Blue Jays Discussion: Opponents shouldn't make Bautista angry. They wouldn't like him when he's angry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Looks like Bryce Harper is finally starting to blossom into the superstar we expected.

It's amazing that he's only 22. Most players his age, even some of the top prospects, are just working their way up through the upper minors at this point in their careers. Instead, Harper has three major league seasons under his belt, including two where he played at All-Star levels.

He's a ten months YOUNGER than Kris Bryant. He's only two months older than Dalton Pompey.

He's going to be so, SO good.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's amazing that he's only 22. Most players his age, even some of the top prospects, are just working their way up through the upper minors at this point in their careers. Instead, Harper has three major league seasons under his belt, including two where he played at All-Star levels.

He's a ten months YOUNGER than Kris Bryant. He's only two months older than Dalton Pompey.

Yeah but he's no longer the youngest player in the NL. :sarcasm:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
According to Davis, the flap in the roof is open. Possibility we play outdoor baseball tonight. I know I may not get there until 8, but this has me wanting to head down there.

Lineup:
Travis
Donaldson
Bautista
EE
Martin
Pillar
Colabello
Goins
Carrera

Buehrle v Sabathia

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Umps clearly make it up as they go along behind the plate, so why should ump-related discipline be any different? :laugh:

Hilarious how it works though. Multiple reports corroborate the story that no serious physical contact took place, MLB ignores that and gives Jacoby 14 games alleging he pinned the ump against a wall and had his arm at his throat. Because it would be so easy to confuse that with just shouting at each other before Hale intervenes.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Yeah people forget how young he is and he's still been pretty good though the hype surrounding was the most I've ever seen around a prospect. Trout turning into one of the best players to ever play the game at his age certainly didn't help Harper but its nice to see Harper is truly starting to put together an elite season. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What's the deal on Collabello?

I was looking over his numbers this afternoon. He's a career .313 hitter in the minors with a .386 OBP, yet he's almost 30 and this is just the third year he has appeared in the bigs. The most at bats he's ever had is just over 200. Usually guys with offensive numbers like that get some kind of extended chance in the bigs.

Is there a story behind why he's never been given an opportunity?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yeah people forget how young he is and he's still been pretty good though the hype surrounding was the most I've ever seen around a prospect. Trout turning into one of the best players to ever play the game at his age certainly didn't help Harper but its nice to see Harper is truly starting to put together an elite season. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

wonder what kind of contract Harper will be looking for long term if he has a great year? He could probably command 25-30 million a year on the open market. Nats payroll will be pretty top heavy when Harper and Strausburg get paid.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
According to Davis, the flap in the roof is open. Possibility we play outdoor baseball tonight. I know I may not get there until 8, but this has me wanting to head down there.

Will definitely take the late walk across tonight for some open roof

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
What's the deal on Collabello?

I was looking over his numbers this afternoon. He's a career .313 hitter in the minors with a .386 OBP, yet he's almost 30 and this is just the third year he has appeared in the bigs. The most at bats he's ever had is just over 200. Usually guys with offensive numbers like that get some kind of extended chance in the bigs.

Is there a story behind why he's never been given an opportunity?

He had a great start last year with the twins but struggled once teams started to adjust to him. Once teams get a book on how to pitch you it's all about making the adjustments which obviously he struggled with. He's a organizational filler at this point that is here to provide depth until some of the injured bodies get healthy. Big jump from facing AAA to MLB which is why you have so many AAAA players that dominate AAA but struggle in the majors.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
recently turned 20 yr old Jesus Tinoco is pitching the first of a double header for Lansing. He must've showed well in extended spring training. Hopefully he can improve on his career 2-19 minor league record.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How long of a rope does Mark Buerhle have? Is he going to get his ~32 starts regardless of how he pitches? If he is pitching this poorly come the All-Star break, I think the Jays will DFA him. I doubt he has much value in a trade anyway. Or is that absurd to think that he will get DFA'd?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
As long as the CN tower is big. Even if he was rubbish the rest of the season, he's a good mentor to have around on the young arms.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
wonder what kind of contract Harper will be looking for long term if he has a great year? He could probably command 25-30 million a year on the open market. Nats payroll will be pretty top heavy when Harper and Strausburg get paid.

Stratsburg or however you spell it ****ed up his shoulder last night. If it's really serious he may never get the top dollars. There is going to be big risk investing in him long term

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Stratsburg or however you spell it ****ed up his shoulder last night. If it's really serious he may never get the top dollars. There is going to be big risk investing in him long term

They're saying it's his back, and he's off to see a chiropractor (questionable decision). I have him on my fantasy team (along with Harper - woo!), so I'm hoping it's nothing major.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Injury-prone player - former Blue Jay department: Brandon Morrow on the DL after a nice start to the season with the Padres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad