Opinions on Dennis Wideman and Patrick Wellar sought

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by guitaraholic*, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Blues signed them as unsigned ufa's recently... any info/opinions/projections/talent analysis appreciated by those of you who follow Jr's closely.

thx.

2. Marshall

Marshall Hi beat writers!

Home Page:
    I have not seen Wellar, but tried to follow him for a few years when he was a Caps' prospect.

What I heard (again, I never saw him) was that Wellar is a physical, stay-at-home type, good character, good leader. Not gonna put up points, and his biggest draw-back is his skating.

Hardly definitive, but hope it helps.

3. Egghammer

Egghammer Registered User

Dennis Wideman is an offensive defenceman.

Regular Season
    GP G A PTS +/- PIM
    60 24 41 65 52 85

Playoffs
    GP G A PTS +/- PIM
    15 6 10 16 13 17

4. John E. Ringo

John E. Ringo Registered User

Home Page:
    Wideman

I've watched Wideman countless times over the past five seasons. He developed into a great junior defenseman after being dealt away from Sudbury (due to problems with old skool coach Bert Templeton). Wideman blossomed in London, becoming a real horse, playing 30+ minutes every night. He quarterbacked the PP, and was also their triggerman from the point, with a booming one-timer that he got on net.

IMO, Wideman will end up being a long-term excellent AHL defenseman but will struggle to reach the Show. He's a bit undersized and slow afoot, two traits that alone may not hurt him at the NHL level but together could spell big trouble.

I love the fire that he developed as his OHL career progressed. One game I saw him get stitched up after getting a stick in the mouth, come back with four minutes left and not leave the ice until regulation and the five-minute OT period was done. IIRC, he also assisted on the game-tying goal in the final minute. Classic and gutsy. But that won't necessarily translate to success at higher levels.

My two pennies worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.