Recalled/Assigned: Ortio to ABB

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Great. Irving 2.0
AHL star that can't stop a beach ball in the show.

Hardly.
Ortio should be in AHL. And now that he's gotten a taste he can work on it with the Heat (he and Berra should not be in the NHL right now). Irving was mismanaged so bad it's embarrassing.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Great. Irving 2.0
AHL star that can't stop a beach ball in the show.

1st off. Irving is still a good tender and has the potential to be something. 2nd, not even remotely close to being the same situation.

obv

Jan 25, 2014
Imaginationland
It might only do him good to get to play a bit more in the AHL and adjust, Im sure he will be back up sooner or later.
Cant really blame him for losing against NSH when both teams played ****** defense.
By the way Irving has not been that great overseas, Ortio is better than him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Best thing for him, he's got a taste, he faired quite well at times, now he needs lots of starts and wins to build off of. Overall I came away really impressed with him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It should be pointed out that according to the Flames' web team, Ortio had to be sent back because he was originally called up as an injury replacement for Ramo. So there really isn't any sort of message to read into in this move.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I really liked seeing ihm up. I think he was rivaling Ramo personally, and while there were some shaky moments, he definitely was good. Considering he hasn't quite played against the level of competition Ramo has or for nearly as long in that level, he was great. I definitely feel he is better than Irving was, and I think with this call up, Ortio has proven he is at least a capable backup in the NHL. He started for a month and didn't really look out of place too much.

I am fully down with the idea of a Ramo/Ortio tandem next year, and give them both a shot to a degree, but make it a bit of a ride the hot hand scenario, whoever plays best gets the most starts, let them compete. I don't think Ortio is very far behind Ramo, and I think there is more room for him to improve than with Ramo.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Tough to say what I think of him at this point given how few games he played. Sometimes he looked great, sometimes he looked pretty bad. He should be ready for backup duty next season though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Only consistent tick I noticed in Ortio's game was that sometimes he allowed goals in where he ended up with his pad in the net. I'm sure it's something that can be worked on in terms of leg strength, but the goal last night, the first goal he allowed (which was against Dustin Brown, I think) and a couple others, some part of his movement caused him to push his own leg backwards into the net. Anyone else notice that?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Best thing for him, he's got a taste, he faired quite well at times, now he needs lots of starts and wins to build off of. Overall I came away really impressed with him.

Well said. I think Ortio would suffer from having to be a back-up on the Flames squad right now. The Flames will lose more games than they win, so if Ortio gets the nod, it means Ramo was yanked and the Flames are playing like ****. Not a good atmosphere for Ortio, especially considering the opportunity he'll have in Abby being a big favorite to make a playoff run once they have a full roster

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I really liked seeing ihm up. I think he was rivaling Ramo personally, and while there were some shaky moments, he definitely was good. Considering he hasn't quite played against the level of competition Ramo has or for nearly as long in that level, he was great. I definitely feel he is better than Irving was, and I think with this call up, Ortio has proven he is at least a capable backup in the NHL. He started for a month and didn't really look out of place too much.

I am fully down with the idea of a Ramo/Ortio tandem next year, and give them both a shot to a degree, but make it a bit of a ride the hot hand scenario, whoever plays best gets the most starts, let them compete. I don't think Ortio is very far behind Ramo, and I think there is more room for him to improve than with Ramo.

I'm down with that too. Unless the Flames sign an unquestioning starter (ie, Miller), I think we have no choice but to play Ramo/Ortio. Because bringing in a pseudo-starter free agent tells Ramo they have no confidence in him, when in reality, he has shown some very promising potential and the best thing for him is support and confidence. IMO anyways

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Only consistent tick I noticed in Ortio's game was that sometimes he allowed goals in where he ended up with his pad in the net. I'm sure it's something that can be worked on in terms of leg strength, but the goal last night, the first goal he allowed (which was against Dustin Brown, I think) and a couple others, some part of his movement caused him to push his own leg backwards into the net. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah I've noticed strength and positioning in scrums (he gets out of position due to lack of strength) were two of the biggest issues I noticed.

Hopefully he's able to work with Hesketh on some core stability and overall leg strength stuff.

JulianHopper*

Should have sent Joey MacDonald back down. I'm not quite sure though what the conditions are regarding the goalies at this time in regards to sending them down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Should have sent Joey MacDonald back down. I'm not quite sure though what the conditions are regarding the goalies at this time in regards to sending them down.

Because Ortio was called up as an injury replacement, he was the one who had to be sent down when Ramo came back.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, he's better off playing starter minutes and leading the Heat to the playoffs then sitting on the bench in Calgary. He should be competing for the backup spot next season unless Burke or whoever the new GM is goes after another goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad