Orlov or Voynov?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Orlov, because he has much more potential.

I think Voinov will eventually be a solid NHLer.......solid but unspectacular.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
What are you talking about? Voynov is one of the best dman in the entire AHL....

I think you take Voynov easily....

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
I'd love to hear some reasoning from people that have seen both play on this comparison. Their scouting reports, accomplishments, and career paths look eerily similar.

Both were considered first-round talents in their respective draft years but fell to the second round due to the "Russian" concern.
Both are considered highly skilled offensive defensemen, but have a physical side to their game despite being smaller players.
Both cracked RSL teams at age 16.
Both turned in strong performances at the WJCs.

Only differences as far as I can tell are...
- Orlov stayed in the KHL an additional year and a half, Voinov moved to the AHL as an 18-yr old.
- Orlov won a gold at U20 WJC, Voinov had to settle for bronze twice (once as a 16-yr old).
- Voinov's defensive game was considered more polished at draft time (but is currently still considered his weakness)
- Voinov was already getting regular minutes with Traktor by the end of his first year in the RSL. Orlov not until his third year with Metallurg.
- Orlov seems to have stronger leadership qualities, having been named alternate captain of the Russian team a couple times.

Voinov is currently leading the AHL in defenseman scoring as a 20-yr old. At the moment that's the high watermark between the two players, at least on paper, so I would take Voinov. It's something that Orlov would have to meet or top before I would change my mind.

Anyone that's actually seen both play care to chime in?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'd love to hear some reasoning from people that have seen both play on this comparison. Their scouting reports, accomplishments, and career paths look eerily similar.

Both were considered first-round talents in their respective draft years but fell to the second round due to the "Russian" concern.
Both are considered highly skilled offensive defensemen, but have a physical side to their game despite being smaller players.
Both cracked RSL teams at age 16.
Both turned in strong performances at the WJCs.

Only differences as far as I can tell are...
- Orlov stayed in the KHL an additional year and a half, Voinov moved to the AHL as an 18-yr old.
- Orlov won a gold at U20 WJC, Voinov had to settle for bronze twice (once as a 16-yr old).
- Voinov's defensive game was considered more polished at draft time (but is currently still considered his weakness)
- Voinov was already getting regular minutes with Traktor by the end of his first year in the RSL. Orlov not until his third year with Metallurg.
- Orlov seems to have stronger leadership qualities, having been named alternate captain of the Russian team a couple times.

Voinov is currently leading the AHL in defenseman scoring as a 20-yr old. At the moment that's the high watermark between the two players, at least on paper, so I would take Voinov. It's something that Orlov would have to meet or top before I would change my mind.

Am I missing something, because theahl.com is telling me that's Marc-Andre Gragnani with about 13 more points than Voynov has.

I'd take Orlov, I think. He looks like a more dangerous North American game defenseman, especially after last year's WJC's, and his stint in Hershey.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Am I missing something, because theahl.com is telling me that's Marc-Andre Gragnani with about 13 more points than Voynov has.

I'd take Orlov, I think. He looks like a more dangerous North American game defenseman, especially after last year's WJC's, and his stint in Hershey.

Aha, you are right. Last time I checked on stats in the AHL was over a month ago.

In any case, the question still stands: what does Orlov have over Voinov? Voinov was awesome in his two years in the WJCs and has been great in Manchester as well. Their playing styles seem similar, and Voinov seems like he was more advanced on the defensive side of the game at the same age. I would think that Orlov would have to be amongst the leaders in AHL defenseman scoring next season just to match what Voinov's done. Is there something I'm missing?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Hard to judge here. I think Voinov is the safest choice. Orlov I think he's a star-or-nothing player due to his defensive liabilities, while Voinov has showed already that he can play well in North America. They also have different offensive abilities. Both are good young players and hopefully they'll can step up instead of Gonchar and other veterans for our national team.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Hard to judge here. I think Voinov is the safest choice. Orlov I think he's a star-or-nothing player due to his defensive liabilities, while Voinov has showed already that he can play well in North America. They also have different offensive abilities. Both are good young players and hopefully they'll can step up instead of Gonchar and other veterans for our national team.

Agree.

I'd say Orlov plays a little more physical, more power in his skating, probably got the harder shot,
Voinov, who I haven't seen play this year, always convinced me with his smooth and fast skating, soft hands and smarts, tries to give a solid allround effort and not overplay his skills.

You could add Chudinov as well, about same age and talent as those two, quite comparable stylewise.

after many years of very poor development of D, Russia finally is growing some promising prospects in the recent years. Non of them is elite (yet), but a few have the potential to pan out just a notch below. so when it's all said and done and we look back at there careers, out of a pool of 89-92 borns, who will have had the most successful?

guys like

Goncharov (really had better hopes for him statwise this season)
Voinov
Chudinov
Kulikov
Orlov
Marchenko

Oroku Saki*

I was really hoping Lou could snag either of them at the trade deadline. I'd love to have both of them on my team.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Agree.

I'd say Orlov plays a little more physical, more power in his skating, probably got the harder shot,
Voinov, who I haven't seen play this year, always convinced me with his smooth and fast skating, soft hands and smarts, tries to give a solid allround effort and not overplay his skills.

You could add Chudinov as well, about same age and talent as those two, quite comparable stylewise.

after many years of very poor development of D, Russia finally is growing some promising prospects in the recent years. Non of them is elite (yet), but a few have the potential to pan out just a notch below. so when it's all said and done and we look back at there careers, out of a pool of 89-92 borns, who will have had the most successful?

guys like

Goncharov (really had better hopes for him statwise this season)
Voinov
Chudinov
Kulikov
Orlov
Marchenko

I hope you're right. All of those guys are talented, but still need work.

Zaytsev is another talented guy in that group.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Come on, Zaitsev - with all the due respect - can just bring pucks to Kulikov and other players.

Duga, I agree with your post, although I put Chudinov a little bit lower than Orlov/Voinov. Chudinov lacks size and has great success this year due to the trust of his coach and massive ice-time. In America - at least initially - he wouldn't get so much ice-time, especially on the powerplay, and while Orlov and especially Voinov have other weapons to save their life (Orlov can play physically and Voinov is gifted with great skating and smooth hands), I don't see Chudinov making a career in North America if he doesn't get a good amount of ice time as he isn't good enough in defense to play much five-on-five hockey on the small ice in pro leagues (IMHO)

EDIT: Marchenko rules

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
ey Alessandro,

About Chudinov I normally have to judge young russian players mainly on what I see on u-20 or 18 NT. From this season I only know his stats.

He isn't tall but looked quite strong physically on WJC-Level, he laid out some big hits, I remember him having solid hands and a hard shot, giving always a good effort, wants to be a leader, still a bit raw, sometimes a bit wild and therefore losing proper positioning.

Acctually when I saw Orlov play first time, he reminded me a lot of Chudinov, a bit better hands and all-around offensive potential, but similar body and playingstyle. What's Orlovs official size nowadays? Has he added some inches?

What I've seen of Zaitsev on NT hasn't impressed me at all as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad