Proposal: Orpik to TO

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Colorado is gonna buy out orpik if they cant find a taker. they will have to pay him 3M cash, and have a 1.5M cap hit attached for the next 2 seasons.

Proposal:

Orpik (@3m) for 5th rd pick

leafs get a vet 3rd pairing dman at 3mil, and his deal expires just when they need to spend on matthews and marner. Avs save 500k in real cash, and get orpiks hit off their books after this season. They also get a pick to sweeten the deal

thoughts?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Colorado is gonna buy out orpik if they cant find a taker. they will have to pay him 3M cash, and have a 1.5M cap hit attached for the next 2 seasons.

Proposal:

Orpik (@3m) for 5th rd pick

leafs get a vet 3rd pairing dman at 3mil, and his deal expires just when they need to spend on matthews and marner. Avs save 500k in real cash, and get orpiks hit off their books after this season. They also get a pick to sweeten the deal

thoughts?
Thoughts?? Hell no....that's my thought.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like if any team would have actually been willing to take Orpik for anything above 50% retained, he would have been traded.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he's bought out and is currently a free agent. probably signs back with Washington unless leafs entice him with multi years and multi millions of dollars.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Considering Colorado bought him out I don't see why he wouldn't be able to?
Leafs and Tampa wanted to do this with Lecavalier a few years back.

Tampa was going to trade Lecavalier and the 3OA pick (used to select Drouin) to Toronto for a small return. Toronto was in turn going to buy out Lecavalier (who was owed a large amount of money at the time) and Tampa was going to sign him back.

The league rejected it and said it was cap circumvention.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Leafs and Tampa wanted to do this with Lecavalier a few years back.

Tampa was going to trade Lecavalier and the 3OA pick (used to select Drouin) to Toronto for a small return. Toronto was in turn going to buy out Lecavalier (who was owed a large amount of money at the time) and Tampa was going to sign him back.

The league rejected it and said it was cap circumvention.

Maybe, but MacLellan has said he wouldn't oppose bringing Orpik back at the right price.

So I guess it'll be up to the NHL to investigate and determine whether it's circumvention or not if that time comes.

From what I understand it isn't against the rules though, Colorado would have to be the team that waits.

Cup-winning Caps deal Orpik, Grubauer to Avs | CBC Sports

MacLellan also wouldn't rule out bringing back Orpik if the Avalanche buy him out.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
he was put on waivers. needs to clear before they can start buying him out. as of right now he isnt bought out

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Buyout trade between Lightning, Maple Leafs for Vincent Lecavalier reportedly nixed

Maybe this was different because it was a compliance buyout but nevertheless, there is a precedent of sorts that has been set.
i think it might be different this time around because when tampa wanted to do it, the trade was intended upon lecavalier returning to tampa bay. in this scenario, the trade's original intent wasn't for orpik to return to washington, rather it was to trade gruabuer and dump orpik in the process

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Don't think this is true but resident CBA expert @mouser could probably clear it up.

Orpik could re-sign with Washington even if Washington bought him out.

There’s no restriction on players re-signing with the same team if they’re bought out via Ordinary Course Buyouts. The only restrictions on re-signing a player is if they were bought out with the Compliance Buyouts—the limited version that has no cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad