Original Mighty Duck, Todd Ewen passes away at 49

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't remember him playing, but of course have heard about him many times and seen a few fighting vids.

RIP :(

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Todd Ewen was my favorite original Mighty Duck. This is really sad news. As a former enforcer I'm terrified to find out if he took his own life. The issues plaguing these former players that took so many damage to their brains is really alarming.

Sadly TSN is reporting that he passed away from a self inflicted gunshot.

Another good guy taken too soon by the demons in his head.

RIP

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Very sad news. RIP Todd. Thanks for standing up for your Ducks teammates.

The NHL needs to start taking care of their players better during and after their NHL playing days are over.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That ****ing sucks. I love fighting in hockey but something has got to give..

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The next generation of kids being born right now will not know fighting existed in hockey until they are told by someone older. Whether you like it or not it's going to get filtered out of the game completely very soon. It's not going to be worth it anymore if these things keep happening

Horrible news, RIP

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
At same time, you wonder if proper concussion protocol would have reduced the severity of the head injuries from fighting too. No telling how much more damage was done to these players by likely playing through concussions and the like.

RIP Todd.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Help is needed for more than just the enforcers. Steve Montador, Tom Cavanagh and Kristians Pelss also ended their lives in recent years.

Off the top of my head I can't recall any former Duck passing away before Nathan Marsters, although he technically never played in the NHL. Then it was Salei and now Montador, Karpov and Ewen all in short time. RIP all of them. :(

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
This guy was a fan favorite back in the day. You could always count on a fight or two from him EVERY game. The days of having 2 enforcers ( him and Grim Reaper) at the same time, let alone 1 are long gone. The mighty ducks may not score on you, but theyll beat the snot outta ya. Lol those were fun times in the teams history. Being punched in the face by the likes of domi and probert day in day out.. well I can't imagine that goes over too well in the psyche, that was the old nhl. Thanks for the memories Todd.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
This guy was a fan favorite back in the day. You could always count on a fight or two from him EVERY game. The days of having 2 enforcers ( him and Grim Reaper) at the same time, let alone 1 are long gone. The mighty ducks may not score on you, but theyll beat the snot outta ya. Lol those were fun times in the teams history. Being punched in the face by the likes of domi and probert day in day out.. well I can't imagine that goes over too well in the psyche, that was the old nhl. Thanks for the memories Todd.

I saw an infograph a year or so ago about how despite being one of the newest teams in the league, they were one of the most penalized, with an astounding number of total fights, fight PIMS, ect. Was really neat

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I stumbled upon this article in LA Times from '94 about Ewen and his passion for writing and illustrating children's books. A very interesting glimpse on his personality, and a sad one given how his story ended.

There's also this tweet by Kerry Fraser:

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
This makes me profoundly sad. I am not afraid to admit that. Something needs to be done to help these players who are having problems adjusting to life outside the nhl. I suffer from ptsd, albeit in a minor form, but it has a significant impact on my life. More help needs to be given to these players. And I just don't mean enforcers or high pm players, but everyone. No matter the circumstances, if they need help, they should get it

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The next generation of kids being born right now will not know fighting existed in hockey until they are told by someone older. Whether you like it or not it's going to get filtered out of the game completely very soon. It's not going to be worth it anymore if these things keep happening

Horrible news, RIP

It will probably be a pure skill non-contact game in 50 years. Look at all the brain damage in football players. There is no fighting in football. Being body checked into the boards from any angle is probably not good for your brain. The whiplash from shoulder to chest hits can't be great for the brain either.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00