Injury Report: Oscar Lindberg to miss 6 months

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
The better question is: When did this injury occur/become enough of an issue that he needed surgery?

Yea it would be nice to hear a little backstory or context for what happened here. Why not have the surgery right after they got eliminated so he could be back earlier next season?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yea it would be nice to hear a little backstory or context for what happened here. Why not have the surgery right after they got eliminated so he could be back earlier next season?

There might be reasoning to that as well.

Lots of stuff we don't know about this injury.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Pretty young guy to have this kind of injury.

Yeah, I am worried about that in consider his young age, but we are all different, and some have leg issues in relative young age.

sousuffer

May 3, 2007
Having recently torn the labrum in my shoulder playing goal (the injuries are similar, and neither of them can heal on their own), I can say that the initial recommended treatment regimen is conservative physical therapy for at least six weeks - they did this with Greg Bird of the Yankees also (and he didn't have the surgery until about six weeks after the end of the season). The PT tries to minimize the symptoms by strengthening the areas around the region so there is less movement in and out of the socket. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I would be able to still play through it - the pain is not really bad unless it is causing pressure point tenderness (it's more of a frustrating ache that worsens when the shoulder movement causes swelling - so I feel good when I wake up because it hasn't moved all night and the swelling isn't there). He probably was doing the PT at the end of the season (or the playoffs) and tried to give it a go last week and was not getting a whole lot of success (which, I've been told, is the case in 75% of patients who tear the labrum).

Oh yeah, one more thing - Cortizone can take away all the pain/discomfort (but is not a cure by any means) for a certain amount of time (mine lasted about 3 months before some discomfort returned - albeit it's not as bad as it was so I imagine the cortizone may still be helping). Lindberg may have been using the cortizone during the PT and finishing out the season and once the cortizone wore off, he probably indicated that his pain returned.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Having recently torn the labrum in my shoulder playing goal (the injuries are similar, and neither of them can heal on their own), I can say that the initial recommended treatment regimen is conservative physical therapy for at least six weeks - they did this with Greg Bird of the Yankees also (and he didn't have the surgery until about six weeks after the end of the season). The PT tries to minimize the symptoms by strengthening the areas around the region so there is less movement in and out of the socket. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I would be able to still play through it - the pain is not really bad unless it is causing pressure point tenderness (it's more of a frustrating ache that worsens when the shoulder movement causes swelling - so I feel good when I wake up because it hasn't moved all night and the swelling isn't there). He probably was doing the PT at the end of the season (or the playoffs) and tried to give it a go last week and was not getting a whole lot of success (which, I've been told, is the case in 75% of patients who tear the labrum).

Oh yeah, one more thing - Cortizone can take away all the pain/discomfort (but is not a cure by any means) for a certain amount of time (mine lasted about 3 months before some discomfort returned - albeit it's not as bad as it was so I imagine the cortizone may still be helping). Lindberg may have been using the cortizone during the PT and finishing out the season and once the cortizone wore off, he probably indicated that his pain returned.

Thanks for the info, very informative, makes sense now.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Who is to say that is why he was sat? If that was true I would have expected the surgery a month ago so he would be ready by the start of the season. There was never a peep about any type of injury he had and he was at all the practices. Was McI hurt also so that why he never played?

That's exactly the point. We don't know. There are lots of things that AV is privy to that we have no clue about. Injuries, practice performance, video work, personal/family issues, locker room issues. We don't see a 10th of what AV sees.

That's not to say that AV is right and everyone else is wrong, but given the success we have had since he has been here, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately there is little use in arguing over each decision that he makes. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Results are what matter. As long as the results are in line with expectations, AV will have a job here. This year the results fell short of expectations, but he's earned a mulligan I think. If that trend continues, then yes, we'll need to think about going in a different direction.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Have to sign a cheap 13th forward that can take a 4th line C spot for a month . Can hrvik play C?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Have to sign a cheap 13th forward that can take a 4th line C spot for a month . Can hrvik play C?

Yeah, he's played both wing and center in Hartford. Could always just bring Dom Moore back on a cheaper deal and move him at the deadline

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
That's exactly the point. We don't know. There are lots of things that AV is privy to that we have no clue about. Injuries, practice performance, video work, personal/family issues, locker room issues. We don't see a 10th of what AV sees.

That's not to say that AV is right and everyone else is wrong, but given the success we have had since he has been here, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately there is little use in arguing over each decision that he makes. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Results are what matter. As long as the results are in line with expectations, AV will have a job here. This year the results fell short of expectations, but he's earned a mulligan I think. If that trend continues, then yes, we'll need to think about going in a different direction.

Great post, and I wish more people thought of this reality when disparaging AV.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Great post, and I wish more people thought of this reality when disparaging AV.

None of that exonerates AV so why do you act like it does? Yea it's important to consider that stuff on a case by case basis. There may be good reasons why something seemingly nonsensical is done. But this MIGHT absolve him of one single decision. That's it. Inferring anymore than that is just you trying to once again put yourself over as the only guy who truly gets what's going on in hockey

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

We had very close to the same level of success under torterella. ECF appearance, damn near a presidents trophy. I don't recall us ever going for broke at the deadline with Torts the way we have under AV so arguably he's had a bigger advantage with the roster too and yet he barely advanced further then we did with Torterella. Same PP issues, same inability to adjust his scheme. Arguably even worse roster management and less accountability. Torts benched Richards. AV can't even bring himself to bench Glass.

Each guy has pros and cons but overall I'm not sure AV has done any better than Torts.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Fantastic post, I couldn't have said it better had I tried my hardest.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've always liked Lindberg and felt he was a very underrated prospect for us.

Here's hoping for a full recovery and a long career.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
We had very close to the same level of success under torterella. ECF appearance, damn near a presidents trophy. I don't recall us ever going for broke at the deadline with Torts the way we have under AV so arguably he's had a bigger advantage with the roster too and yet he barely advanced further then we did with Torterella. Same PP issues, same inability to adjust his scheme. Arguably even worse roster management and less accountability. Torts benched Richards. AV can't even bring himself to bench Glass.

Each guy has pros and cons but overall I'm not sure AV has done any better than Torts.

Tortorella:
Five years - missed playoffs once, lost first round twice, lost second round once, lost conference finals once

Vigneault:
Three years - lost first round once, lost conference finals once, lost Stanley Cup final once

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Tortorella:
Five years - missed playoffs once, lost first round twice, lost second round once, lost conference finals once

Vigneault:
Three years - lost first round once, lost conference finals once, lost Stanley Cup final once

I addressed this in the post you quoted so what's your point? To add to what I already said.
Sample size.
Different team construction.
"Not sure he's been overall better"

He may be but not by much even based on the results you just quoted

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I addressed this in the post you quoted so what's your point? To add to what I already said.
Sample size.
Different team construction.
"Not sure he's been overall better"

He may be but not by much even based on the results you just quoted

The sample size is fine based on the normal tenure of an NHL coach. If you want to wait a decade with one team to compare coaches you won't have many to compare.

Vigneault's record here is better than Torts you cannot argue that.

As far as team construction that's completely subjective. AV had some advantages but Torts had a younger and much better Girardi and Staal, Gaborik in one of his few healthy and productive years, the debate could go on and on.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The sample size is fine based on the normal tenure of an NHL coach. If you want to wait a decade with one team to compare coaches you won't have many to compare.

Vigneault's record here is better than Torts you cannot argue that.

As far as team construction that's completely subjective. AV had some advantages but Torts had a younger and much better Girardi and Staal, Gaborik in one of his few healthy and productive years, the debate could go on and on.

I said "sample size" as a nod to what you're saying about subjectiveness. There's a lot of subjectiveness and when the sample sizes are small and affected by sooo many different things who can say for sure? It is just my opinion of course so I'm not asserting it as truth. Heck I was right upfront about admitting (and repeating) that I was not sure how I felt about their comparison.

I definitely feel there's room to at least question just how much better AV really was. If the guy goes another 5 or 6 years with the team and gets us to another 2 SCF's or even ECF's with the team as bad as it is then I'd give it to him. But now that the team is badly constructed he achieved the same results Torts did. Early round ouster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00