider this an option. Also another player to watch in camp will be Brock Welsh drafted last year. He has grown to just over 6 ft was rookie of the year for Orillia JR C and lead the team in scoring. He was said to have earned rolls in top key face off situations. Have you scouted this kid since his draft?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

McLean - ?? - Sparkes

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Moor
Templeton - Stillman
Robertson

Appleby
Broduer

Not far fetched at all. With 3 99's on the roster, I think it would be nuts to throw them all in the bottom 6. Like you said, MDC was given top line minutes in his first season, a year where their roster was already looking good without him. This time there's tons of room for guys to play up in the line up. I guess we'll see who makes a good impression on Jones.

Graves might not be a first line defender, but looking at our options. He's one of our only big defensive defensemen.

As for Mistele...Elite Prospects has him on the Gens roster for 2015/2016. Are they just placing him their for the time being? Pedersen isn't on any roster yet

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I know he might be a longshot in some peoples eyes but I think Anthony Kotsovas might crack the D group.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nerf, leaving Jalen Smereck out was on over site, he'll likely challenge for bottom pairing minutes. As for Kovotos he was also an over site, I keep forgetting the Generals traded for him. I to believe he has a chance to crack this roster, even if it's as a depth defender, he has OHL experience, although limited, and has that mean streak the Generals will be severely lacking with the graduation of many of their more physical players.

As for Mistele, pretty much every player going into their OA season is still listed on their teams roster. They will change it once he is committed to play some where, I wouldn't look to much into that. In Pedersen's case its probably just an oversight.. sites like eliteprospects are fantastic but they can be unreliable for upcoming season rosters, especially at the junior level.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

McLean - ?? - Sparkes

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Moor
Templeton - Stillman
Robertson

Appleby
Broduer

Not far fetched at all. With 3 99's on the roster, I think it would be nuts to throw them all in the bottom 6. Like you said, MDC was given top line minutes in his first season, a year where their roster was already looking good without him. This time there's tons of room for guys to play up in the line up. I guess we'll see who makes a good impression on Jones.

Graves might not be a first line defender, but looking at our options. He's one of our only big defensive defensemen.

As for Mistele...Elite Prospects has him on the Gens roster for 2015/2016. Are they just placing him their for the time being? Pedersen isn't on any roster yet

I don't wanna rain on any parade but Graves will not fill this role for you. He is a definite 6 or 7 dman with physical upside. In his time with the Majors/Steelheads he was a fighter and a player who took a lot of penalties. Just my two cents from seeing him play live/watching him around 100 times. Great teammate and guy who will step up but not a defensive rock out there.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It seems right-handed shooting D-men are at a premium. Last year the Gens had 9 D-men on their roster and only one shot right (Brown who graduated). Graves shoots right and Kotsovos, if he makes the team, also shoots right. I'm not sure what Moor is.

HockeyHockeyHockey1

Jul 21, 2015
It seems right-handed shooting D-men are at a premium. Last year the Gens had 9 D-men on their roster and only one shot right (Brown who graduated). Graves shoots right and Kotsovos, if he makes the team, also shoots right. I'm not sure what Moor is.

As per the picture of Moor in the teams commitment release on the website he is a righty

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Saw Macker tweet this earlier, so I figure ill share it here as well.... Gens import pick, Lukas Lofquist was invited to play for the Panthers in their rookie tournament. Former Captain Josh Brown will also be playing

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Training Camp info is out now

Wednesday, September 2nd

8:45am: Blue Practice

10:00am: White vs. Red

3:45pm: Red Practice

5:00pm: Blue vs. White

Thursday, September 3rd

8:45am: White Practice

10:00am: Red vs. Blue

4:14pm: Red vs. White

Friday, September 4th

12:00pm: Red vs. White

The scrimmages are all open to the public

darmitage

May 13, 2012
did someone post that Memorial Cup banners were going to get raised home opener? I just haven,t read anything about it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad