TV: Orphan Black - BBC America's New Series

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just curious, is anyone watching this show? The Critics have been raving, and I decided to see the first episode a few nights ago, and saw the second episode tonight. I really do like the premise of this show, and the lead actress is really attractive. I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes as the first season rolls on. So many twists leading to a greater mystery and tonight's episode was really really great, building on those many twists from the previous week.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I'll be checking it out. I missed the first two episodes but luckily it's free on demand so I'll be checking it out later.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I checked out the pilot last night and I liked it. I'll be watching the second episode later this week since it's not on demand yet.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
It is where I live. I watched it and enjoyed it.

It wasn't when i posted that but it popped up late on Tuesday as being available. The only problem was when I went to watch it around midnight Verizon's VOD service was undergoing maintenance in the area so I couldn't watch it. I'll be watching it tonight.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It's the same actress. She is changing hair, voice, gait, etc for each character. She talked about how hard but fun she was having doing that when she was on the Nerdist.

I know it's the same actress. I was acting foolish. Guess I did a pretty good job of it.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
They seem be tacking on the clone stuff just at then end of the episode. The previews for tonight's episode seems like it will get more into the clone stuff. Also fwiw:

Orphan Black - Packaging Pictures, Extras for 'Season 1' on DVD and Blu-ray
Available in mid-July

Last week BBC Home Entertainment announced that Orphan Black - Season 1 is coming to DVD and Blu-ray Disc on July 16th. We've now learned that the special features on both versions of this title will include Character Profiles, a Behind the Scenes featurette, and a Set Tour. Plus there are English subtitles as well. Here's the packaging:

OrphanBlack_S1_BLU.jpg

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Last week I was amazed at how much they've been revealing, but this week it seems like the show is moving at fast forward. I still love the pacing, but I wonder if things are moving too fast. I mean we have the crime scene, meet the killer, the killer turns out to be one of the clones, and a pretty creepy one at that, and now Sarah realizes she can't get out of this.

One of the things I'm loving about this show is Maslany's subtle acting and just the subtlities in general. That scene at the beginning between Cosima, Alison, and Sarah was probably the best scene in the episode, and Maslany has given each clone a unique style. You've got the geeky one, the vigilant one (Sarah), and the protector (Alison). Each one is different but fun all the same. As for the killer, like I said, she was freaking creepy. Looking forward to next week to find out more about her.

This was also the episode where I really got to like Felix. In the previous episodes, he was just "There", but he shined here, especially when he was taking care of the kids. He's providing comic relief, which is a good balance to the seriousness of the rest of the show.

Right now, this is probably my favorite Drama (With Parks and Rec being my favorite comedy).

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Last night's episode was pretty good. I wonder if the attacker is the original or a clone gone bad. I guessing it's a clone gone bad .

Knighthammer

Feb 12, 2012
Started watching at EP2 and was a little confused on what was going on, but I still got hooked and really enjoyed EP3. Was hoping the first episode was on Rogers OnDemand but no such luck. :(

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe it was inevitable that there would be a religious element to this show, but I really hope they keep it to a minimum. Don't get me wrong, tonight's episode was great, again, but I've already seen a show that had strong religious ties and didn't think they handled that as well as they could have (Battlestar Galactica) and was hoping this show would kind of remain secular. I guess if they handle the religious aspect well, it could work, but the two shows I've seen that have this aspect (The other one being Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) leaves a lot to be desired.

I am glad though that Sarah quit the force. It's time to move on from impersonating Beth and get going with the bigger picture. Next week looks really good too, even if it is a little predictable that Allison impersonating Sarah would lead to complications.

Great episode though.

Last edited:

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
What did Helena say to Sarah as she climbed out the window? I didn't catch that.

IIRC she said something along the lines of "you felt it didn't you?"

As for the episode it was pretty good although I've got a feeling that mystery man in the van is going to turn out to be a clone of Felix. I also I think they'll be a reason why the mom got both Sarah and Felix out of Britain for a reason. Sort of like she's in on the whole clone thing.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Here's a fun little blog article ranting about the shows apparent insecurity to admit it's Canadian. Funny in a sad but true kind of way.

http://pulpanddagger.com/blog/2013/04/05/orphan-black-the-good-the-bad-and-the-canadian/

.......Orphan Black has been getting reviews saying it’s entertaining, it’s slick, it’s world class. Apparently it premiered to top drawer ratings! As such, it could be kicking down doors for Canadian entertainment and Canadian culture. Defiantly saying to the world “We’re Canadian…deal with it motherf*****s!.......

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Even though it was still a good episode, I thought it was the weakest overall so far. Layers upon layers keep on building and I'm wondering if the show is getting too big for it's own good. Do we really need to see Victor again, because all of his scenes detracted from the episode, other than him being beat up by Allison. I did like that we got more Paul development though, as well as the notion of monitors for the clones, even though I wonder if they are setting up for Felix to be part of this whole conspiracy, as Lost Horizons pointed out last week. I hope not, as I would love for Felix to just be a "friend" and not some double agent.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad