Oscars, Schmoscars: What Do You Think The Best Movies of 2022 Are

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With rare international exceptions, all the 2022 movies are showing somewhere by this point. The year being at its end, what do think were the best movies you saw this year or, spin it another way, what were your favourite movies this year. List as many or as few movies as you like. Commentary and debate always welcome.

Sep 19, 2008
probably gonna watch Decision to Leave (2022) today and see why everyone is upset about it being omitted

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know about movie but Mia Goth in Pearl was better than any performance I saw anywhere else.

with best movie…I’m fine with Everything Everywhere All at Once winning. I respect what they did here to a very high degree and it would be a great winner. The movie that affected me most this year was The Innocents. Can‘t shake that one.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Terrifier 2 :cool:
4D41D7AC-131A-408B-8EC1-0D411E3F2168.gif

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I had an uninteresting 2022 movie year in that a lot of my favorite movies align pretty close with some of the most revered movies of the year including multiple prominent Oscar nominees.

Even beyond the major awards isn't that interesting. I loved Glass Onion and Babylon (with some reservations), but the former is widely beloved and the latter is quickly developing a cult of defenders.

So I'll single out a trio of movies that I thought were pretty-damn-good to great that weren't among the award season favorites:

The Northman
Ambulance
Crimes of the Future

Reactions: OzzyFan

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Los Angeles Chargers at Jacksonville Jaguars, NFL Wild Card Round.

In all seriousness, I need to watch Aftersun as soon as I get back to Canada.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Best of 22

1) The Banshees of Inisherin, McDonagh, Ireland
2) Aftersun, Wells, UK
3) Decision to Leave, Park, South Korea
4) The Quiet Girl, Bairead, Ireland
5) Pacifiction, Serra, Spain
6) Hold Me Tight, Amalric, France
7) No Bears, J. Panahi, Iran
8) Hit the Road, P. Panahi, Iran
9) Return to Seoul, Chou, Cambodia
10) Everything Everywhere All at Once, Kwan and Scheinert, US

11) St Omer, Diop, France
12) Moonage Daydream, Morgen, UK
13) The Eternal Daughter, Hogg, UK
14) Women Talking, Polley, US
15) The Stranger, Wright, Australia
16) Armageddon Time, Gray, US
17) Close, Dhont, Belgium
18) Corsage, Kreutzer, Austria
19) Glass Onion, Johnson, US
20) Bardo, Inarritu, Mexico

Los Angeles Chargers at Jacksonville Jaguars, NFL Wild Card Round.
Nah. Alcaraz over Sinner, quarterfinal, US Open

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am surprised by the love for Everything Everywhere All at Once, in a good way. That movie came out at the beginning of the year, and it still sustained its momentum all the way to awards season, with all the nominations it received. That is impressive.

Even though I did like it and can see the merit of it, I am not the biggest fan of it, but I would not mind it win multiple awards.

What is the favourite of the different categories? I have not kept up with entertainment news, so I am completely in the dark.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Snubs:

Directors: Edward Berger - All Quiet on the Western Front, James Cameron - Avatar: The Way of Water

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Whale

Zeppo

Sep 8, 2006
If Hit the Road was 2022 then I guess that turns my top 5 into a top 6...
1. After Yang
2. Aftersun
3. The Quiet Girl
4. Blonde
5. Hit the Road
6. The Banshees of Inisherin

• Love
Reactions: kihei

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Best or Favorite, obviously I'd guess all lists are manipulated into favorite tinged. For generally the lesser, we can only go off what we've seen. Off my head:

The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Tar
Glass Onion
The Batman
Babylon

If I let me horror affection show, it would probably fill up the other part of the list with:

Barbarian
Men
Smile
Pearl
X
Prey
Mad God, just because of all around what it is.
Crimes of the Future/Nope/Orphan: First Kill might make it to based on my enjoyment level.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Best or Favorite, obviously I'd guess all lists are manipulated into favorite tinged. For generally the lesser, we can only go off what we've seen. Off my head:

The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Tar
Glass Onion
The Batman
Babylon

If I let me horror affection show, it would probably fill up the other part of the list with:

Barbarian
Men
Smile
Pearl
X
Prey
Mad God, just because of all around what it is.
Crimes of the Future/Nope/Orphan: First Kill might make it to based on my enjoyment level.
You may have set the record for one-word titles. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyFan

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don’t know about movie but Mia Goth in Pearl was better than any performance I saw anywhere else.

with best movie…I’m fine with Everything Everywhere All at Once winning. I respect what they did here to a very high degree and it would be a great winner. The movie that affected me most this year was The Innocents. Can‘t shake that one.

1. X
2. Pearl
3. The Banshees of Inisherin

Would you still recommend Pearl to someone who absolutely hated X?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Would you still recommend Pearl to someone who absolutely hated X?
I didn't "hate" X, but it didn't really work for me and I gave it a lukewarm 5/10, I believe. I liked Pearl much better and gave it a 7/10. I also thought that Mia Goth might get a nomination. I suspect that you'll like it better, but that might not be enough if you're not exaggerating about X.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad