Post-Game Talk: Orpik - not on ice for a goal, 1st time in 3 weeks! CONGRATS! Pens -2, CBJ-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObsessedCreative*

Isn't that strange? For a team that puts as much money, drafting and stress on defense they usually look sloppy. Throw in that they almost never look good when they can't come up the boards and it just really makes you wonder about how the Pens are built.

They are built in the vein of Dan Bylsma's brilliant "system"... They have wasted 5+ years of prime Malkin & Crosby, wasted 5+ years of draft picks! wasted 5+ years or trading & signing "get to our game" type of players, wasted 5+ years of using excuses for their failures, wasted 5+ years of signing players to stupid contracts because they're part of the "family"...

I can keep going on and on. It makes me sick to my stomach that Shero has been stupid enough to give Bylsma all these chance. Shero sealed his fate in my eyes when he yet again put all his faith into the stubborn, arrogant idiot who would rather play cutsie games like whiffle ball, and mustache boy rather that actually coach and do the right things it takes to win Stanley Cups. That is it. This franchise is cup or bust. There should be nothing ok with anything less.

There needs to be change and there needs to be change now. If Shero is that stupid yet again he needs to be tossed out on his ass as well.

Enough is enough and I am so unbelievably sick of it all!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They are built in the vein of Dan Bylsma's brilliant "system"... They have wasted 5+ years of prime Malkin & Crosby, wasted 5+ years of draft picks! wasted 5+ years or trading & signing "get to our game" type of players, wasted 5+ years of using excuses for their failures, wasted 5+ years of signing players to stupid contracts because they're part of the "family"...

I can keep going on and on. It makes me sick to my stomach that Shero has been stupid enough to give Bylsma all these chance. Shero sealed his fate in my eyes when he yet again put all his faith into the stubborn, arrogant idiot who would rather play cutsie games like whiffle ball, and mustache boy rather that actually coach and do the right things it takes to win Stanley Cups. That is it. This franchise is cup or bust. There should be nothing ok with anything less.

There needs to be change and there needs to be change now. If Shero is that stupid yet again he needs to be tossed out on his ass as well.

Enough is enough and I am so unbelievably sick of it all!

:snide:

I have to go back to what someone said about that one Islanders game...that game destroyed this team. Rattled the entire organization top to bottom. It was really after that game the team started to pusssy up.

This could be Bylsmas way of saying "our vets are tired and need rest for the playoffs". If that is the case...get rid of those vets and play the young guys. Sit Glass and Adams and put in Sill and Z. Too much "oh, it's okay buddy" **** going on and it kills the passion and urgency this team desperately needs. If you don't have it before the playoffs, you're toast. Games 1-3 is not the time to start getting into the groove.

Game 1 last year we walked through the Islanders and everyone (meaning the players) thought it was going to be a formality...a cake walk...then they got a rude awakening. Then it was time to play catch up.

If that is the way the team operates we are doomed to fail. Actually...we've been doomed for a long time. The long change is delayed, the worse it will get. I suggest going to what I talked about in the other thread:

Kunitz-Crosby-O'Reilly
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Kassian-Kesler-Dupuis
Sill-Goc-Vitale

Martin-Despres
Maatta-Niskanen
Bortuzzo-Scuds

Fleury
Zatkoff

Then a coaching change and a systems change. With those forwards and a responsible system that doesn't promote NORTH NORTH ZOMG NORTH!!!, we could be quite the defensive team. The offense, again with those forwards, will take care of itself. Not only that, but there's depth beyond all belief.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Pens could use some adversity heading into the playoffs. Going 10-0 in might be awesome for us fans, but it will blow up their egos a little too much like its done the past few years. The struggle is good if they can get healthy. No Letang, Martin, and Malkin for game 1 has me concerned.

It's getting a bit late for that. It takes 5-10 games to get into form. We're not in form. If it doesn't pick up immediately we're stumbling into the playoffs, re-introducing x's and o's that should have been automatic months ago.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I have to go back to what someone said about that one Islanders game...that game destroyed this team. Rattled the entire organization top to bottom. It was really after that game the team started to pusssy up.

This could be Bylsmas way of saying "our vets are tired and need rest for the playoffs". If that is the case...get rid of those vets and play the young guys. Sit Glass and Adams and put in Sill and Z. Too much "oh, it's okay buddy" **** going on and it kills the passion and urgency this team desperately needs. If you don't have it before the playoffs, you're toast. Games 1-3 is not the time to start getting into the groove.

Game 1 last year we walked through the Islanders and everyone (meaning the players) thought it was going to be a formality...a cake walk...then they got a rude awakening. Then it was time to play catch up.

If that is the way the team operates we are doomed to fail. Actually...we've been doomed for a long time. The long change is delayed, the worse it will get. I suggest going to what I talked about in the other thread:

Kunitz-Crosby-O'Reilly
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Kassian-Kesler-Dupuis
Sill-Goc-Vitale

Martin-Despres
Maatta-Niskanen
Bortuzzo-Scuds

Fleury
Zatkoff

Then a coaching change and a systems change. With those forwards and a responsible system that doesn't promote NORTH NORTH ZOMG NORTH!!!, we could be quite the defensive team. The offense, again with those forwards, will take care of itself. Not only that, but there's depth beyond all belief.

What they should have done, instead of making a weak team they should have made a FAST team. Hit when you have to, but Flyers/Bruins wont be our style. Fast and tenacious will be our style. How would you beat the Bruins? SPEED! they almost lost to Leafs because of speed. That's how you beat the best team in the East, now get a coach and the players for such system and we should not struggle with Boston like we do. We should also be disiplined. If Pens were built this way, Bruins would struggle to US! because the speed and the players we have.

baskin

Nov 10, 2012
What they should have done, instead of making a weak team they should have made a FAST team. Hit when you have to, but Flyers/Bruins wont be our style. Fast and tenacious will be our style. How would you beat the Bruins? SPEED! they almost lost to Leafs because of speed. That's how you beat the best team in the East, now get a coach and the players for such system and we should not struggle with Boston like we do. We should also be disiplined. If Pens were built this way, Bruins would struggle to US! because the speed and the players we have.

I agree, I also think we have the personal now to play such a style we just choose not to

ObsessedCreative*

Well we have Pyatt, Adams, Glass, Scudz, what more could you ask for?!!? :laugh:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Well we have Pyatt, Adams, Glass, Scudz, what more could you ask for?!!? :laugh:

You are so right, speed and more speed would beat the Bruins. Yes, with Gibbons, Harry Z, Megna , Vitale, and Sill in the lineup , Charra would have to add 5 feet to his stick and still could catch these speed demons. Scuds would have to sit and watch since he cant catch no one.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I feel conflicted. On one hand, I never want to blame injuries, it seems like such an excuse. On the other hand, it's objective fact that the pens have lost a **** ton of man games to injuries each of the past few years, and it's usually our top players as well. At some point you have to admit it's a reason.

You don't blame injuries, you get better depth and keep the hungry guys playing hungry. Instead we keep the hungry guys not playing much (except Maatta) and keep the crappy comfortable guys and TERRIBLE depth, worse in NHL depth. If there is constantly mega injuries year after year it's not a fluke, we just have an injury prone team and perhaps core. It is what it is, but hey we are 2nd in the conference and should finish with around 106 points. But mostly because we have the 2 best players in the NHL on our team, not from coaching (i mean lack of it).

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Not saying its the only reason they've underperformed over the last few years but injuries are a part of the reason. If Toews, Kane, and Keith all missed the same amount of time as Malkin, Crosby, and Letang they probably only have 1 cup as well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel conflicted. On one hand, I never want to blame injuries, it seems like such an excuse. On the other hand, it's objective fact that the pens have lost a **** ton of man games to injuries each of the past few years, and it's usually our top players as well. At some point you have to admit it's a reason.

Not saying its the only reason they've underperformed over the last few years but injuries are a part of the reason. If Toews, Kane, and Keith all missed the same amount of time as Malkin, Crosby, and Letang they probably only have 1 cup as well.

You can use injuries as an excuse for the Tampa series. That's fair. But against Boston and Philly? Absolutely not. We were healthy and we got embarrassed. Injuries are a part of why we have a few less wins in the regular season. Injuries have nothing to do with the overarching problems that plague this team. Injuries aren't why Craig Adams has a permanent spot on the ice. Injuries aren't what kept Dupuis glued to Sid's hip last year. Injuries aren't why Disco put Iginla in damn near the worst spot for him to succeed in the entire line-up. Injuries aren't why we can't keep our **** together against Philly.

If anything, injuries have shown that our depth isn't actually all that terrible, we just refuse to use it properly. Megna, Gibbons, Sill, Zolnierczyk, Despres and Bortuzzo are all better than guys who play on a nightly basis; but guys like Adams, Glass, Pyatt, Orpik and Scuderi will not be touched to make room for them. Not only would those swaps make us a better team on the ice, they would have saved us significant cap space. We've also seen that Conner, Ebbett, Samuelsson and Dumoulin at least can handle call-up assignments. We could have had a better roster while still having some solid enough call-ups even if we trimmed the fat from the line-up.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
You can use injuries as an excuse for the Tampa series. That's fair. But against Boston and Philly? Absolutely not. We were healthy and we got embarrassed. Injuries are a part of why we have a few less wins in the regular season. Injuries have nothing to do with the overarching problems that plague this team. Injuries aren't why Craig Adams has a permanent spot on the ice. Injuries aren't what kept Dupuis glued to Sid's hip last year. Injuries aren't why Disco put Iginla in damn near the worst spot for him to succeed in the entire line-up. Injuries aren't why we can't keep our **** together against Philly.

If anything, injuries have shown that our depth isn't actually all that terrible, we just refuse to use it properly. Megna, Gibbons, Sill, Zolnierczyk, Despres and Bortuzzo are all better than guys who play on a nightly basis; but guys like Adams, Glass, Pyatt, Orpik and Scuderi will not be touched to make room for them. Not only would those swaps make us a better team on the ice, they would have saved us significant cap space. We've also seen that Conner, Ebbett, Samuelsson and Dumoulin at least can handle call-up assignments. We could have had a better roster while still having some solid enough call-ups even if we trimmed the fat from the line-up.

Yeah, solving our issues is really a two step process. Trimming the fat is almost as necessary as finding a new coach. Fixing the coaching issue might fix the fat issue though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, solving our issues is really a two step process. Trimming the fat is almost as necessary as finding a new coach. Fixing the coaching issue might fix the fat issue though.

one would have to think. At least some of it. Changing the coaches might not fix it immediately, but I know its not getting fixed without a coaching change.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't buy the injury excuse because the team played a better, more structured game at the height of the injuries. The veterans on this team are the problem. It was speculation and guess work and bias and wishful thinking for a long time, but that 3-week stretch in December was really empirical evidence.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't buy the injury excuse because the team played a better, more structured game at the height of the injuries. The veterans on this team are the problem. It was speculation and guess work and bias and wishful thinking for a long time, but that 3-week stretch in December was really empirical evidence.

Today's the last game right? You still sicking to your guns?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Today's the last game right? You still sicking to your guns?

I never said he'd be fired on Monday. That is not and never what I said. So yes, I'm sticking to my guns, because what I said was 100% true, but I never said he was going to be fired tomorrow.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I never said he'd be fired on Monday. That is not and never what I said. So yes, I'm sticking to my guns, because what I said was 100% true, but I never said he was going to be fired tomorrow.

Just that this will go a long way in determining his future?

Fire Shero*

Kunitz-Crosby-O'Reilly
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Kassian-Kesler-Dupuis
Sill-Goc-Vitale

Martin-Despres
Maatta-Niskanen
Bortuzzo-Scuds

Fleury
Zatkoff

I'm pretty sure it's too late to trade Letang. That SHOULD have happened last summer. Now he just had a stroke, what team would possibly trade for him now? We are likely stuck with him.

Shero is neutered and way too risk-adverse to make any significant changes. He's ruined this team.

We can blame this or that, but it's all moot until Shero and disco are long gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Agreed. We obviously lose talent when guys like Neal, Geno, Martin and Kunitz are out. But when Orpik, Scuderi, Glass, Kobasew or Pyatt are out, we are a better hockey team. A lot of these injuries have straight up helped our team.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

What did you say? I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to read through all the threads the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad