Organization Depth: Calder Cup Final Moose vs Current Comets

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
The Manitoba Moose made the Calder Cup Final.
It was the season that Gillis brought in AHL all-star Jason Krog
The Dallas Stars also used the Moose as an affiliate. memorable names like Ray Sawada and Greg Rallo, Max Fortunus.

How does the Calder Cup run back in 2009 tell you about the Canucks organizational depth at that time.
Versus the current Utica Comets strong start, and being one of the top teams in the AHL.

Most obvious difference is the Canucks own their minor league club now.

Question is: how is the success now different than what happened with that Moose team.
Does it translate to the big leagues, like what happened with Grand Rapids and Syracuse/Norfolk (Tampa). Or will it look more like the Hershey Bears with Alex Giroux & Keith Aucoin... where it doesn't translate to the big leagues

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
The Manitoba Moose made the Calder Cup Final.
It was the season that Gillis brought in AHL all-star Jason Krog
The Dallas Stars also used the Moose as an affiliate. memorable names like Ray Sawada and Greg Rallo, Max Fortunus.

How does the Calder Cup run back in 2009 tell you about the Canucks organizational depth at that time.
Versus the current Utica Comets strong start, and being one of the top teams in the AHL.

Most obvious difference is the Canucks own their minor league club now.

Question is: how is the success now different than what happened with that Moose team.
Does it translate to the big leagues, like what happened with Grand Rapids and Syracuse/Norfolk (Tampa). Or will it look more like the Hershey Bears with Alex Giroux & Keith Aucoin... where it doesn't translate to the big leagues

With the Comets using AHL vets in the key roles, I dont see it translating 100% into the NHL. What it will do is provide that competitive atmosphere and veteran mentorship of our prospects coming through that system.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With Markstrom playing the way he is, and having Eriksson to back up, I'd say the goaltending is roughly even (Cory Schneider was amazing for the Moose that season).

While I don't think anyone on the current Comets is quite the AHL Star that Jason Krog was, there's some similarities. Brandon DeFazio has definitely taken on the role that Guillaume Desbiens played on that Moose squad. I think an argument could be made that Bobby Sanguinetti is a better defenseman (AHL level) than anybody on that Moose team was, too. There's some good prospects in the mix too; that group had a 30-goal scoring Michael Grabner, and Cody Hodgson jumped in for the playoffs after his junior season ended. This one was Jensen contributing (hot and cold) while Shinkaruk and Gaunce are there in support roles.

The biggest difference - to me - is the presence of a guy like Mike Keane on the team. That guy was such a good role model for everyone and such a proven winner. The Comets definitely don't have someone with his pedigree, but maybe the Utica fans would be able to better speak to whether or not there is someone who could step into that role. You could argue Nolan Baumgartner was a pretty big locker room presence on that team, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad