Opinion on the Blues' Deadline as a Whole

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Chris Stewart has never been a power forward, I dont know why people would expect him to become one now

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
If it still counts for anything seeing as we've slightly derailed this thread, I'm fairly content with the deadline moves.

I really like the Michalek trade seeing as it ended up being more or less a one-for-one move. I really liked what I heard about Letunov, but he was a few years out minimum so I'm fine with letting him go.

The Bortuzzo trade I was a little confused by, and I was slightly disappointed with the return, but hopefully Bortuzzo brings the physicality to the blue-line. I don't know much about him and nothing from his games against us in Pittsburgh really stands out to me, but I didn't see Cole developing or bringing any more to us so I'll take a small shake-up there.

Jokinen I'm a little confused by. I guess he was just a depth signing? I don't know that he really fills any need even when he is in the lineup, but I don't dislike it per se. It'll be interesting to see what his dynamic is with the team even via comments made by other players regarding having him around in practice, in the locker room, his veteran presence, etc. Lindstrom wasn't going to do anything with the spot I imagine Jokinen just took, so it seems like a trade with little relevance. If nothing else, Armstrong took a pretty low risk chance so we'll roll the dice and see if anything comes of it.

Captain America*

why? and more than stewart is good please. lets get some actual analysis of how stewart helps the team in those 8 minutes

The same reasons why Chicago, Boston & Minnesota had interest in acquiring him for their 3rd/4th lines.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Stewart has the skillset that get lots of GMs interested. It's easy to see why teams keep giving him a chance. I imagine he's a lot like that struggling QB with all the tools. Every coach thinks they can be the one to finally harness his physical tools(because he's a very gifted athlete), but it never comes together. The only places I can see him being successful is Chicago, Pittsburgh, and maybe back in Colorado. Wide open, fast paced game, cheating on the offensive side of the puck constantly, with dmen that are great passers(well, Chicago and Pittsburgh have this). He could be a good player in the perfect scenario, but he's not a guy that's so talented that you change the system to fit(like Kane and Crosby/Malkin).

Captain America*

well its a good thing GMs are never wrong and overpay for the wrong commodity :sarcasm:

There are reasons why teams wanted to add him for the final 20 games and playoffs; grit, toughness, can play on PP and can score 15-25 goals. Those players are rare.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
There are reasons why teams wanted to add him for the final 20 games and playoffs; grit, toughness, can play on PP and can score 15-25 goals. Those players are rare.

He's scored 11 goals in 62 games this season so to insinuate that he'd score 15-25 in the next 20 games plus playoffs is completely asinine.

Captain America*

He's scored 11 goals in 62 games this season so to insinuate that he'd score 15-25 in the next 20 games plus playoffs is completely asinine.

H-e.....i-s....c-a-p-a-b-l-e......o-f.......s-c-o-r-i-n-g....15-25.....g-o-a-l-s......a......s-e-a-s-o-n

Captain America*

Which isn't what you said in your post. How does it help your point that he would help a team in 20 games if it takes him 82 games to potentially score 15 goals?

That is why teams were willing to take a chance on Stewart; to help with the rest of this season (supply size, grit, toughness, a net front presence on the PP, protect teammates and the occasional goal), the playoffs and the hopes of re-signing him because he has the ability to supply those attributes and pop in at least 15-25 goals a season.

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
Did some people forget that we had Stewart and saw multiple seasons of him?

His inconsistency was always his biggest problem, and that doesn't seem like something we need going into the playoffs. We have 4 lines that all operate pretty well, and some good outside depth to fill in holes as needed.
I just don't see how Stewart brings anything back that he lacked before when he was traded. He never seemed to find someone to operate with consistently, and scored in spurts.
If i had to pick someone to sit on the side and watch, it would be someone like Olli, who knows he has to fight for the spots, but has played long enough, and been around enough teams to know that nothing is guaranteed, and his role is what it is.

I really liked Stewart, and when he was on, he was great to watch, but the man was just way to inconsistent to be a piece we hope to help us in the playoffs.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think they'd be closer to Lindros than a 4th line player. Stewart with Reaves' tenacity and hitting ability would be insane.

Stewart would have to be Gretzky to get a Lindros-type when combined with Reaves.

If you mixed Reaves and Stewart, you'd end up with Probert. A guy who could score 20 and knock your ass out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Stewart would have to be Gretzky to get a Lindros-type when combined with Reaves.

If you mixed Reaves and Stewart, you'd end up with Probert. A guy who could score 20 and knock your ass out.

haha, that's a better comparison than mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad