Post-Game Talk: Orpik - not on ice for a goal, 1st time in 3 weeks! CONGRATS! Pens -2, CBJ-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
@pgshelly: After back-to-back games, #Penguins are not practicing today.

Their play this week has definitely earned them every single practice time off.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was surprised at how well the second line was clicking with BB out there with them. I thought this unit looked better than it did with Sutter there.

They were cycling the puck and making some things happen, which usually isn't the case when Malkin is out. It was refreshing to see that line look good without Malkin, no doubt. Beau's size helps a lot on the boards.

I don't think BB's success was based on adrenaline, as much as it was him playing his game. I remember DB benching him for making a move at the blueline early last season, and he essentially stopped trying to beat guys 1-1 at the blueline on out. Coming into this season, I said I was excited to see that aspect of his game return, and that hopefully DB would give him some leeway to be creative with the puck in 1-1 situations.

The move he made to draw the penalty was something he was shying away from last season (making a risky move up high). I don't know if it was because he was told to just play his game, or because he hasn't been systemized yet, after being out so long.

penguins2946*

Shero's drafting and college free agent signings are finally paying off. Megna, Gibbons, Despres, Maatta, Bennett, Bortuzzo and Vitale in the NHL, Archibald turning pro with WBS (and scoring his 1st pro goal last night), and Samuelsson and Harrington playing fantastic in the AHL. It's nice to see, especially after the terrible 06-08 drafts.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The thing that gets me about Scuds supporters is come play-off time he is going to light it up. All must agree that he is playing bad and is not an effective shut down D. For him to turn it around come playoff time is like saying Adams will start scoring in the playoffs. Right now SCUDS is the weakest Link in the Pens D. He needs to be put out to pasture.

The Big Dawg*

Shero's drafting and college free agent signings are finally paying off. Megna, Gibbons, Despres, Maatta, Bennett, Bortuzzo and Vitale in the NHL, Archibald turning pro with WBS (and scoring his 1st pro goal last night), and Samuelsson and Harrington playing fantastic in the AHL. It's nice to see, especially after the terrible 06-08 drafts.

Now if our idiot coach would give them a chance to play after they proved it they belong over Adams, Glass, Pyatt, Engellend.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This team is to weak on defense to win any cup. Bylsma if he was a very good coach can't make up for Orpik, Scuderi and Letang not close to 100%. I really don't know how Letang even comes back with no cap space. But clearly the Pens are just not close to the western teams defensively and Boston in the east. Hell even the Flyers look better as a unit. Bylsma simply can't go against Boston unless something changes as to who is making the calls behind the bench. My guess is the Western rep will have a coach who just abuses Bylsma. The exception is Sutter from the Kings.

This team is weak on defense because it has slowest and softest third and fourth line, they backed up in our zone, they cannot forecheck and keep the puck out, in a nutshell they allow the opposing weakness to feast on individual weaknesses of each of our d-man.

Also Bylsma 's d-pairing was short of disaster (its getting a little bit better), how many times he would roll out first and second line out there with Orpik and/or Scuds in the back to kill any kind of cycle or pressure.

Fire Shero*

Solid win. It was nice to not see fleury allow more than 1 goal.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Most of our defensive issues right now come from our two 25 minute/game all stars being out of the lineup, and others being pushed up. This D looks a lot different with Paul Martin out there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Letang-Scuds
Martin-Orpik
Niskanen-Engo

for the playoffs with Maatta being sprinkled in here and there. Book it.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This team is weak on defense because it has slowest and softest third and fourth line, they backed up in our zone, they cannot forecheck and keep the puck out, in a nutshell they allow the opposing weakness to feast on individual weaknesses of each of our d-man.

Also Bylsma 's d-pairing was short of disaster (its getting a little bit better), how many times he would roll out first and second line out there with Orpik and/or Scuds in the back to kill any kind of cycle or pressure.

Ding ding!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To vodeni's point... Look at how Gibbons did with his speed to secure an odd man rush for the jackets. That speed and tenacity can make a defense look incredible. Joe Vitale does a great job, too. I completely agree with vodeni's point.

But hey... Major props to Beau last night. First time I was happy in a long ass time with the Pens.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The thing that gets me about Scuds supporters is come play-off time he is going to light it up. All must agree that he is playing bad and is not an effective shut down D. For him to turn it around come playoff time is like saying Adams will start scoring in the playoffs. Right now SCUDS is the weakest Link in the Pens D. He needs to be put out to pasture.

Sounds familiar to the MAF supporters. If he can't do well now (against average competition), what makes us think he will do better against playoff competition?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm sure there's no shortage of people slobbering on Bennett after last night, but there's good reason for that. That was his best game in a Penguins uniform by far and he's had a lot of pretty good ones (well, relative the amount of games he played anyway).

Seemed like he was making a conscious effort to get his shot off quicker in traffic (which is something I've criticized him for in the past) and it almost paid off two or three times.

It also looks to me like he spent all that IR time working on core and leg strength. He was noticeably stronger coming into this season than he was last year, but nothing like what I saw last night.

Hats off to Beau. Now it's time to play like that for 70 or 80 games without missing 5 months at a time somewhere in there.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Letang-Scuds
Martin-Orpik
Niskanen-Engo

With Scuds and Orps in the lineup, Pens are eliminated in the first round. Not to say that Borts is the next Bobby Orr, but when have either Scuds or Orps came close to making his play to Bennett. .

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Letang-Scuds
Martin-Orpik
Niskanen-Engo

I think the best we could possibly hope for with Bylsma is (no Letang) but Despres and Borts in and Engo on 4L RW.

That's all that seems remotely plausible with DB.....

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pens could use some adversity heading into the playoffs. Going 10-0 in might be awesome for us fans, but it will blow up their egos a little too much like its done the past few years. The struggle is good if they can get healthy. No Letang, Martin, and Malkin for game 1 has me concerned.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Most of our defensive issues right now come from our two 25 minute/game all stars being out of the lineup, and others being pushed up. This D looks a lot different with Paul Martin out there.

Agree with this, Martin will make a huge difference, and he seems to help Orpiks game a lot as well. Could be a 2 birds with one stone kinda situation.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Pens could use some adversity heading into the playoffs. Going 10-0 in might be awesome for us fans, but it will blow up their egos a little too much like its done the past few years. The struggle is good if they can get healthy. No Letang, Martin, and Malkin for game 1 has me concerned.

I would agree with going in under the Radar stuff but this is under normal circumstances but Bylsma being head coach is even adversity the U.S. National Team couldn't overcome.:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad