Opinion: Time to Stop Booing Rick Nash

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I still want him back on a "last hurrah" low-value contract someday at the end of his career. Just for the feels.

Keep your hands to yourself! :naughty:

No doubt he WAS the franchise for several years - and therein lies my ambivalence. On the one hand he was as talented and big as anyone in the league, and could bring it on occasion. On the other hand, he was a follower and did not bring it consistently nor did he inspire others to do the same. And we all saw that he "coulda" done....

Never mind... starting to sounds like one of my golf partners after a round - famous for "Coulda....Woulda....Shoulda....." turning what on the card is 79 into 68.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Nash isn't a CBJ and if the boo-ing had even the slightest impact, i.e. has the puck, boo, shanks a pass or shot on goal, then it's all good. But realistically, it's just dumb.

Hate for Carter, Foote though...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Sports are one area were I never forgive players. As a diehard cavs fan I still have an extremely hard time.accepting lebron back after the decision but people saying the 4 years he left was like going to college which he never did which made sense to me and I accept that reasoning which makes it easier on me to not hate or boo him anymore.

But guys like nash who not only ask to be traded but then limit the market i really don't like and then the disrespect he showed getting dirty against Bob and all that. The guy is never welcome.back in my opinion. When you have veterans like boll who is crushed that he will never have a chance to wear that jersey again and guys like Jones who literally just got here but wanted to sign before July 1st so there would be no ******** with offersheets because he wants to stay and believes in us. Those are the guys that will never get booed. Honestly I'd be fine with booing rychel for pulling the same garbage.

Basically boos are reserved for guys who think the name on the back is more important than the name on the front.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
It's not like he asked for a trade out of the blue. He was 100% committed to this team and didn't request a trade until they told him we were going to try rebuilding, again. And this is after the fan base had started the protest. The fans are allowed to upset and sick of losing but a player is just supposed to take it? If that was happening to any one of us at their job they would have quit to.

As for the all the he didn't carry the team, you can't build a team around one person. I give the front office credit for trying to bring in other players, but they never panned out. I think people wanted him to carry this team on his back in an realistic way.

The way I remember the Bob shove he deserved it. From what I remember a couple of the Jackets forwards were taking jabs at Nash all night, he had a breakaway or drove the net and a damn took him down. Nash goes to pick up his stick that he dropped and Bob swats it away with his stick, resulting in a shove. Bob is a grown man, if he is man enough to knock his stick away, then he is man enough to deal with the retaliation. It's like you think anyone in a jackets jersey is a saint.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
The way I remember the Bob shove he deserved it. From what I remember a couple of the Jackets forwards were taking jabs at Nash all night, he had a breakaway or drove the net and a damn took him down. Nash goes to pick up his stick that he dropped and Bob swats it away with his stick, resulting in a shove. Bob is a grown man, if he is man enough to knock his stick away, then he is man enough to deal with the retaliation. It's like you think anyone in a jackets jersey is a saint.

You remember correctly.
Nash was getting the sh** beat out of him all night, and Bob swatting Nash's stick away was kind of the last straw. Nothing out of the usual. But like so many other times, the crowd saw what they wanted to see. Thus, a villain was born.
(And yes, I was there, and yes, I was booing him that night. But I felt really bad about it.)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'll stop booing Nash when he 1.) pulls on a CBJ jersey again or 2.) retires. Jeff Carter, on the other hand, I'll boo him if I see him shuffle his walker across the buffet line at the MCL 30 years from now.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Rick Nash failed to acknowledge the CBJ faithful after his tribute. That's when the booing started. Its the only time I booed him and lost respect for him. No stick tap, no smile, nothing. No wave, no stop to look up, nothing. He was my and my wife's favorite player. I lost respect for him that night. I don't boo him but on that night I did.

I don't blame him for wanting out. I was disappointed he limited his options but that was his right. He's done a ton for the community and was the franchise. Thankful for that but no acknowledgement... That hurt.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I feel the same way about Penguin fans that boo Jagr.

At the same time, if you pay for the ticket you have every right to boo.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I give credit to Nash for his time here.

But reason I boo is he forced his way into the captain position when he clearly wasn't ready, he turned on Hitch and he asked for a trade.

Listen I know he's a nice guy, but if he would have stood up to Brassard (and I use him as an example) and said "He's our coach play the way he wants you to play" who knows how this would have ended up. He didn't. He said sorry after he was fired but he quit playing the way Hitch needed him to.

He was trying to be like Crosby and wanted that C. He wasn't ready and team should have told him so, but he was the star and they gave it to him. I further understand there are leaders who say follow me and leaders who are vocal, etc. But Rick is not vocal and only showed flashes of his potential. You accept that with good players but you expect a captain to lead, he didn't.

Finally when things got so bad that even the FO said we have to try something different he asked out. Yes the FO made bad decisions, but Nash certainly didn't help things.

So I'll bee him if I want to. I'll always boo Foote as well. it's my choice, I could care less what others do/don't do.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'll stop booing Nash when he 1.) pulls on a CBJ jersey again or 2.) retires. Jeff Carter, on the other hand, I'll boo him if I see him shuffle his walker across the buffet line at the MCL 30 years from now.

I'll agree with this as well.

To me, it's just sports. Its entertainment.
Booing is a part of that just like NHL players can be the best of friends before and after games but best the daylights out of each other on the ice.

Nash is a nice guy. He's done great things off the ice. He's been a top paid player in the league for years now though so he gets booed. Big whoop. Did I care when a good friend of mine was the catcher for another team and would yell easy out every time I came to the plate? No. Did I care when crowds booed me at hockey or friends hit me? No.

I think people need to remember on ice and off ice are two different worlds. Accept that and let the boo flow.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think people need to remember on ice and off ice are two different worlds. Accept that and let the boo flow.

4f1.jpg

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I never booed him to begin with. He's just not a believable villain imo, but I did get a kick out of the Calvert business.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Admittedly I booed him in his first game back in NWA. Rather heartily too in order to alert those around me when he had the puck so my section was fairly vocal.

I got it all out of my system that day. Have seen him at least 2-3 times since. Also doesn't hurt that he's been invisible in most of the games.

All that being said, I think he will come back after this contract runs out, especially if we're close to contending. I along with 90% of the fanbase will welcome him back.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think the only time I ever booed Nash is when he got mixed up with someone on our team during, what I think was, that playoff season. Nash got testy and I treated him like any other opponent in a similar circumstance.

Totally different than booing him for asking to be moved. I understood his reasoning and, honestly, it was pretty justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad