Opportunities Arising For Brodeur

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I'd rather sign Bryz but first we need to trade Petry to Calgary for two prospects. Brodeur is done.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't see how Brodeur is done or how he wouldn't be an upgrade on Bachman as a backup if Fasth is out long-term and Eakins wants to ride Scrivens through this rough patch. Brodeur wasn't as bad last year as you guys are making him out to be and he earned a pretty decent chunk of playing time alongside Schneider not just on name value either. It would be a 1-year deal similar to Bryzgalov last season, so I don't see any harm in signing Brodeur...although I could see why Brodeur might want to continue waiting for a "better" opportunity to play behind a "better" defence elsewhere.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
On Brodeur:

1 - He won't play well on a team that doesn't do a good job of protecting the net.
2 - He wants to play for a competitive team.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Management will not bring Brodeur in, he has the experience and credentials to call them on the suck... and be heard.

He's also nowhere interested in this mess. He'll wait for someone to go down on a contender and hope to weasel his way into a nice gig.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
But why as a coach? I've heard nothing about his abilities to coach the position. Maybe get 99 to teach passing, Coffey to teach skating and Anderson to teach scoring clutch goals?

Because the goalie coach we have now makes goalies worse as they play here. If he would take the job I would love to have him as a goalie coach.

Gambl0r83*

I'd rather sign Bryz but first we need to trade Petry to Calgary for two prospects. Brodeur is done.

lol you wanna back this up?
His numbers still never went below 3.00 his entire career including last year

Don't just blend with the herd and say 'oh he's done' when you don't know the facts or even watched him play

lol :shakehead

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd rather have Bryz again. He actually did pretty well--especially with the joke of a defense he had in front of him.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I don't see how Brodeur is done or how he wouldn't be an upgrade on Bachman as a backup if Fasth is out long-term and Eakins wants to ride Scrivens through this rough patch. Brodeur wasn't as bad last year as you guys are making him out to be and he earned a pretty decent chunk of playing time alongside Schneider not just on name value either. It would be a 1-year deal similar to Bryzgalov last season, so I don't see any harm in signing Brodeur...although I could see why Brodeur might want to continue waiting for a "better" opportunity to play behind a "better" defence elsewhere.

Because he's been on a steep decline since 2010. Brodeur's SV% in New Jersey (bears repeating: in New Jersey) last year was .901 in 39 games. League average was .914. Schneider's was .921 in 45 games. The Devils give 10 of the starts they gave Broduer to Schneider, they make the playoffs. He's done, kaput.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
lol you wanna back this up?
His numbers still never went below 3.00 his entire career including last year

Don't just blend with the herd and say 'oh he's done' when you don't know the facts or even watched him play

lol :shakehead

What number is that?

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I'd almost think Bachman would be better. He's played good for us iirc.

Goaltending is the least of our worries imo.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Me sense would be he is not looking to sign anywhere or he would have signed somewhere by now.

He is either done or waiting to see who gets injured.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think he would be a great #2 for u guys. I don't think he would want to come, however. I say that because I think he wants to be in a team that has a chance to make the playoffs. But who knows, maybe if u offered him a 2 year de he would think about it.

The nords went through a similar process as u guys are going through. But to get out of it they tried bringing in a winning inluence by trading some good assets. ( in this case it was Sundin) but anyway, i think Brodeur could help the coaching staff in turning this team's spirit into a winning one.

I say its worth a shot because itwould cost no assets.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
But why as a coach? I've heard nothing about his abilities to coach the position. Maybe get 99 to teach passing, Coffey to teach skating and Anderson to teach scoring clutch goals?

Because once, a very long time ago now, we signed a legendary player well past his prime who was a total disaster for us on the ice. But while here passed on enough knowledge in one aspect of the game to just our centers to make them really good at faceoffs. Until we traded them.

Ever since then we've totally overblown the idea of signing all sorts of totally expired players with the idea that they'd teach some specific thing to our perpetually young players (seriously, we've had a "young" team for as long as I can remember. Our team doesn't age)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad