Opportunities Arising For Brodeur

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
After watching the Oilers game Wednesday — about midway through the third period, right around when Boedker's second goal squeaked through Scrivens — I got to thinking Martin Brodeur might not be a bad fit in Edmonton. So I decided to write a piece about the potential of that coming to fruition and figured I would share it here. Let me know what you think: http://thehockeywriters.com/masked-men-opportunities-arising-for-brodeur/

Gambl0r83*

100% agree. He will bring invaluable experience and can teach our goalies the essence of legendary goaltending. Ya his glory days are over, but imo, he will serve much more purpose and teachings than Chabot. He should be brought in now, waiting another 10 games will be a repeat of last year, even worse. A move like this could very well tilt the scale of Oilers luck

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
As a goatlender. No.
As a leader. No.
As a goalie coach. Maybe.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Brodeur as a goatlender.

But seriously, no to Brodeur and other FA goalies as well as long as our defenders doesn't have any idea what the hell they are doing. Fix the defence by fixing the coaching first, if Fasth and Scrivens are still crapping the bed, look for other options.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Brodeur can at least move the puck. If Fasth is out for any length of time (and if I were him I wouldn't come back) then I'd give Brodeur a look. Having a HOFer in the room might spark the kids a bit.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
people that were begging for peter mueller off waivers saying no to brodeur is hilarious.

Feb 9, 2013
Management will not bring Brodeur in, he has the experience and credentials to call them on the suck... and be heard.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
100% agree. He will bring invaluable experience and can teach our goalies the essence of legendary goaltending. Ya his glory days are over, but imo, he will serve much more purpose and teachings than Chabot. He should be brought in now, waiting another 10 games will be a repeat of last year, even worse. A move like this could very well tilt the scale of Oilers luck
Adma Oates did wonders for Horcoff and Stoll in 03-04. He taught them how to play centre properly and they did a 180 almost over night in Face off wins

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm imagining the goalie version of a 4 years older Ference. Yeah, let's do it, make him co-captain too. All in the name of Lowe leaving the organization.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Brodeur wasn't even good playing in front of NJ's system. Here he would be a complete, unmitigated, disaster.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brodeur wasn't even good playing in front of NJ's system. Here he would be a complete, unmitigated, disaster.

I'd add that him not having a training camp and sitting right now isn't going to make him any better either.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
As awesome as it would be, i dont want to spoil brodeurs legacy by ending his career with a sub .500 save percentage behind our D after which he calls it quits once he plays 2 games

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Plan C
2688534005_7c16908129.jpg

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I'd lose a lot of respect for him if he came here.

He's a HofF and one of the GOAT. For him to waste his legacy for another years paycheque playing for the worst pro sports franchise in NA would be embarrassing.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
We'd probably win the first game, with our young team playing extremely hard to make a hero from their childhood look really good. After the game, Eakins could say "look how hard you just played, you can do that every game!"

Actually, we'd probably just get ruptured and lose by six.

Has Thomas retired yet? We could bring him in, and not have to worry about ruining Brodeur's legacy ;)

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
People who worry about Brodeur's legacy seem to forget he did a good job squandering that on his own the last four seasons of below average play. He arguably cost the Devils a playoff berth last season for crying out loud.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
As a goatlender. No.
As a leader. No.
As a goalie coach. Maybe.

But why as a coach? I've heard nothing about his abilities to coach the position. Maybe get 99 to teach passing, Coffey to teach skating and Anderson to teach scoring clutch goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad