Tribute Orlov appreciation thread

Jun 15, 2007
I’m wearing one of my Orlov jerseys today (all day) in tribute. It’s the road white 9. I thought about the red 81, but I wanted it to be more on point (and SC Proud).

I will miss Orlov. But *hopefully* only for a few months and we can bring him back.

PS - Tex would be beside himself. He loved Orlov. We used to PM about him.

That's interesting that he loved Orlov, never got that impression. Whenever someone would suggest we give Carlson some time off pp1 and put Orlov there, he would insist it would never work. rip tex

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That's interesting that he loved Orlov, never got that impression. Whenever someone would suggest we give Carlson some time off pp1 and put Orlov there, he would insist it would never work. rip tex
Tex was a “play the correct side” dude. So Orlov in Carlsons spot didn’t work bc handedness.

As we all have discussed on here, Orlov would have made a lot more money had he played PP 1, and gathered all the point that came from it.

But he and Ovi were same handedness. So it couldn’t really work.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I’m wearing one of my Orlov jerseys today (all day) in tribute. It’s the road white 9. I thought about the red 81, but I wanted it to be more on point (and SC Proud).

I will miss Orlov. But *hopefully* only for a few months and we can bring him back.

PS - Tex would be beside himself. He loved Orlov. We used to PM about him.
I defended Orlov to him the year after they won the Cup, glad he came around

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Man it sucks… he could have easily been a lifer.

He’s gonna keep shining on a team that has some other good defenseman. He was just leaned on way too much this year and it started to show

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Man it sucks… he could have easily been a lifer.

He’s gonna keep shining on a team that has some other good defenseman. He was just leaned on way too much this year and it started to show
Not to mention, minimal PP and PK time, always eating the hardest minutes, without getting deployed in offensively advantageous situations with enough leeway a lot of the time to push forward. Was surely a trooper in his role here for sure and loved the team and city. I have a bad feeling Boston will move around a couple of pieces to keep him long-term, he is way, way too perfect there.

Also, talk about an embarrassment of riches……THREE #1D.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Part of me is glad that he went to the Bruins. He's always been one of the bigger "what if" players on the caps since he never got the PP opportunity he deserved because he shot left instead of right. They also switched him from playing the right side as he did in juniors to the left trying to make him more solid defensively I guess but losing some of the offense he came up with like that filthy one timer on the B's second goal. On top of a bunch of other coaching aspects wrt to Orlov I found disagreeable, plus who can forget the infamous Hershey to DC daily commute wringer that tool McPhee put him through. Would have preferred for them to circle back to Orlov in the offseason with a fair but rewarding retirement deal year deal over replacing him with Sandin for the 1st rounder but won't mind seeing him on a different team (probably couple since I don't see him staying with the Bruins) utilized differenty. One of the few players that when he gets going puts up highlights that stand the test of time, like the Downie and Duchene flips and that sneaky Avs goal where no one knew where the puck was

The idea that he couldn't handle PK duty while Jeff Schultz and an endless train of other pylons from over the years who barely knew which end of the stick is supposed to touch the ice could was always my one of my favorite memes.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I love him but his next contract was always going to make him paid more than what he would be for our team.
By that I mean:
- Carlson is PP1
- Orlov is LH which doesnt work for Ovi

7m means you have to be PP1 so its just unfortunate. Best of luck fella.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023

Also reminds me of how Orlov and (healthy) Kempny could never in a million years handle PK, a role sophisticated enough only for the Jeff Schultzes and John Erskines of the game

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Man I’m rooting for the Bs. All Orlov did in a Washington uniform was bring it every night. He deserves another Cup.
Bruins Fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say......I love this guy after 2 games. He is such a smart player who sees the ice so very good. I can tell he is steps ahead of opposing players and teammates. Love his cannon of a shot , and he seems to be a awesome team player. I hope you don't get him back this summer , if you do , I want to say thank you for letting us enjoy the time with him.....Cheers and Peace Out.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Bruins Fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say......I love this guy after 2 games. He is such a smart player who sees the ice so very good. I can tell he is steps ahead of opposing players and teammates. Love his cannon of a shot , and he seems to be a awesome team player. I hope you don't get him back this summer , if you do , I want to say thank you for letting us enjoy the time with him.....Cheers and Peace Out.
1677680767745.png

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I love him but his next contract was always going to make him paid more than what he would be for our team.
By that I mean:
- Carlson is PP1
- Orlov is LH which doesnt work for Ovi

7m means you have to be PP1 so its just unfortunate. Best of luck fella.
If you give me the option between Orlov and Carlson I take Orlov. I get that we already gave Carlson his money but Orlov is a better defenseman.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still call bunk that a left shot D at right point cannot pass to the LW cirlce yet a RH shot with a puck farther away from Ovi can having to pass across their body. A pass from Nick on the half wall on the LDs tape can be one touched pass to Ovi's wheelhouse.Its basically saying any off hand D can only make passes along the blueline or boards in front of them.

I also call bunk that Ovi can only score PP goals with a fixed static PP formation with every players handedness mandatory.

Tex would always fight me on this. At the root of it was me wanting to see Orlov on PP1.

Last edited:

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Not to mention, minimal PP and PK time, always eating the hardest minutes, without getting deployed in offensively advantageous situations with enough leeway a lot of the time to push forward. Was surely a trooper in his role here for sure and loved the team and city. I have a bad feeling Boston will move around a couple of pieces to keep him long-term, he is way, way too perfect there.

Also, talk about an embarrassment of riches……THREE #1D.

Yeah i never got why they never tried:

Kuzy/Bäckström behind the net
Ovi in left circle-Wilson/Oshie netfront-Orlov right circle

Carlson on the point.

With Orlov as a credible shooting threat other than Ovi, more goals for Ovi and Orlov i'd think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad