[Opinion Piece] Canucks will look to add a Top 4 defenseman by Trade this off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep. During 2010-2011 season, there were many people who went to the games just so they can talk about it at work.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think you guys are giving way to much credit to the average fan. I don't think most people at the games really know jack about hockey, they're just people lucky enough to have expendable income looking for some entertainment. If the team sucks they'll find something else to do.

If the water cooler talk were better I wouldn't have to put up with you guys.

Completely agree with this. People go to games to be entertained and this team is really really really not entertaining right now.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
This city does not support losing sports franchises. It's that simple. Regular Joe Dad can't afford tickets because his mortgage/rent is through the roof and the cost of MSP/Hydro/groceries keep rising.

GailWilliams

Mar 11, 2015
Victoria, BC
This city does not support losing sports franchises. It's that simple. Regular Joe Dad can't afford tickets because his mortgage/rent is through the roof and the cost of MSP/Hydro/groceries keep rising.

I don't understand your argument?

Ticket prices are lower when the Canucks are not a contender, now is probably the easiest time for Regular Joe to catch a game.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Ticket prices are lower when the Canucks are not a contender, now is probably the easiest time for Regular Joe to catch a game.

Not to make the kind of game pack or half season or seasons tickets investment. Not many working stiffs make that kind of up front payment on low quality entertainment.

Working people are by in large left out of the ticket holder equation.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
This market doesn't like to be conned. This market will support a rebuild IMHO, new fresh produce, it might take a while to cook but that is ok, McDavid would sell here even on a rebuilding team. What this market won't eat are stale 3 day old leftovers they served up. If they serve it up again next year it will just get worse.

You're giving too much credit to this market. The average fan doesn't even know if Kesler is still with the Canucks. And they won't support a rebuild. The people on HFBoards will, but hint: what does the "HF" stand for?

People that support the rebuild are people who know about Auston Matthews and Nolan Patrick. And the amount of people in Vancouver who are aware of those names are zero-to-none.

Look at the attendance the past 2 years. Declining every single year to the point you cna now buy tickets for $20! And still, there are better ways to spend $20 on entertainment. That's like 2 movies on a Tuesday.

As a fan myself, I would support the rebuild, but I know a lot of people in Vancouver wouldn't. You really don't need to look at any advanced stats to figure this out. Attendance alone tells the whole picture.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
really the only UFA I'd be interested in is boedker and thats only if his $$$ is reasonable.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Ticket prices are not worth it to potentially be going to a game where you watch the team get its ass kicked. How is that complicated? NHL prices itself out of the market when the bad times hit.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
again, does it really matter if the average fan supports a rebuild or not? The need to rebuild has been on the horizon forever. they tried to fight it and it's here and the audience is dissatisfied anyways. Worse than dissatisfied - your hardcore fans are also dissatisfied so they're not generating any good will to the casual fan either. there's no hope to sell the casual fan because the hardcore fan is telling anyone who will listen that hope is false.

there's another reality where the rebuild is well planned and executed and communicated (in our reality, they've failed on all three). Yes your casual fan checks out but your hardcore fans and national media perceive things as going well and that reaches the casual fans keeping them at least engaged and interested (if not committing $$$). good will trickles down to them instead of incredulous bitterness so that when the team does start to become competitive the casual fans come back quickly.

Instead we have scorched earth.

Last edited:

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
So basically Vancouver is like an American city. Other Canadian cities will support a rebuild. We know from experience that most American cities would have empty buildings with a bad/rebuilding team. Fortunately there are only a couple bad American teams right now.

I always thought Vancouver was like LA on a smaller scale. Very few diehard sports fans. And they're considered to be geeks who buy sports memorabilia. Too many other things to do. I mean people don't really care if there is an NFL or a NHL team in LA. They'll just do something else.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The directive is from ownership imo. If these guys continue to fail at the retool, a new group will be brought in to do it.

It may be and likely is. And that was fine two years ago to be honest. Now I wonder if the directive remains re-tool solely because that was the parameters they hired this crew under and asked them to fulfill. If (when) they fail does ownership still provide the same direction to the new guys?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So basically Vancouver is like an American city. Other Canadian cities will support a rebuild. We know from experience that most American cities would have empty buildings with a bad/rebuilding team. Fortunately there are only a couple bad American teams right now.

I always thought Vancouver was like LA on a smaller scale. Very few diehard sports fans. And they're considered to be geeks who buy sports memorabilia. Too many other things to do. I mean people don't really care if there is an NFL or a NHL team in LA. They'll just do something else.

Very few cities can fill seats when a team is losing long term. Calgary certainly couldn't. Edmonton does (sort of) but it hasn't been difficult to get a ticket to see the Oilers for years. Winnipeg I don't think can.

It's not a complicated formula...winning teams = money. losing teams = less money

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Very few cities can fill seats when a team is losing long term. Calgary certainly couldn't. Edmonton does (sort of) but it hasn't been difficult to get a ticket to see the Oilers for years. Winnipeg I don't think can.

It's not a complicated formula...winning teams = money. losing teams = less money

Problem is, unlike us, the Oilers have a 'winning tradition' in the not that distant past. The Flames inherited a .500 club that routinely made the playoffs when they were in Atlanta. Us? We got the crap that you scrap off the bottom of your shoes when you 'step in something bad'.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So as per MacIntyre the Canucks will look to add Via Trade to the top 4.

Who do we look to add?
Who/what do we give up?
Where do they slot into the lineup?
What does this mean for Dan Hamhuis?

Source @ 13:00
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/sekeres-and-price-april-19-hour-2-1.474596

If we miss the opportunity to draft Matthews, Laine, or Puljiujarvi, perhaps the Canucks will move their 1st to Anaheim for Sami Vatanen? I haven't analyzed the Ducks' cap, but aren't they pressed up against it?

2016 1st + #SomethingMinor should be able to land Vatanen.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If we miss the opportunity to draft Matthews, Laine, or Puljiujarvi, perhaps the Canucks will move their 1st to Anaheim for Sami Vatanen? I haven't analyzed the Ducks' cap, but aren't they pressed up against it?

maybe the Canucks could trade kesler for Vat... oh... :(

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
You don't have to. TO's management simply spoke to their fans.

Not the same at all. Toronto has season tickets passed down in wills, they are that valuable there. Vancouver doesn't have that luxury of a die-hard, ride or die fan base. Ours come out of the shadows when things are going good and scurry back to the cracks and crevices they came from when things go south again.

You're giving too much credit to this market. The average fan doesn't even know if Kesler is still with the Canucks. And they won't support a rebuild. The people on HFBoards will, but hint: what does the "HF" stand for?

People that support the rebuild are people who know about Auston Matthews and Nolan Patrick. And the amount of people in Vancouver who are aware of those names are zero-to-none.

Look at the attendance the past 2 years. Declining every single year to the point you cna now buy tickets for $20! And still, there are better ways to spend $20 on entertainment. That's like 2 movies on a Tuesday.

As a fan myself, I would support the rebuild, but I know a lot of people in Vancouver wouldn't. You really don't need to look at any advanced stats to figure this out. Attendance alone tells the whole picture.

Hypocritical fans?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Problem is, unlike us, the Oilers have a 'winning tradition' in the not that distant past. The Flames inherited a .500 club that routinely made the playoffs when they were in Atlanta. Us? We got the crap that you scrap off the bottom of your shoes when you 'step in something bad'.

I prefer to call it a cult-like worship born from past glories that keeps Edmonton's seats filled, even though they've been losers for the past two decades. I don't mean that to bash Edmonton, to be fair I consider Vancouer's general fan base to be the emo kids.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

You seem to want to trade that 1st round pick hard. if we pick 4th or 5th draft Tkachuk or Dubouis we need these just as much or more than Vatanen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Here's the thing, though :

The team will suck if we rebuild, yes.

But where we sit now, if we try to stay competitive ... we're still going to suck. And nobody will care. Like what happened this year.

There will be a low ebb in fan interest over the next 5 years no matter what we do. So we might as well do things properly.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

Thank god your not GM. Even Benning wouldn't do this.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
It was never a rebuild and always a retool. The lack of interest in the team during the accidental tank did nothing but reassure ownership that they were right about this market and a rebuild.

It wasn't a rebuild though. Who would get interested in an incompetent disaster? I'm as pro-rebuild as anyone and I wasn't "excited" or "interested" in the embarrassing display this organization put on over the last 12 calendar months.

But, really, you're agreeing with my point. It should be a glorious explosion.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Illogical. When did an "accidental tank" become a full rebuild? Further, how would they know what the fan reception would be? This team hasn't had a full rebuild since 1999. And with the way demand has plummeted, would the bottom line be much different?

The fans in this city are knowledgeable. They can recognize a bad product, rebuild or re-tool, when they see it.

I'd argue they haven't had an actual, intelligently planned rebuild since 1988 or so.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yeah I couldn't agree more.

Like honestly, I can't really comprehend how this isn't generally accepted.. don't you all know a person or two who has had season tickets almost entirely for the purpose of reselling the tickets?

It's clear that the market was overheated before but regardless it's even more clear that it's now fallen off a cliff relative to that.

People don't want to shell out to see this team.

Yes, but... when the team continues to flounder, the same thing will happen -- and then they'll have to start rebuilding anyway. The path they've chosen will probably lead to more fan apathy than an actual rebuild would.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Not to make the kind of game pack or half season or seasons tickets investment. Not many working stiffs make that kind of up front payment on low quality entertainment.

Working people are by in large left out of the ticket holder equation.

But working people suddenly have 10k to blow on two season tickets if the team is good?

I'm not following this line of reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad