Recalled/Assigned: O'Regan recalled (updated: sent down on 11/22)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I just thought about it and now I'm wondering how. Obvious answer would be that Hertl is on LTIR but all we've heard is that he's on IR and Labanc and Haley are still on the roster so... we should be over the cap right now.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I just thought about it and now I'm wondering how. Obvious answer would be that Hertl is on LTIR but all we've heard is that he's on IR and Labanc and Haley are still on the roster so... we should be over the cap right now.

capfriendly has Hertl listed as LTIR, but NHL transactions has Hertl as IR. We'll see, dam Sharks organization with clear communications.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Good for O'Regan and also good to see that we are giving the youngsters a chance. Very surprised though that O'Regan was called over Meier or Goldobin. But with Hertl gone, maybe they want to push Tierney back to #3C and try O'Regan as #4C?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A scout friend of mine told me that O'Regan has the skills and mentality of a center without the ideal size. That size would be mitigated as a winger, but his other skills would be underutilized on the wing.

It will be interesting to see how the Sharks deploy him.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
A scout friend of mine told me that O'Regan has the skills and mentality of a center without the ideal size. That size would be mitigated as a winger, but his other skills would be underutilized on the wing.

It will be interesting to see how the Sharks deploy him.

Considering the Sharks play a system where the wings become centers very often, this should work out as well as can be hoped for by the player you described.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
If they're gonna play him at center, putting him between Nieto and Boedker would give him a much better chance of succeeding than between Haley and Wingels...

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If they're gonna play him at center, putting him between Nieto and Boedker would give him a much better chance of succeeding than between Haley and Wingels...

The antiquated tradition of making young players work their way up as opposed to putting the player in the best position for the team to succeed.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Size didn't matter... if you're an elite skater. O'Regan is a good skater, but IMO not good enough for him to succeed long-term in the NHL if he doesn't work on it.

As I said in the other thread, O'Regan deserves a call-up as a reward for his good play, but it's been evident to me that Meier drives the bus on that line.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Size didn't matter... if you're an elite skater. O'Regan is a good skater, but IMO not good enough for him to succeed long-term in the NHL if he doesn't work on it.

As I said in the other thread, O'Regan deserves a call-up as a reward for his good play, but it's been evident to me that Meier drives the bus on that line.

I'd say O'Regan is a very good skate but needs to become more solid on his feet is he wants to become a truly elite skater, he lacks the polish of someone like Pickles. Unless he's grown and filled out a ton since his time at BU he's a very slight 5'9" and needs to bulk up. As I said in the gdt, I think he should play with Nieto, they had a ton of chemistry at BU and their speed always complimented each other. They need someone who is big and physical to round out that line, someone who is dogged on the puck, goes to the right areas, and can battle and dig the puck out of the corners.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd say O'Regan is a very good skate but needs to become more solid on his feet is he wants to become a truly elite skater. Unless he's grown and filled out a ton since his time at BU he's a very slight 5'9" and needs to bulk up. As I said in the gdt, I think he should play with Nieto, they had a ton of chemistry at BU and their speed always complimented each other. They need someone who is big and physical to round out that line, someone who is dogged on the puck, goes to the right areas, and can battle and dig the puck out of the corners.

O'Regan is a strong skater, no doubt, but my point is that he's not an elite skater, and players smaller than 5'10" MUST be elite skaters in order to survive in this league.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
O'Regan is a strong skater, no doubt, but my point is that he's not an elite skater, and players smaller than 5'10" MUST be elite skaters in order to survive in this league.

I agree, I was saying right along that O'Regan faced a longer and harder path to the NHL than Nieto. O'Regan made Nieto look huge at BU. I think he can get there but needs to add muscle and polish his skating. I don't know if he'll stick this time around but I'm hopeful he can put it together.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

What. Player is a good skater, but not good enough given his size?

I dunno how you can possibly judge that before he plays his first game. 100% might be right. But let's wait for this to unfold before we write him off.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Cuda have a game today too so that might be why but you'd think they'd send down Labanc too so who knows. Hopefully they aren't planning to just switch in Karlsson.

Perhaps, we'll see if he plays tonight. I think O'Regan needs more AHL seasoning. Still not sure why they didn't call up Carpenter to be the 4C. He has history with Haley.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What. Player is a good skater, but not good enough given his size?

I dunno how you can possibly judge that before he plays his first game. 100% might be right. But let's wait for this to unfold before we write him off.

1) Yes, that's precisely it. Name me an established NHL-player under 5'10" who isn't an elite skater. I'll wait.

2) I never wrote him off. Don't put words in my mouth. I said if he doesn't improve his skating a lot, he'll have a hard time in the NHL.

3) I've been watching O'Regan at various levels for like five years. I know what he is. What he isn't is an NHL-ready player right now. He plain and simply doesn't have the physical tools to make it in the NHL. I've watched 75% of Cuda games, and right now he is not dominating the AHL and his high point totals are more a credit to Meier than to O'Regan himself. You can point to Pavelski as an outlier all you want, but he's at least 5'10" and closer to 5'11". O'Regan is 5'9" at best and probably closer to 5'8". And besides that, O'Regan doesn't have the elite hands, hockey IQ, or shot that Pavelski has.

4) I desperately hope O'Regan becomes an established NHLer. I'm just tell it as i see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad