Proposal: Option Choc - Shock

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Just be patient. Rushing prospects and poor asset management isn't going to get us anywhere.
If you get a reputation of dealing with your veterans so cavalierly, good luck in attracting free agents in the future. Playing in Montreal is already a hard sell to many potential free agents who want to avoid the high pressure, high taxes and continuing linguistic uncertainties.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I know this is a bit wild, and not many teams would do this, but perhaps this management team is ready to think out of the box once again:

If Slaf, Heineman and Mesar finish the camp well, how about jolting the team and sending a message about playing with heart and drive for results.

Waive Drouin, Armia, Hoffman and send them to Laval when no one claims them. Tell them that their job is to hustle their a55es off and prove why they should be back in the NHL soon.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher
Heineman-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Evans-Mesar
extras: Pitlick, Pezzetta

Dadonov and Monahan get a chance because they did not mail it in for Montreal both last year and in this camp. Also, they may fetch value at the trade deadline.

Gallagher gets a chance because of the value hustle has for this club.

If Mesar is not ready, give the roster spot to the best of these three: Ylonen or RHP or Richard

Put the focus on teaching. Without pressure to never make a mistake, the youngsters should be lappnig things up and learning on the job.

Let the disappointed vets either show why the club made a mistake, or confirm that their cardiac problems are permanent.
Agents & NHLPA will blacklist Habs from future UFAs and trades. It’s one thing to waive an established NHL veteran who has had years of underperforming to their present contract, it’s quite another matter to waive a slew of them

Reactions: dinodebino

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Agents & NHLPA will blacklist Habs from future UFAs and trades. It’s one thing to waive an established NHL veteran who has had years of underperforming to their present contract, it’s quite another matter to waive a slew of them
If a player has any value at all he won’t clear waivers. If I was the GM I’d shop them around and let it be known they are going on waivers soon.

Tbh, I’d wait until after Xmas, let the kids acclimatize to being here, play in the WJC and let other teams create cap space for Armia or Hoffman. Buy them out in the offseason. Trade Drouin at the deadline.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Only attained by combing career totals, none of these guys get those numbers this upcoming season.
He said combined, meaning an average of 10 goals 17.33 points each.

Combining career total gets them to 347 goals and 821 points.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hughes has been far too long on the player side of things to do anything rash like a mass waive move of underperforming vets.

Reactions: sandviper

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If a player has any value at all he won’t clear waivers. If I was the GM I’d shop them around and let it be known they are going on waivers soon.

Tbh, I’d wait until after Xmas, let the kids acclimatize to being here, play in the WJC and let other teams create cap space for Armia or Hoffman. Buy them out in the offseason. Trade Drouin at the deadline.
You simply don’t do multiple buyouts or waiving established NHL regular, it goes against “da code”

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You are only partially right. The old regime told the youngsters they had to hustle and be perfect while tolerating the vets mailing it in and being unproductive and making as many mistakes or more.

Your plan would perpetuate that (keep the vets, worry the kids are not good enough), whereas a true new approach is to have the most meritorious players make the team, and the NHL development process done well, with players not punished for making some mistakes but improving as they are worked with.

What do we have to lose if Heineman, Mesar or Ylonen gets a chance over Armia?

Also, if Pitlick and Pezzetta are playing actually better than Drouin and Hoffman, then even if not waived to Laval, the latter two should sit their turns in the stands. That also passes a message.

“Partially right”, LMAO, like you’re an authoritative voice here compared to the rest of us.

I‘ll be to the point then… your strategy will keep us in the gutter for years.

To be clear, we definitely need to push forward with the youth but telling them to play hard and with passion is about a dinosaur of a style as it gets.

How about playing smart? Use your skills And what got you here? Yeah, of course you play hard and with drive, but doing this plus “sending a message” to vets with term is not going to help us. We’re rebuilding so if anything, you need to build up the ones on expiring contracts so that you can move them.

Reactions: Runner77

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
You simply don’t do multiple buyouts or waiving established NHL regular, it goes against “da code”
Like the Wild did with Suter and Parise?

Explain (with a link, if possible) about the purgatory they are in and how long will it last?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'd love to see it but it can only be done in the context of young players really deserving a spot. Which ones have clearly outplayed their veteran competitors? Beck..?

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
“Partially right”, LMAO, like you’re an authoritative voice here compared to the rest of us.

I‘ll be to the point then… your strategy will keep us in the gutter for years.

To be clear, we definitely need to push forward with the youth but telling them to play hard and with passion is about a dinosaur of a style as it gets.

How about playing smart? Use your skills And what got you here? Yeah, of course you play hard and with drive, but doing this plus “sending a message” to vets with term is not going to help us. We’re rebuilding so if anything, you need to build up the ones on expiring contracts so that you can move them.
Sorry, did you think I was suggesting the youngsters not play with skill???

Do you think Hoffman cares enough to use his skill? Does Armia? When Drouin comes up ice on the PP and passes the puck time after time to the other team's D at the blueline, is he playing smart?

Part of playing with passion and hustle is being willing to stand out and not just slide by.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't understand this constant all the vets suck mentality on this board...
All the vets? No. But you don't think Drouin and Hoffman suck? You don't think that where we are, whether Armia is present or not is irrelevant even if he doesn't suck all the time? Having said that, makes no sense to put kids in the NHL just for the pleasure of not seeing vets faces...what's most important is how the kids develop not who ugly our vets faces are...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
All the vets? No. But you don't think Drouin and Hoffman suck? You don't think that where we are, whether Armia is present or not is irrelevant even if he doesn't suck all the time? Having said that, makes no sense to put kids in the NHL just for the pleasure of not seeing vets faces...what's most important is how the kids develop not who ugly our vets faces are...
Correct. My premise was that the players taking the underserving vets' places have to earn their spots.

In the end, the shock might be just that Pitlick and Pezzetta play over Armia and Hoffman some nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad