OPPF2020 Quarter-Final: Montreal Wanderers vs. Richmond Renegades

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal Wanderers
latest

Lester Patrick

Sid Abel (A) - Mario Lemieux - Mike Bossy
Baldy Northcott - Jean Béliveau (C) - Patrick Kane
Zach Parise - Dave Keon - Boris Mikhailov (A)
Bill Barber - Peter Stastny - Todd Bertuzzi

Zdeno Chara - Paul Coffey
Sprague Cleghorn - Art Coulter (A)
Mark Giordano - Kevin Hatcher

Clint Benedict
Roy Worters

PP: Lemieux-Béliveau-Bossy-Cleghorn-Coffey
PP: Mikhailov(net)-Stastny-Kane-Chara-Barber

PK: Keon-Mikhailov-Chara-Coulter
PK: Abel/Lemieux-Northcott-Cleghorn-Hatcher

Vs.

RICHMOND RENEGADES
Richmond_Renegades.PNG

Coach - Punch Imlach

Doug Bentley - Frank Boucher - Gordie Howe
Esa Tikkanen- Peter Forsberg- Teemu Selanne
Ilya Kovalchuk - Doug Gilmour - Punch Broadbent
George Hay - Nick Backstrom - Joe Mullen

Scott Stevens - Doug Harvey
Victor Hedman - Alexei Kasatanov
Jim Schoenfeld - Brad McCrimmon

Frank Brimsek
Roberto Luongo

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Preliminary thoughts:

Montreal has the minor coaching advantage, with Lester Patrick being a Top 3-4 coach ever. Imlach is Top 10 so not that far behind, and Richmond has a great two-way center line to match his defensive style.

Richmond has the minor goaltending advantage, with Brimsek over Benedict. However Benedict has more playoff chops, and Montreal has a much better backup, whatever that's worth.

In terms of value, I see it like this:

Both 1st lines are near equal in value.

Stevens and Cleghorn are in the same ballpark as #2Ds (though I prefer Cleghorn).

Kane and Selanne are in the same ballpark (though I prefer Kane), as are Northcott and Tikkanen (I prefer Northcott but whatever).

Then Richmond has the major advantage of Harvey over Coffey, but Montreal has the major advantage of Béliveau over Forsberg. Let's call that a wash for our purpose.

We're left with Montreal having a better #3D in Chara over Hedman, and a much better 3rd line duo in Keon-Mikhailov over Kovalchuk-Gilmour. Those advantages are significant.

Furthermore, Richmond has 4 LHS centers, whereas Montreal has the ultimate kickass RHS/LHS combo in Lemieux and Béliveau.

Richmond has a better 3rd pairing.

Montreal has a better 4th line.

Richmond didn't post their special units, but no one can beat Montreal's top PP unit there, with both Lemieux and Béliveau being at the very top of the pyramid in terms of PP forwards, and then Coffey on the blueline.

PKs should be close. Richmond has the insane Stevens-Harvey pairing, but Montreal is not too shabby there with Chara-Coulter, and then Keon-Mikhailov upfront, which are not equaled by anyone on Richmond at first glance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad