Opinion on the Blues' Deadline as a Whole

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
John Scott is more physical than both of them but that doesn't make him a better defenseman. Physicality is one tool a good player will possess. Bortuzzo certainly has it. Cole had it too, Bortuzzo has more of it. Cole is a better transition player and has much better offensive instincts. Cole could also get pucks on net. Handedness isn't a factor when asking who the better player is either. I don't mean to single you out but I've seen people giving Bortuzzo stars of the game whereas he's really been an average defensemen. Is he really any better than Cole? Or do people like him because he's somebody other than Ian Cole? This same thing happened with Butler the first few games he played this season.

I think it's just that it's a breath of fresh air to have a physical defender like Bortuzzo despite his shortcomings. New toy syndrome combined with an element that was lacking(hitting, aggressive play and fighting.) Many have wanted a bigger Jackman for years now so I imagine that plays a part as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
John Scott is more physical than both of them but that doesn't make him a better defenseman. Physicality is one tool a good player will possess. Bortuzzo certainly has it. Cole had it too, Bortuzzo has more of it. Cole is a better transition player and has much better offensive instincts. Cole could also get pucks on net. Handedness isn't a factor when asking who the better player is either. I don't mean to single you out but I've seen people giving Bortuzzo stars of the game whereas he's really been an average defensemen. Is he really any better than Cole? Or do people like him because he's somebody other than Ian Cole? This same thing happened with Butler the first few games he played this season.

At no point did I personally want Butler over Cole. Bortuzzo has shown in his small sample size to be just as good as Cole in the transition, now he may go completely to crap the next game but given he's playing on a new team for the first time in a new system he's been pretty good. Cole may have a slight nod in jumping up in the play, but on the effect of the team play. It's marginal. I liked Cole but with him wanting to move on and never flourishing in his chance. I'll take Bortuzzo over him.

This is all fairly a moot point considering neither would play once Michalek is back

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
At no point did I personally want Butler over Cole. Bortuzzo has shown in his small sample size to be just as good as Cole in the transition, now he may go completely to crap the next game but given he's playing on a new team for the first time in a new system he's been pretty good. Cole may have a slight nod in jumping up in the play, but on the effect of the team play. It's marginal. I liked Cole but with him wanting to move on and never flourishing in his chance. I'll take Bortuzzo over him.

This is all fairly a moot point considering neither would play once Michalek is back

I agree and this is the key. Bortuzzo, Cole, and Butler are all not ideal but reasonable enough options for 6th D-man heading into April, but I'm much happier with Michalek there if he can be healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad