O'Reilly trade proposal.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
Hi guys, Avs fan coming in peace. I haven't seen a trade related thread here, if I missed it I'm sorry....

Anyway I just wanted to see what you guys would think of this:

O'Reilly + 2nd round pick for Erixon + Columbus first round pick

I know that you guys have 3 first round picks this year, in what could be a really deep draft...

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Hi guys, Avs fan coming in peace. I haven't seen a trade related thread here, if I missed it I'm sorry....

I know that you guys have 3 first round picks this year, in what could be a really deep draft...

From everything JD has said and especially with the draft acumen of JK, I highly doubt we will move any of our draft picks.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC

I'd give up either the Kings but more likely the Rangers pick than ours.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

A likely top 5 pick and a decent defense prospect for a guy who's never scored 20 goals (and wants 5 million + ) + a 2nd?

No thanks.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
Realistically the Avs second round would probably be a high one, so I don't think that trading:

O'Reilly + high 2nd for Erixon + low 1st.... is really fair.

O'Reilly is already an elite two way center and he is only 22 years old. He can play on the PK, PP and be on the 1st/2nd line, and mostlikely will be a captain one day. I like to compare him to Ryan Kesler.
Believe me the Avs fans don't want him gone but it seems like we have reached the breaking point. The fact that the kid wants more than 5 Millions isn't confirmed. The Avs and their current management have an history of harsh contract negociation.
Look at Anderson who was sent to Ottawa because the Avs were not willing to pay him what he was worth, Fleishmann and Mueller now in Florida ect....

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I'll give you Brassard and our second round pick, which could be as high as 30th overall (depending on what the Devils do regarding their penalty from the Kovalchuk deal).

I really see O'Reilly as a moderate improvement over Brassard. I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as some of the guys we could take in the first round.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Realistically the Avs second round would probably be a high one, so I don't think that trading:

O'Reilly + high 2nd for Erixon + low 1st.... is really fair.

O'Reilly is already an elite two way center and he is only 22 years old. He can play on the PK, PP and be on the 1st/2nd line, and mostlikely will be a captain one day. I like to compare him to Ryan Kesler.
Believe me the Avs fans don't want him gone but it seems like we have reached the breaking point. The fact that the kid wants more than 5 Millions isn't confirmed. The Avs and their current management have an history of harsh contract negociation.
Look at Anderson who was sent to Ottawa because the Avs were not willing to pay him what he was worth, Fleishmann and Mueller now in Florida ect....

I like O'Reilly, he has a high ceiling, but I'd rather give up the Kings pick.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

No thanks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll give you Brassard and our second round pick, which could be as high as 30th overall (depending on what the Devils do regarding their penalty from the Kovalchuk deal).

I really see O'Reilly as a moderate improvement over Brassard. I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as some of the guys we could take in the first round.

This is pretty much what I was going to propose and why.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I have less than 0 interest in ROR for anything. He's Colorado's mess. Damned if I see a reason to make him ours.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't want to underrate O'Reilly because I know what he can become. And I know picks are overrated on here.

But I don't think it's at all a stretch to assume our 1st in 2013 could be used to draft someone like Mackinnon or Barkov. Those guys, in my opinion, can do more for this franchise than O'Reilly. Add on the fact that we would HOPE our high 2nd rounder pans out like Erixon and I think this is a deal Columbus would decline.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We need to keep all 4 picks unless the return is a proven all star under the age of 26 with a favorable contract. And even then, I'd be tempted to keep the picks and hope for the best.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I have less than 0 interest in ROR for anything. He's Colorado's mess. Damned if I see a reason to make him ours.

We need to keep all 4 picks unless the return is a proven all star under the age of 26 with a favorable contract. And even then, I'd be tempted to keep the picks and hope for the best.

It's not just the cost of acquiring him.

First he then has to be signed. Do we think he would be willing to sign here? We as a fan base are "looking North" and are excited about the future, will he be?

Second do we really want to invest the kind of money and term it appears he wants on a player with no more of a track record than he has demonstrated? I do not mean to denigrate his abilities, skill is in short supply around here , but it seems to me his ceiling tops about around a very good second liner. Is he really that much of an upgrade over what we have, or have coming?

Play out the year, see what we have in who we have. Go to the draft, get who we get. Look at the roster can we play with who we have (goalie)? Then play next year, and see what kind holes we have and who we need to fill them.

I pass on ROR. In fact unless it's a FA bargain that can't be resisted or a deal that can't be turned down, I think the CBJ are going to be pretty boring on the acquisition front for a while.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The only way I would consider O'Reilly was if the Aves did a sign-and-trade and he had signed the 5 year 17 million contract that he's been supposedly offered.

Too much risk to try and think that we'd be able to sign him to a reasonable contract, giving up prime assets to take the risk.

Even with a sign-and-trade, I don't think you are going to get an offer as sweet as the one you first posted.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We probably need to put a sticky somewhere that says "The chances of getting one of our first round picks is almost nil, especially OUR #1 pick. So don't bother making a proposal, especially if there is no official rumor for your player to our team. To do so it just going to initiate some flaming.".

I think I just answered this thread.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Am I the only person who wants to stay clear of guys in contract holdout situations? That sort of screams to me that he is not a team player.

Erixon situation aside, (I also seem to remember reading somewhere Erixon simply received bad advice telling him not to sign with Calgary and it was nothing personal against them) I'm not sure I want any of those guys.

Maybe it is a similar situation with O'Reilly but from what I've seen statistics wise, I wouldn't pay him 5 mil per year either.

At lease P.K. Subban figured out that he needed to go earn the money on his next contract he was asking for when he signed in Montreal.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
I really like ROR, but the most I'd offer is NYR's pick. Nothing more.

That's not a knock on ROR, I just think we need to focus on top line guys rather than 2nd line guys.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Am I the only person who wants to stay clear of guys in contract holdout situations? That sort of screams to me that he is not a team player.

Only if his or his agents demands are unreasonable. If the teaming holding his rights is low balling him, I have no issue with a hold out.

In this case the numbers I saw from the team seemed low. I don't remember what he was asking, but I remember getting the impression they were high.

Being a team player is one thing. Getting a good contract when you are one injury away from retirement is something you have to take care of as well.

I would look more at that players actions when he is on the ice and what he does in the locker room (or the impression around the league) more than a contract hold out when looking this type of situation. If you are willing to give the money and term the player is asking and the player is otherwise undamaged, I see no issue.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
At this point i would offed brassard, savard, and aa 3rdas in 2014 max. RoR is really good, but there is no reason to overpay. If we can get him by dealing depth/expendable players we should, but any high level assets (1st & 2nd round picks ) are more valuable in the long run.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
At this point i would offed brassard, savard, and aa 3rdas in 2014 max. RoR is really good, but there is no reason to overpay. If we can get him by dealing depth/expendable players we should, but any high level assets (1st & 2nd round picks ) are more valuable in the long run.

Pretty much his for me, though I'd prefer Brass and either Savard or a 2/3 round pick.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i think we have a group that are currently just as good as ROR...not interested in trading for him

IHeartZherdev*

Um, Columbus is in the running for the 1st overall pick in the draft. That pick alone is worth more than O'Reilly who has one good season under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad