Opinions on Coreau

nyrcup94

Jul 14, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit site
Hey everyone, non Red Wings fan here looking to get some opinions on Coreau. What does his future look like for the Wings? Will he be the backup to Mrazek next year? Will his numbers look better than what they were this year? He started out well and then he struggled. Thanks for the information.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He's a meh goalie. He'll be our (or someone else's) backup eventually probably but we have to find a way to get rid of Howard first. I'd never expect him to be better than an NHL backup, but I think he will do well in that role.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
From the games that I saw him play he still has some kinks in his game that he needs to work (eg: his rebound control and his glove specifically) but he has the skills to become a good backup if not an okay 1B goalie. He reminds me a bit of Lindback to be honest. If we can get 2-4 years of him being an okay backup I'd be happy.

As for next season, I highly doubt that the Wings are able to move Howard and with how Coreau fared in the NHL this year I doubt he would get claimed on waivers if he was sent down. I'd assume that even if Howard was moved the Wings would look at bringing in a veteran to back up Mrazek as I'm not confident in Coreau's ability to start 20-30 games in a season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think his ceiling is serviceable NHL backup who can win you a couple games if your goalie is out for a lil bit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Don't really have even mediocre expectations of him. He will be passed on the depth chart eventually

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
"okay backup" is pretty much his ceiling at this point and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks he can realistically be more than that

and i'm someone who was always higher on him than most throughout the years(usually had him around the bottom of my personal top 10 prospects)

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
AHL goalie with a chance to backup Mrazek when Howard gets injured.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Coreau has to play in 46 NHL games next year before he needs to clear waivers, even though I doubt he gets claimed anyway.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Anyone know if Joren VannyPots has any actual potential? I literally know nothing about the kid.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Could be a good backup. His size is easily his best asset and if he can quiet his game down and just be more consistent, he'll rack up decent save percentages and hold the fort pretty well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone know if Joren VannyPots has any actual potential? I literally know nothing about the kid.

Not sure, but Filip Larsson had some of the best numbers at the J20 level in Sweden.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Coreau has been pretty consistent here in GR and his big test will come up during the Calder Cup playoffs to see how far he can take the Griffins this season. What he does here in the playoffs might determine where he will be in 17-18. He got his feet wet in the NHL this season and he started out OK, but struggled at the end. Has potential, but he is not quite ready for the NHL. I feel he needs another season in the AHL, but it all depends on the other NHL teams going into next season if they are looking for a backup goaltender.

With the Wings technically having 3 number #2 goaltenders right now, one will most likely be no longer in the Wings organization for the 17-18 season (either through the expansion draft, trade over the summer, or by clearing waivers if all 3 last throughout the summer and into training camp). Time will tell.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Beside his size I saw nothing in 14 games that would suggest Coreau is even an NHL back-up. Too slow mentally and physically to be in a club of the top 62 goalies in the world. Who knows though in time, he's only 25 years old.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I see him as being a reilable NHL backup at best

Don't really like the fact that his game is mostly based on his size and not fundamentals. reminds me of a ben bishop. could really see him get exposed when the nhl finally cracks down on the size of goalie equipment

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Beside his size I saw nothing in 14 games that would suggest Coreau is even an NHL back-up. Too slow mentally and physically to be in a club of the top 62 goalies in the world. Who knows though in time, he's only 25 years old.

IMO this is an accurate analysis. I was really surprised at his inability to get from post to post quickly. For his size you'd think he could cover the whole net, but watching him move in an NHL game was disappointing. I thought I'd be surprised if he makes it back up regardless of Howard's fate.

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014
Have to echo a lot of what's already been said: he's not that good. OK NHL backup is his ceiling, I reckon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad