Opinions of these goalies

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Since i always see threads asking if players are HOF material. I figured i would ask for peoples opinions on these goalies.

Pete Peeters
Ken Wregget
Murray Bannerman
Chris Terrari
Glenn Healy
Tim Cheveldae
Michel Larocque

I only got to see Peeters play for 1 season and he was dreadful record wise as a Flyer in 90! Some people used to say he was for a few seaons a top tier goalie in NHL during mid 80's. Why did his career crash so much in later part of decade!

Wregget was never much of a goalie in my opinion. Pens would have been better off getting an upgrade during his time with team in mid to late 90's.

Bannerman looked good on Hawks and was an Allstar. But some of his postseason games were horrible. At least the games against the Oilers!

I always liked Terrari and thought he like Glenn Healy deserved to be starters in mid 90's. They both played well as starters for Islanders and Devils but were buried behind Allstars in coming years.

Cheveldae was good as a Redwing in early 90's and i never understood why he got such a raw deal in 94. He didn't deserve to be banished to Winnipeg.

Larocque was an excellent backup for Habs during there last dynasty and he played well after Dryden left but never seemed to get a chance to be the true #1. Why was that?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There's only one guy on that list that would be within shouting distance of the Hall of Fame and that's Peeters. The rest had moderate success at best and even on their best days were nothing more than just "alright" goalies.

Peeters is a guy that puzzles you. He was on the Flyers for that 35 unbeaten streak in '80 and actually went 29-5-5 for the season. Peeters was in net when Nystrom scored the Cup winner in '80. He was always a good goalie and then he has an insane season in '83 where he was a first team all-star and a Vezina winner. He played for Canada in the '84 Canada Cup, so he did have at least 2 seasons of elite hockey but that was it he was just a good goalie after that. If I can compare him to any other type of career I guess it would be Kolzig. One Vezina, no Cups, and never really struck fear into anybody. Just a good goalie with a good career, not HHOF though

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I have always had a mixed opinion with grant fuhr. During his prime with the oilers, there were seasons in which he played back up to andy moog or bill ranford. If he was as good as they say he is, i dont think he would have been a backup goalie for 35% of his career.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
When Glen healy left the rangers he became the starter for toronto. During his time with the rangers he was solid but not many goalies would be starting ahead of mike richter.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I have always had a mixed opinion with grant fuhr. During his prime with the oilers, there were seasons in which he played back up to andy moog or bill ranford. If he was as good as they say he is, i dont think he would have been a backup goalie for 35% of his career.

grant fuhr wasn't on the list....

Analyzer*

Tim Cheveldae was basically the piece of the Detroit Red Wings needed to replace. He was an alright goalie, to the point where he could be back up on some teams, but what Detroit really needed was another goaltender.

I think Ken Wregget was a starter for philly, or was he just a backup there too?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Ken Wregget was a starter for philly, or was he just a backup there too?

Primarily a back-up. he did start 51 games one year, but that was because Hextall was hurt all season.

His one moment of glory as a Flyer, was game 7 against the Penguins in the Patrick division finals. He hadn't started a game in nearly 3 months .. and beat the Pens in Pittsburgh 4-1.

One goal on 40 shots against Lemieux and the high powered Pens offense. :handclap::handclap:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Primarily a back-up. he did start 51 games one year, but that was because Hextall was hurt all season.

His one moment of glory as a Flyer, was game 7 against the Penguins in the Patrick division finals. He hadn't started a game in nearly 3 months .. and beat the Pens in Pittsburgh 4-1.

One goal on 40 shots against Lemieux and the high powered Pens offense. :handclap::handclap:

What's interesting is the Flyers gave up 2 first round picks to the Leafs to get Wregget. I wonder what the motivation was when they had a young Hextall?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Larocque was an excellent backup for Habs during there last dynasty and he played well after Dryden left but never seemed to get a chance to be the true #1. Why was that?

I always considered him the weakest link on the Habs dynasty team. He had some nice numbers, but that was due to the fact he played the weaker teams in the NHL. Any goalie in the NHL would have posted great numbers playing behind the Habs and feeding on the likes of the Rockies and Caps of that era. He was really exposed as the poor goalie he was once the Habs dynasty began to wane and his subsequent trade to the Leafs. He was considered the heir to Dryden, and given the #1 job once Dryden retired and fell flat on his face and was outplayed by the likes of Herron, Walmsley and Sevigny. Nice guy and all, but just not that great.

Ironically he was dealt for Robert Picard who in turn was dealt for the pick that would turn out to be Patty Roy, the true heir to Dryden.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Pete Peeters

One of the better goalies of the 80's

Ken Wregget

Wasn't the world's best goalie, more of a serviceable backup than anything else.

Murray Bannerman

A good goalie for Vancouver and Chicago during his career.

Chris Terrari

A good goalie but got buried behind Martin Brodeur during his time in New Jersey.

Glenn Healy

A better goalie than he is an analyst

Tim Cheveldae

This was the reason why Detroit needed a goalie in the early 90's

Michel Larocque

The only one on this list that I never heard of before this thread. Playing behind Ken Dryden can do that to a goalie.

Drago

Jul 12, 2006
Edmonton
This is a bit out of left field but...

When I was younger on one of the first Don Cherry Rock Em Sock Em Hockey tapes there was a goalie named Allan Bester for Toronto, he had some spectacular saves in the highlight package.

Whatever became of him and was he as good as the highlight package would lead me to believe?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This is a bit out of left field but...

When I was younger on one of the first Don Cherry Rock Em Sock Em Hockey tapes there was a goalie named Allan Bester for Toronto, he had some spectacular saves in the highlight package.

Whatever became of him and was he as good as the highlight package would lead me to believe?

Bester bounced around a lot after Toronto, but he had a decent yeoman's career:
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/bester.html

At five-foot-seven, it would have been tough to transition to the butterfly-type revolution.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Fuhr wasn't Moog's backup. They usually split duties in the regular season, but when the playoffs began it was Fuhr's team unless he was injured (that was why Moog was in goal for the Oilers first Cup win). He was never Ranford's backup, just frequently injured (1989-90), and suspended (1990-91).

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Fuhr wasn't Moog's backup. They usually split duties in the regular season, but when the playoffs began it was Fuhr's team unless he was injured (that was why Moog was in goal for the Oilers first Cup win). He was never Ranford's backup, just frequently injured (1989-90), and suspended (1990-91).

when it comes to all time rankings for goalies, where do you think he ranks. I know fuhr is better than someone like billy smith or gary cheevers, but hes siginificantly lesser than a hasek or broduer.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
when it comes to all time rankings for goalies, where do you think he ranks. I know fuhr is better than someone like billy smith or gary cheevers, but hes siginificantly lesser than a hasek or broduer.

Yes, Fuhr is definitely closer to Smith and Cheevers than Hasek or Brodeur. Overall, I'd probably have him somewhere between #20 and #30 all time. He was clutch for sure, if I was picking my goalie for a Game 7 situation only, he'd be much higher on the list. But as for his whole career, he's really hurt by the fact that he only played half seasons for a good chunk of his prime due to having another great goalie on his team. Fuhr and Moog were both top 5 in the league for some seasons in the 80's, how often does one team boast that kind of depth?

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Yes, Fuhr is definitely closer to Smith and Cheevers than Hasek or Brodeur. Overall, I'd probably have him somewhere between #20 and #30 all time. He was clutch for sure, if I was picking my goalie for a Game 7 situation only, he'd be much higher on the list. But as for his whole career, he's really hurt by the fact that he only played half seasons for a good chunk of his prime due to having another great goalie on his team. Fuhr and Moog were both top 5 in the league for some seasons in the 80's, how often does one team boast that kind of depth?

just for fun, could u make a list of your all time goalies. NHL only, cuz you cant judge how good tretiak is if he never played an nhl season. I mean i know its not his fault but there is no way he can be ranked higher than hasek since he played in an inferior league.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
just for fun, could u make a list of your all time goalies. NHL only, cuz you cant judge how good tretiak is if he never played an nhl season. I mean i know its not his fault but there is no way he can be ranked higher than hasek since he played in an inferior league.

I'm participating in the HOH Top 100 right now, so I don't want to give too much away, and also my opinion is subject to change as I hear the arguments in favour of other goaltenders.

Amongst those discussed already, my order would be Plante, Hasek, Roy, Hall, Sawchuk, but they're all very close to each other. Plante and Hasek I'd have just a cut above the other three.

My next five goaltenders, in no particular order, include Bill Durnan, Frank Brimsek, George Hainesworth, Ken Dryden, and Georges Vezina.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm participating in the HOH Top 100 right now, so I don't want to give too much away, and also my opinion is subject to change as I hear the arguments in favour of other goaltenders.

Amongst those discussed already, my order would be Plante, Hasek, Roy, Hall, Sawchuk, but they're all very close to each other. Plante and Hasek I'd have just a cut above the other three.

My next five goaltenders, in no particular order, include Bill Durnan, Frank Brimsek, George Hainesworth, Ken Dryden, and Georges Vezina.

Brodeur should certainly be in the 5-10 range .. and by the time he's done, likely knocking on the top 5.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Since i always see threads asking if players are HOF material. I figured i would ask for peoples opinions on these goalies.

Pete Peeters
Ken Wregget
Murray Bannerman
Chris Terrari
Glenn Healy
Tim Cheveldae
Michel Larocque

As others have mentioned, Peeters is easily the best of that group. He was a top-5 goalie from 1979-84, winning the Vezina in 1983 and finishing top-5 in All-Star voting 3 of the other 4 years in that stretch. Selected for the 1984 Canada Cup. Mysteriously lost it during the 1984-85 season and then spent most of the rest of his career as a mediocre platooning starter or backup. But for a 5-year stretch, he was a pretty elite goalie.

Bannerman was outstanding in his first two full NHL seasons in 82-83 (where he was 3rd in Vezina voting) and 83-84, but went downhill in a huge hurry and was out of the NHL by 1987. Getting torched by the Oilers in the '85 playoffs seems to have been a turning point in his career as he was never remotely the same after that.

Wregget and Healey were almost the same player with careers that directly overlapped. Both were lower-echelon starters who had a few losing seasons where they played 50+ games, but were able to carve out long careers as elite backups. Both also won a Cup in the early 1990s.

Cheveldae was an acrobatic Vernon-type guy who appeared/won a lot of games for Detroit from 1990-93, but was the weak link on a strong team and was brutal in the playoffs. Was blamed for some early exits, shipped out to Winnipeg, and once away from Detroit was never more than a mediocre backup, and out of the league in a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad